What an Effing Creep-Show...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
Just when you though they couldn't sink any lower...At about 12:10 Eastern Time, the senate killed S.AMDT.2476, also known as the "Dorgan Amendment". This amendment, introduced by Senator Byron Dorgan(D-ND), to the 2006 defense authorization bill would have established a commission to investigate contractot fraud, abuse and war profiteering In Iraq.

It would have used, as its template, the Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program, the Truman Committee, of WW II. As we all know, this committee saved US taxpayers what would have amounted to billions in current US dollars. But rather than do the right thing this amendment was defeated, Yea: 44, Nay:53. I don't know the breakdown of the vote, But I would be more than willing to bet that it was along party lines. The last vote I heard was that of Senator Bill Frist, who (<b>SURPRISE!</b>) voted against it. A call to Senator Mike DeWine's office, Republican Senator from Ohio and my Senator, voted "NO" also.

What is the Reublican Senate leadership afraid of? Are they worried about their connections to the various contractors being revealed? If they've violated no laws or Senate ehtics rules, What do they have to worry about? What don't they want revealed? <b>WE, THE PEOPLE...</b> have a right to know how our taxpayer dollars were misused, wasted and/or stolen. There has still been no accounting of the $8.8 billion that went missing during Proconsul Bremer's tenure in Iraq.

Call you Senator and demand an accounting...<b><font color=red>NOW!</font></b>

Bullypulpit said:
Just when you though they couldn't sink any lower...At about 12:10 Eastern Time, the senate killed S.AMDT.2476, also known as the "Dorgan Amendment". This amendment, introduced by Senator Byron Dorgan(D-ND), to the 2006 defense authorization bill would have established a commission to investigate contractot fraud, abuse and war profiteering In Iraq.

It would have used, as its template, the Senate Special Committee to Investigate the National Defense Program, the Truman Committee, of WW II. As we all know, this committee saved US taxpayers what would have amounted to billions in current US dollars. But rather than do the right thing this amendment was defeated, Yea: 44, Nay:53. I don't know the breakdown of the vote, But I would be more than willing to bet that it was along party lines. The last vote I heard was that of Senator Bill Frist, who (<b>SURPRISE!</b>) voted against it. A call to Senator Mike DeWine's office, Republican Senator from Ohio and my Senator, voted "NO" also.

What is the Reublican Senate leadership afraid of? Are they worried about their connections to the various contractors being revealed? If they've violated no laws or Senate ehtics rules, What do they have to worry about? What don't they want revealed? <b>WE, THE PEOPLE...</b> have a right to know how our taxpayer dollars were misused, wasted and/or stolen. There has still been no accounting of the $8.8 billion that went missing during Proconsul Bremer's tenure in Iraq.

Government accountability for tax dollars? You silly liberal.:rolleyes:

Bullypulpit said:

Don't say it often, but i agree with bully. Please provide a link to the ammendment if you could bully but i believe what you are saying is true. I'd like to look into it further. Government not being accountable for the money it spends is one of my pet peeves.

Bullypulpit said:

And who turns out to be the biggest profiteer of the Iraqi war????

Michael MOORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

surprise, isnt he a liberal democrat?????

insein said:
Don't say it often, but i agree with bully. Please provide a link to the ammendment if you could bully but i believe what you are saying is true. I'd like to look into it further. Government not being accountable for the money it spends is one of my pet peeves.

Here's a link to the Senate site with a breakdown of the vote, along party lines, and a very brief summary of the amendment, but you can link directly to the text from there. The only Republican voting for the amendment was Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island.

<center><a href=http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00316>US Senate: Legislation and Records</a></center>

LuvRPgrl said:
And who turns out to be the biggest profiteer of the Iraqi war????

Michael MOORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

surprise, isnt he a liberal democrat?????

I hope you're really not that dense. And since I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, I won't go in to the unbid contracts awarded to Haliburton and its subsidiaries, and I won't discuss the missing funds from J Paul Bremer's watch in Iraq.

If you're comfortable with billions of your, and my, taxpayer dollars going unaccounted for in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere, then you just put your head down and keep right on grazing like a good little sheep. I'm not, especially when every dime that wasn't spent on reconstruction has helped fuel the insurgency in Iraq, which gets more of our soldiers maimed and killed every day.

I often wonder why the heck the GAO doesn't do their job when allegations like this come up. Isn't that what they get paid to do?

Bullypulpit said:
Here's a link to the Senate site with a breakdown of the vote, along party lines, and a very brief summary of the amendment, but you can link directly to the text from there. The only Republican voting for the amendment was Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island.

<center><a href=http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00316>US Senate: Legislation and Records</a></center>

I'd say this is a step in the wrong direction if it wasnt for the fact that there already is a committee to take care of this. The Senate Armed Services Committee is specifically designated with oversight into all military finances and transactions for the dealings into defense and war involving our country. Now what we need to do is rather than create more beuracracy is get this committee to do their job.

insein said:
I'd say this is a step in the wrong direction if it wasnt for the fact that there already is a committee to take care of this. The Senate Armed Services Committee is specifically designated with oversight into all military finances and transactions for the dealings into defense and war involving our country. Now what we need to do is rather than create more beuracracy is get this committee to do their job.

Yeah, that might be a good thing.

Forum List

Back