Benedict XVI on relativism and ego

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
Benedict XVI--

Benedict XVI in his address to the cardinals during the pre-conclave Mass which would elect him as Pope, a key public address to the top leaders of the Church, talked about the world "moving towards a dictatorship of relativism." (Italics added)
On June 6, 2005, he told educators:
"Today, a particularly insidious obstacle to the task of education is the massive presence in our society and culture of that relativism which, recognizing nothing as definitive, leaves as the ultimate criterion only the self with its desires. And under the semblance of freedom it becomes a prison for each one, for it separates people from one another, locking each person into his or her own 'ego'"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativism

I heard a preacher on the radio talk about this subject once. Here's how he deals with relativists, or at least what he said at the sermon.

The guy says, "Everything is relative. There are no absolutes."

Absolute number one. Preacher punches him in the mouth.

Guy: Hey! Why did you do that?

Preacher: It was right for me at the time.

Guy: You can't just go around hitting people.

Preacher: Absolute number two. Why not?

Guy: Because in order for society to survive, there must be certain rules in place.

Preacher: That's absolute numbers three (that society must survive) and four (that this requires rules). Now, are you going to give up moral relativism or do I have to hit you again?

Forum List

Back