Westminster Dog Show

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Dogs & Health: Dog Business Heals Us All
By Drs. Michael A. Glueck & Robert J. Cihak
March 18, 2005

Of all the lord's creatures treated with human status — dogs may be our favorite and our best in space or anyplace. Here's the straight poop on the dog business. We love our pooches in this country and for good reasons. They boost our physical mental and emotional health.

The health virtues of our dogs as pets, best friends, companions, saviors, hospital workers, eyes and ears for the disabled, cancer seekers, sniffers of suspects, drugs, explosives, and hunters, searchers and rescuers have been well extolled over the past few years.

This past February 14th and 15th the best, most beautiful and balanced Rovers from 160 breeds gathered at center ring in Madison Square Garden for the Doggie Oscars — the 129th gathering of the Westminster Dog Show, the second oldest continuous sport event in the nation. Unlike the Oscars, the dogs are real and approachable. Plastic surgery, bad jokes, and mentally numbing conversation are not allowed.

Westminster is the final common pathway for the 34 billion dollar industry. The business includes pet stores, breeders, puppy mills, owners, breeders, trainers, handlers, groomers, sitters, walkers, boarders, hotels, agents, vets, hospitals, clinics, show fees, food manufacturers, doggie bakers, clothes, jewelry, charms for every breed, toys, high tech leashes, stationery, and even personalized dog cards. Make no mistake about it; the dog business is a big industry.

Making the final diagnosis that I'm not getting any younger, the little woman and I went off to the big onion to see the Rovers in action. Everyone in New York City was aware of the big show and had a favorite. In NYC as in my home, "The OC" near "The Laguna Beach," it seems every other person has a dog or two!

What did we see and hear that you can't witness from the floor at home sitting with your furry West Highland Terrier while watching Animal Planet:
the beauty, coats, structure and poise of the dogs is overwhelming. The first canine we encountered backstage was a long haired collie. The colors were striking and the face sculptured like a work of art. The jaw (mine) actually dropped!

Dog persons are amongst the friendliest on earth. Backstage we did not encounter one owner or handler that wasn't willing to talk, allow you to pet their dog or take a picture. The owner of the winning Pomeranian actually gave me her dog while laughing, saying,"Here you hold her." Unlike cat shows the owners are not worried about viral transmission of disease.

for full story
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0305/medicine.men1.asp

Great article,Adam!!! There is nothing like a dog,that's for sure!!! I come home everyday to 2 big dogs jumping ,wagging,licking,and "dancing"!! I could walk out to get the mail,for 10 seconds,and when I come back in,you would think I'd been gone for a whole day.

I would love to go to this dog show,but I think if we got the money together for a vacation,we would have to go somewhere a little more interesting for the rest of the family. Don't get me wrong,we all love dogs,but I think my daughter and I are the only ones that couls sit through a dog show and be totally fascinated!!!

We watch the Westminster Dog Show every year on TV, and it is just fascinating to watch those beautiful, well-behaved (not so much as even a bark!) creatures go through their paces. It was interesting to learn from the article that, behind the scenes, the owners are not snobs, but laid-back, really nice folks.

Although we don't have dogs ourselves, I can relate to your dogs reaction to you. My daughter has two big labs, and everytime we visit they about knock us over with affection. They are very loving dogs and great to be around.

im kind've sick of dog shows. I've been to a couple when i was a kid and i've watched a few on TV. It's bad enough that society has to be so critical and obsess so much over our own looks...why do people need to to the same thing to dogs.

...im sure the dogs are having fun in these dog shows...im not saying it's some kind of animal cruelty. They get lots of attention and It's not like they know that their physical looks are being judged and compeited against. I just think the owners are wasting their time obsessing over every little frill of their dog.
...sorry, but I think there are more productive and meaninful things for people to be doing with their pets ...and without wasting so much money.

I also dont like when i see those pictures of "show dogs" all posed in that position in which they stand all stiff-legged and with the collar all high up on their neck and the leesh pulled tight...
i think dogs look much better in their natural state.

sparxinthedark said:
im kind've sick of dog shows. I've been to a couple when i was a kid and i've watched a few on TV. It's bad enough that society has to be so critical and obsess so much over our own looks...why do people need to to the same thing to dogs.

...im sure the dogs are having fun in these dog shows...im not saying it's some kind of animal cruelty. They get lots of attention and It's not like they know that their physical looks are being judged and compeited against. I just think the owners are wasting their time obsessing over every little frill of their dog.
...sorry, but I think there are more productive and meaninful things for people to be doing with their pets ...and without wasting so much money.

I also dont like when i see those pictures of "show dogs" all posed in that position in which they stand all stiff-legged and with the collar all high up on their neck and the leesh pulled tight...
i think dogs look much better in their natural state.

I'll pass along your feelings to the authorities----hopefully they will change everything and you will be famous for saving the dogs !

Forum List

Back