What about people who have abortions?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Nuc, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Abortion seems to be the favorite topic on this board. Most of the talk focuses on whether or not it should be legal. Suppose the appointment of Roberts and the other new vacancy on the Supreme Court leads to a turnaround and Roe v. Wade is overturned and some states make abortion illegal. What should be done with the women who have abortions anyway? Death penalty, life in prison, what? And how about the fathers? Are they guilty too? What happens to them?

2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I don't want to derail your thread, but I must ask, since Roberts is replacing a conservative Justice, how do you think he could cause such a change in the voting balance?

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    well what used to happen to them? ....nothing....well the women would die sometimes...

4. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm just posing a hypothetical scenario. Obviously there are a lot of people hoping that somehow the two new members will tip the balance against abortion. When I have suggested in other threads that the Republicans have no real interest in getting rid of abortion, they're just cynically using it as a wedge issue, several people have said, "Well just wait and see once we have Roberts!" This thread is not about the likelihood of a change, just if there is a change, what should we do about people who have abortions and who should be held accountable. What's the punishment? Do we make it retroactive? After all Nazis have been held accountable for things that were not crimes in their particular culture. Where does society go with this once abortion is legally declared "murder"?

5. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    he is assuming that the next one will conservative...then they will all vote to overturn roe v wade then states will vote to make it illegal...lots of ground to plow before this all happens

6. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Abortion is the killing of an unborn baby. Hence:
    Abortion is murder. Hence:
    Murder should be universally punished by death.

Conclusion: Take a pill, provide condoms, be accountable for your actions.

BTW, Dad gets whacked as an accessory.

7. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks for directly answering my questions. That's what I was looking for.

8. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    if roberts and co overturn roe v wade.....the abortion will not be constitoinally guartanteed be the federal govt.

so the states make the call.....most states already have laws on the books....no it will not be retroactive as US laws don't work like that...see those convicted of murder when there was no death penalty.....

anyway, all women will do is.... go to the state where it is legal....get a back room abortion or have the child....what do you care anyway about what other people do it doesn't affect you.

9. manu1959

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    murder is defined as killing a living human being.....an unborn baby at the first trimester is not by defininition a living human it is technically a parasite....so you will need to pass new lawas and new deffinitions to get the outcome you desire....

also you will need to exectue the dr. nurse hospital staff etc...as they are all accessories.

by the way i belive abortion is morally wrong

10. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I don't care what people do, but since this is a discussion board I thought I would try a new spin on the abortion issue.

Does abortion become "not permitted" but no punishment meted out. Or does it become "murder" with the same penalty as other murders? Is the man an accomplice, or is the woman the sole determining factor. These are topics of discussion in this thread on this discussion board.