Went ahead and upgraded

Well that was fast!!
Yeah it was, I did go ahead and upgrade the Lenovo Yoga 2, I rarely use it (mostly when traveling) and really did hate 8.1 especially the Charms feature which I was constantly accidentally opening up. Besides even with the upgrade the 10 second boot up only went to 15 seconds.

Wait a year later. As you know, Windows PC's get ever so slightly upon slower each boot up...that 15 second boot up would have easily been 45 seconds within a year.
Who knows within a year it just might have Ubuntu on it........ :dunno:
I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. I have no issues with windows 10. Of course, that's because I dual boot that machine and I'm normally running Ubuntu, which runs crisp and clean. I rarely boot into windows. It lays dormant like some ancient beast...

similar here...I only use Windows for one program (Beersmith) and I hate it every time. And not just saying that, I cannot stand waiting forever till it fully boots

Well that was fast!!
Yeah it was, I did go ahead and upgrade the Lenovo Yoga 2, I rarely use it (mostly when traveling) and really did hate 8.1 especially the Charms feature which I was constantly accidentally opening up. Besides even with the upgrade the 10 second boot up only went to 15 seconds.

Wait a year later. As you know, Windows PC's get ever so slightly upon slower each boot up...that 15 second boot up would have easily been 45 seconds within a year.
Who knows within a year it just might have Ubuntu on it........ :dunno:
I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 8.1. I have no issues with windows 10. Of course, that's because I dual boot that machine and I'm normally running Ubuntu, which runs crisp and clean. I rarely boot into windows. It lays dormant like some ancient beast...
There's only one reason I still use Windows...... gaming...... Now I don't do multi-player so all my games are on my PCs otherwise I use Linux. Started years ago with Ubuntu and switched to Mint when Unity came out. I might consider Xbox but I'm not so sure I like them and I would have to buy a new monitor/TV to play so that's more money out of pocket not to mention Kinect........

Uuummmmm..... Might go with Xbox 360, no need to connect with the internet and has all the games I like anyway. That way I can drop M$ all together...... Ummmmm........

Uuummmmm..... Might go with Xbox 360, no need to connect with the internet and has all the games I like anyway. That way I can drop M$ all together...... Ummmmm........
What games do you like to play? I just watched one on Youtube called Until Dawn. Gnarly game. I'm so glad I didn't have to play it, lol. I just like watching someone else do it. :lol:

What games do you like to play? I just watched one on Youtube called Until Dawn. Gnarly game. I'm so glad I didn't have to play it, lol. I just like watching someone else do it. :lol:
I play FPSs mostly (Call of Duty, etc) and some RTS (Company of Heroes, etc). I don't do multiplayer at all.

I don't watch multiplayer. I really liked Until Dawn. It has many endings, so whatever move you decide to make decides the outcome.

Okay, YES you can download and install the old standby Windows game on your computer!!!!!

MEGA

Scanned the down;load then scanned the unzipped files, all was clean. :thup:
Note: Click on Download through your browser. Scan the download, double click the application file (bottom of three) and unzip it. in the new window double click the bottom file and start the installation.
To find them type Games in the search (taskbar), select Games Explorer. You can right click on Games Explored and send to desktop.
Okay, that's one obstacle out of the way.

It's weird that gaming isn't backwards compatible. Or maybe a sales decision. I don't do games except on a tablet and leave my Windows machine off unless I need it for Signlab. I couldn't even upgrade to Win 7 because it would have meant upgrading the sign software for thousands, only to do the same thing. Mint 17.1 w/Cinnamon has everything else I need.

Okay, screw it. The laptop started experiencing random problems, am reverting back to Win 7 for a second time and not going back to Win 10.

steve-ballmer.jpg

Okay, screw it. The laptop started experiencing random problems, am reverting back to Win 7 for a second time and not going back to Win 10.
Whenever I try a new OS upgrade, I like to clone my HD to a new HD and then install the upgrade on the clone, this way I always have my original system unmolested and when the bug fixes and necessary software updates needed to function on the new OS are released I don't have to reinstall the new OS to see if all the problems have been worked out. I install the clone in the Optical drive bay of my laptop while I'm experimenting and don't replace my old HD until everything is working perfectly no matter how long it takes. I do that with both Windows and the Mac.

Right now I've been trying out Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but I can't print using my old printers. Lots of people are having the same problem, part of it is the OS and part of it is the printer drivers need to be updated and the manufacturers are very slow to do it for the small Mac market. When someone posts a work around I try it while I'm waiting for the new drivers, and if it doesn't work, and so far none have, I simply pull out the drive with OS X 10.10 and put my ODD back in and keep using Mavericks until the problem is solved.

Whenever I try a new OS upgrade, I like to clone my HD to a new HD and then install the upgrade on the clone, this way I always have my original system unmolested and when the bug fixes and necessary software updates needed to function on the new OS are released I don't have to reinstall the new OS to see if all the problems have been worked out. I install the clone in the Optical drive bay of my laptop while I'm experimenting and don't replace my old HD until everything is working perfectly no matter how long it takes. I do that with both Windows and the Mac.

Right now I've been trying out Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, but I can't print using my old printers. Lots of people are having the same problem, part of it is the OS and part of it is the printer drivers need to be updated and the manufacturers are very slow to do it for the small Mac market. When someone posts a work around I try it while I'm waiting for the new drivers, and if it doesn't work, and so far none have, I simply pull out the drive with OS X 10.10 and put my ODD back in and keep using Mavericks until the problem is solved.
i have enough going on to play with it anymore. The update is still on this computer and tries to redownload and reinstall when I try to du updates...... The new Ubuntu DVD is looking more appealing by the minute.

I decided against upgrading to Windows 10, which could potentially harm my three-year-old laptop. I am fine with Windows 7 that has been working greatly so far and I am not willing to learn how to use the new system that looks strange. It's also said that Windows 10 cannot play DVDs and there will be additional charges to use certain features.

Last edited:
I just upgraded to see what is happening...

win10.jpg

The LTSB Edition comes with IE instead of Edge and will not be bothered by feature updates.
Instead, in some years, a new LTSB version will be released.
N means some EU shit: This editions will come without Media Player. But MS offers an update with the Media Player.

Last edited:
Was on chat with M$ for an hour while they tried to figure out how to remove it completely from my system...... It's gone now. :thup:

Actually found out it wasn't completely gone, the tech was able to hide the update. With my frustration with the upgrade over with and some more research I figured out how to make it work (should have known from the beginning).
Update all drivers, back up all personal files, do the upgrade then do a full reset so there's basically a clean OS to work from.

Actually found out it wasn't completely gone, the tech was able to hide the update. With my frustration with the upgrade over with and some more research I figured out how to make it work (should have known from the beginning).
Update all drivers, back up all personal files, do the upgrade then do a full reset so there's basically a clean OS to work from.
Why don´t you get a an image from MS and do a clean setup with it?

Found out that even with that you still need to do the upgrade first, too many people are having problems doing a clean install without upgrading first, sometimes their security key isn't recognized so they have to reload what was there before then upgrade, then do a clean install. The way I did it is reported as the least problematic method.

Found out that even with that you still need to do the upgrade first, too many people are having problems doing a clean install without upgrading first, sometimes their security key isn't recognized so they have to reload what was there before then upgrade, then do a clean install. The way I did it is reported as the least problematic method.
ok

Welp, figure it worked so well with this laptop I'd go ahead and do it with my desktop........ Nope, couldn't get it to reboot after doing a reset....... Boot errors so now the Win 7 disc is in it and reinstalling........ Oh well, it needed a clean install anyway, been a few years since the last time.

Forum List

Back