What a vile waste of U.S. taxpayer money...

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010

(Washington, DC — December 1, 2010)- Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it has obtained documents from the Obama Department of Health and Human Services regarding a series of three Medicare television advertisements featuring actor Andy Griffith, which were deemed misleading by a number of press outlets, including the nonpartisan FactCheck.org. The Obama Administration spent $3,184,000 in taxpayer funds to produce and air the advertisements on national television in September and October of 2010 to educate “Medicare beneficiaries, caregivers, and family members about forthcoming changes to Medicare as a result of the Affordable Care Act.” According to the documents released to Judicial Watch:
“Mr. Griffith is featured in three Medicare television ads and provided his services to the government at no charge pursuant to a gratuitous services agreement. These three spots, ‘1965,’ ‘Music to My Ears,’ and ‘Cozy Chair,’ are only airing in September and October 2010. The production for the three advertisements cost $404,000; the total amount budgeted for the national media placement is $2.78 million, which breaks down per ad to $754,000 (‘1965’), $1,112,000 (‘Music to My Ears’), and $1,390,000 (‘Cozy Chair’).”
In press statements touting the new Griffith advertising program the Obama White House described its purpose: “The Affordable Care Act [Obamacare] will strengthen the health care system for all Americans, but senior citizens in particular stand to benefit from the new law. And the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is getting a little help delivering the good news from a well-known TV star: Andy Griffith.” However, according to FactCheck.org, a project of the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg Public Policy Center, the advertisements intentionally misinform the American people:
“Would the sheriff of Mayberry mislead you about Medicare? Alas, yes. In a new TV spot from the Obama administration, actor Andy Griffith, famous for his 1960s portrayal of the top law enforcement official in the fictional town of Mayberry, N.C., touts benefits of the new health care law. Griffith tells his fellow senior citizens, ‘like always, we’ll have our guaranteed [Medicare] benefits.’ But the truth is that the new [Obamacare] law is guaranteed to result in benefit cuts for one class of Medicare beneficiaries — those in private Medicare Advantage plans.”
Keep reading…

So it is OK if corporations control the airways with pure nonsense, but government is held to some absurd standard? One has to laugh at the source of this OP, and their 'about statement' (below). They call them conservative and then say they are non-partisan. Only a fool could write that oxymoron. Weird how conservatives are for a dog eat dog world, and then mention Medicare change - don't they hate that too. Hypocrite thy name is corporate conservative tool.

"Judicial Watch, Inc., a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation, promotes transparency, accountability and integrity in government, politics and the law. Through its educational endeavors, Judicial Watch advocates high standards of ethics and morality in our nation's public life and seeks to ensure that political and judicial officials do not abuse the powers entrusted to them by the American people. Judicial Watch fulfills its educational mission through litigation, investigations, and public outreach."

"The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey

So it is OK if corporations control the airways with pure nonsense, but government is held to some absurd standard? One has to laugh at the source of this OP, and their 'about statement' (below). They call them conservative and then say they are non-partisan. Only a fool could write that oxymoron. Weird how conservatives are for a dog eat dog world, and then mention Medicare change - don't they hate that too. Hypocrite thy name is corporate conservative tool.

"Judicial Watch, Inc., a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation, promotes transparency, accountability and integrity in government, politics and the law. Through its educational endeavors, Judicial Watch advocates high standards of ethics and morality in our nation's public life and seeks to ensure that political and judicial officials do not abuse the powers entrusted to them by the American people. Judicial Watch fulfills its educational mission through litigation, investigations, and public outreach."

"The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey

Only an idiot would let gov. use the airwaves for propaganda like this.
I can't find the section in the Constitution about gov. having the authority to advertise about how wonderful it is forcing people into a contractual commitments with health insurers.

If we had listened to the Republicans, we could have had their health care plan. "Die Quickly". Then we wouldn't need to worry about health care and medicare and social security and all that other nonsense.

We need to concentrate on tax breaks for people making over a million dollars a year.

Listen to Republicans. Those people have their priorities straight. They KNOW what is good for the country.

If we had listened to the Republicans, we could have had their health care plan. "Die Quickly". Then we wouldn't need to worry about health care and medicare and social security and all that other nonsense.

We need to concentrate on tax breaks for people making over a million dollars a year.

Listen to Republicans. Those people have their priorities straight. They KNOW what is good for the country.
Nice bumper sticker, but not very convincing.
Maybe you should go on the View with that little gem, Joy's a dunce and might like it.

Corporations aren't spending MY MONEY to promote a political agenda. The government IS spending MY MONEY to promote a political agenda.

Last edited:

Maybe you should go on the View with that little gem, Joy's a dunce and might like it.

Joyless Bahar? Geeze.. she's a hoot. Dumb as a bag of hammers as well apparently.

