What A Day!

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
It was 35 degrees yesterday & raining. As the temp dropped it turned to freezing rain...then sleet...then snow.

Went to bed with a blizzard out my window. Woke up at 4:30 am when the power went out. I got up and saw we had gotten about 8 inches and it was still coming down.

It finally stopped and I went out at first light to brush off my truck. The snow was like concrete and the doors were frozen shut. After some pounding I got them open & got most of the snow off the truck...then raked the roof...then took a break...and then started the snow blower.

This stuff was the heaviest, wettest snow I've ever dealt with...but whatever I didn't get today would turn into a block of ice by tomorrow.

Went out 5 times with the snow blower...it was brutal.

Power finally came back on at 5:30 pm...13 hours with no power in the winter...I was getting a little nervous. I had images dancing in my head of the frozen pipes disaster during the texas ice storm.

It's way early Spring here in OK. Bradford Pears bloomed weeks ago, my cattle are off the hay & on fresh grass & a scorpion sprinted across my floor like a freshman on a panty raid

I was ready for spring when autumn started, alas, it's been a long cold winter.. but really not much snow in the high deserts of the NW..

We had some good thunderstorms this morning here in Atlanta. But it stopped before 9am. Most of the day was sunny and in the low 70s.

And NO...I DON'T have a friggan LINK! :aargh:
We have similar weather. Rain low, but snow/grapel at our elevation. Steep driveway luckily has thawed a bit in the last week, but studs have to be off today. Spent the morning changing tires, but it appears we won't get enough snow to need the studs.

The one saving grace was it was 38 & sunny today. I knew if I got it cleaned up the sun would do the rest.

But man am I sore! The slush clung to the snow blower...felt like the damn thing weighed 500 lbs.

warm but extreme winds here...60 mph gusts..taking trees and electric lines down...we are good right now but are ready for the power to go out..

I was doing a little shoveling & so was the lady across the street (barb). We both commented on how ridiculous this snowfall was.

Right then the snowplow came by & left a mountain of slush boulders in my driveway almost 5 feet high. I looked at barb & she at me & we both busted out laughing :auiqs.jpg:

You had a texas ice storm in Minnesota, now I get it. :confused-84:

With no power for 13 hours in the winter...if the power outage went on another night my pipes may have frozen and my house destroyed. That's what I was afraid of.

With no power for 13 hours in the winter...if the power outage went on another night my pipes may have frozen and my house destroyed. That's what I was afraid of.
No alternative heat source? Trickle your pipes.--I'd invest in a wood or pellet stove if I were you. If you are out in the sticks, a propane fueled whole house generator is a good purchase as well.

Look right under my avi...I'm in Minnesota.
Same here 45 miles north of Mpls.
No power issues, but lost a couple small trees.
Got about 8 inches also, but it melted down pretty fast today.
Still have three feet of snow out back.

Forum List

Back