Went ahead and upgraded

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Decided to swallow my obstinance and allow Win 10 to install on this laptop to give it a fair shake.
Obviously the first thing I did was back everything up which turned out wasn't needed, it even kept my screen
background, okay a positive point.
I have a month to revert back to 7 if I so choose, major positive.
Turned off all the spy settings, that was easy, positive point.
Switched my default browser to Firefox, again easy.
Cannot select how to get and install updates, a huge negative.
And finally boot up times are 3 to 4 times longer than they were with Win 7.......... A huge, gigantic, colossal negative.
Oh and I don't like the screen (that has to be swiped up) to get to the login screen, annoyance negative.

Decided to swallow my obstinance and allow Win 10 to install on this laptop to give it a fair shake.
Obviously the first thing I did was back everything up which turned out wasn't needed, it even kept my screen
And finally boot up times are 3 to 4 times longer than they were with Win 7.......... A huge, gigantic, colossal negative.
Oh and I don't like the screen (that has to be swiped up) to get to the login screen, annoyance negative.

You're a brave soldier.

Cue bugler -- play Taps. :salute:

You're a brave soldier.

Cue bugler -- play Taps. :salute:
It's okay, if I decide I don't want it I can revert back, if for some reason the revert fails I have the Win 7 installation disc.

Do your older programs still work?
So far. I clicked on one of my standard games I play and it had to install a play file to make it work but it did so automatically. I'm still checking things out.
So far I don't really find it any faster than Win 7.
Oh and I did turn off Cortana, damned annoying........

Oh if you're using Windows Media Center it will no longer play DVDs unless you purchase an upgrade. I installed Kodi, a highly recommended free replacement.

Went into Processes, disabled some that weren't really needed, disabled some startup applications and re-booted again..... The bootup was only slightly faster but still much slower than Win 7 and loading apps, etc is still about the same speed as Win 7. As it looks now I'll be reverting back to Win 7.........

Oh if you're using Windows Media Center it will no longer play DVDs unless you purchase an upgrade. I installed Kodi, a highly recommended free replacement.
Kodi is damn good! I use it on a Android box for streaming to the TV. 15.1 sped things up and I can usually watch a HD movie right away, unless it's got a million hits going.

You know it came from the Xbox hack, XBMC? Microsoft should have bought that and ran with it. But I'm glad they didn't.

I received the Win 10 update on my other computer. It looked like it's just has some bells and whistles I don't even need; so I passed. But looking forward to hearing about any of the advanced features.

I received the Win 10 update on my other computer. It looked like it's just has some bells and whistles I don't even need; so I passed. But looking forward to hearing about any of the advanced features.
If two things are changed I might re-upgrade. One is being able to easily load the old Microsoft games and the second is M$ restoring full user controls with updates.
Basically I figured out what has to be done to speed Win 10 up, it has to be reset to the base install wiping out all your files, pictures, applications you've installed. Essentially it's almost the same as doing a clean install.

Well that was fast!!
Yeah it was, I did go ahead and upgrade the Lenovo Yoga 2, I rarely use it (mostly when traveling) and really did hate 8.1 especially the Charms feature which I was constantly accidentally opening up. Besides even with the upgrade the 10 second boot up only went to 15 seconds.

Well that was fast!!
Yeah it was, I did go ahead and upgrade the Lenovo Yoga 2, I rarely use it (mostly when traveling) and really did hate 8.1 especially the Charms feature which I was constantly accidentally opening up. Besides even with the upgrade the 10 second boot up only went to 15 seconds.

Wait a year later. As you know, Windows PC's get ever so slightly upon slower each boot up...that 15 second boot up would have easily been 45 seconds within a year.

Well that was fast!!

Wait a year later. As you know, Windows PC's get ever so slightly upon slower each boot up...that 15 second boot up would have easily been 45 seconds within a year.
Who knows within a year it just might have Ubuntu on it........ :dunno:

Glad I read this. I was put on the free upgrade list but didn't do it when they said ok...it was time and I can now do it. But I didn't. Glad I didn't.

Glad I read this. I was put on the free upgrade list but didn't do it when they said ok...it was time and I can now do it. But I didn't. Glad I didn't.
A lot of people like it, a lot don't, there are ways to install the old Microsoft games but it requires going into registry and changing code but there is no way to take back control of updates unless Microsoft is convinced to put the controls back in.

I hate learning new gadgetry. HATE it. Which is why I am so paranoid in installing it cuz then I have to relearn how to find everything again. Don't wanna.

Well that was fast!!

Who knows within a year it just might have Ubuntu on it........ :dunno:
I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. I have no issues with windows 10. Of course, that's because I dual boot that machine and I'm normally running Ubuntu, which runs crisp and clean. I rarely boot into windows. It lays dormant like some ancient beast...

Forum List

Back