Well, when Obama went on "The View", he brought some much needed estrogen to the set.

Joyless Bahar? Geeze.. she's a hoot. Dumb as a bag of hammers as well apparently.
LOL..........
You have a higher opinion of her than I do.........

Corporations aren't spending MY MONEY to promote a political agenda. The government IS spending MY MONEY to promote a political agenda.

Also, I when I look at my payroll statement I don't see a list of corporations that are taking my money. What I do see is a government that confiscates monies and spends irresponsibly.

Why do people elevate the government to such a godlike entity? Are they afraid of believing in themselves?

Last edited:

I gotcha, middy...there's plenty of dead-presidents...spend more!

Or, maybe not so much:

a. National debt $13 trillion
b. State and Local debt $2.5 trillion
c. State and Local pensions (underfunded) $3 trillion
d. Social Security $7.7 trillion*
e. Medicare $ 38 trillion*
f. Total US debt $64.2 trillion
g. Total GDP of entire world $61.0 trillion
*covers commitments for 75 years

b., c. The Other National Debt - Kevin Williamson - National Review Online

d., e. The 81% Tax Increase - Forbes.com

f. 65 Trillion - U.S. Financial Obligations Exceed The Entire World's GDP

g. Silver: Declining supply, increasing demand - Precious Metals - Resource Investor

Also, I when I look at my payroll statement I don't see a list of corporations that are taking my money. What I do see is a government that confiscates monies and spends irresponsibly.

Why do people elevate the government to such a godlike entity? Are they afraid of believing in themselves?

You know what it is...the gov does the three card monte...

and folks just scratch their heads and walk away.

BTW, Publicly traded companies are bound by accounting rules known as “Generally Accepted Accounting Principles,” GAAP, which account for revenue, expenses, assets, and liabilities.

a. But the government uses the rules of the Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board, FASAB. The rules are set by Congress and the White House. Get that: they make their own rules!

b. “The government's record-keeping was in such disarray 15 years ago that both parties agreed drastic steps were needed. Congress and two presidents took a series of actions from 1990 to 1996 that: Created the Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board to establish accounting rules, a role similar to what the powerful Financial Accounting Standards Board does for corporations.” USATODAY.com - What's the real federal deficit?

“Would the sheriff of Mayberry mislead you about Medicare? Alas, yes. In a new TV spot from the Obama administration, actor Andy Griffith, famous for his 1960s portrayal of the top law enforcement official in the fictional town of Mayberry, N.C., touts benefits of the new health care law. Griffith tells his fellow senior citizens, ‘like always, we’ll have our guaranteed [Medicare] benefits.’ But the truth is that the new [Obamacare] law is guaranteed to result in benefit cuts for one class of Medicare beneficiaries — those in private Medicare Advantage plans.”​
Very amusing.

The FACT is.....the only cuts would be the federal-$ub$idie$ to private in$urer$!!!!

"Instead of the government negotiating prices with drug companies, price controls are left up to the market, which critics argue makes the prices and the program overall too expensive. There is also no standardization of coverage and benefits. Private insurers have created hundreds of different plans with different formularies, co-pays, premiums and deductibles, which critics argue confuse members in trying to choose a plan."

"Here are some things that happened on the night the GOP pushed the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit through the House of Representatives:

A 15-minute vote was scheduled, and at the end of 15 minutes, the Democrats had won. The Republican leadership froze the clock for three hours while they desperately whipped defectors. This had never been done before. The closest was a 15-minute extension in 1987 that then-congressman Dick Cheney called “the most arrogant, heavy-handed abuse of power I’ve ever seen in the 10 years that I’ve been here.”

Tom DeLay bribed Rep. Nick Smith to vote for the legislation, using the political future of Smith's son for leverage. DeLay was later reprimanded by the House Ethics Committee.

The leadership told Rep. Jim DeMint that they would cut off funding for his Senate race in South Carolina if he didn't vote for the bill.

The chief actuary of Medicare, Rick Foster, had scored the legislation as costing more than $500 billion. The Bush administration suppressed his report, in a move the Government Accounting Office later judged "illegal.”

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, a "no" vote, spent the night "hiding on the Democratic side of the floor, crouching down to avoid eye contact with the Republican search team."

Rep. Butch Otter, who provided one of the final votes after hours of arm-twisting from the Republican leadership, said, “I thought there was a chance I would get sick on the floor.”

Try using your full-name, next time.....VULTURE Capitalist.

:rolleyes:

Only an idiot would let gov. use the airwaves for propaganda like this.
I can't find the section in the Constitution about gov. having the authority to advertise about how wonderful it is forcing people into a contractual commitments with health insurers.

So when does Judicial Watch plan to inform us how much the gubmit spends on ads for the National Guard?

Forum List

Back