Welsh second homes

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
What do people think of this?

Councils will be able to control numbers of second homes and holiday lets under new Welsh government plans.

A new licensing scheme for people who want to operate short-term holiday lets, such as Airbnb, is also planned.

First Minister Mark Drakeford and Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price made the announcement as made as part of their co-operation agreement.

Local authorities have already been given the power to increase council tax on second homes by 300% from next year.

I remember some months ago, there was a discussion on the radio where Cornwall residents were complaining that locals couldn't afford houses due to wealthy people buying them as holiday homes. Also, landlords were putting theirs on AirBnB to get more money, so any for rent were sky high. So because no one could afford to rent there and work, the likes of pubs were closed half the time. So the locals wanted some kind of tax or solution.

Did Wales pick up on this idea or vice versa? In a way, I agree with this because people find it difficult to get onto the property market due to lack of housing.

Tommy Tainant

Councils will be able to control numbers of second homes and holiday lets under new Welsh government plans.

A new licensing scheme for people who want to operate short-term holiday lets, such as Airbnb, is also planned.

First Minister Mark Drakeford and Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price made the announcement as made as part of their co-operation agreement.

Local authorities have already been given the power to increase council tax on second homes by 300% from next year.

I remember some months ago, there was a discussion on the radio where Cornwall residents were complaining that locals couldn't afford houses due to wealthy people buying them as holiday homes. Also, landlords were putting theirs on AirBnB to get more money, so any for rent were sky high. So because no one could afford to rent there and work, the likes of pubs were closed half the time. So the locals wanted some kind of tax or solution.

Did Wales pick up on this idea or vice versa? In a way, I agree with this because people find it difficult to get onto the property market due to lack of housing.

Tommy Tainant

I think the UK should do what I wish we would do here, ban any non national from owning property in the country.

Its been coming for some time. Basically lawyers from Cheshire could pick up houses for very litttle and started to price out the locals.
Its accelerated over the past few years where we seee new estates only advertised in Manchester and not marketed to locals.
A welsh language school closed in Abersoch last year because of lack of pupils.
Shops are closing as these people fill up in waitrose before they make the trip.
Nobody minds people coming to live in Wales but these types just come for the weekend and leave a ghost town during the week.
I think we need to burn down a few to kill the market.

nb Check out Whitby and Brighton who have passed local laws on this..Cornwall is another.

Its been coming for some time. Basically lawyers from Cheshire could pick up houses for very litttle and started to price out the locals.
Its accelerated over the past few years where we seee new estates only advertised in Manchester and not marketed to locals.
A welsh language school closed in Abersoch last year because of lack of pupils.
Shops are closing as these people fill up in waitrose before they make the trip.
Nobody minds people coming to live in Wales but these types just come for the weekend and leave a ghost town during the week.
I think we need to burn down a few to kill the market.

nb Check out Whitby and Brighton who have passed local laws on this..Cornwall is another.
I've noticed this in the Lake District. We went to Windermere and notice more little cottages with Airbnb signs on them. It'll go national.

I check RightMove every other day for Dumfries & Galloway and Cumbria. There's very little on the market these days. People will have cashed pensions in to buy houses to rent, they won't be happy, lol.

I think the UK should do what I wish we would do here, ban any non national from owning property in the country.
The Channel Islands have from at least the 60's had one housing market which is limited and expensive and for people who are not locals. All others buy and sell on the local market at a much cheaper rate. That was the first one I knew of. This stopped people being unable to buy in their own neighbourhood. Now it is happening all over the UK and to me Wales is doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Tommy Tainant
Is there a shortage of land & lumber in Wales or have rules, regs & taxes caused the price of new construction to be unaffordable for most people?
The free market solution is to build more housing so something is going on.

Is there a shortage of land & lumber in Wales or have rules, regs & taxes caused the price of new construction to be unaffordable for most people?
There's a government PDF that covers the price of land per area with planning consent. It's per hectare. So Cumbria is just over £700,000 per hectare with planning, whereas in London, it's over £100m per hectare. I don't know about Wales. And with tight planning laws and rate it's coming up, you need a penny or two in the bank to go down that route.

I've noticed this in the Lake District. We went to Windermere and notice more little cottages with Airbnb signs on them. It'll go national.

I check RightMove every other day for Dumfries & Galloway and Cumbria. There's very little on the market these days. People will have cashed pensions in to buy houses to rent, they won't be happy, lol.
Im from Wrexham and we are being flooded by folk from Chester which is only 10 miles away and where houses are £100k more.
There will be folk in Benidorm who have been priced out of their homes.

Its all about inequality and growing inequality.

Its not a big country but there are enough houses. Before they were bought up.

A young man earning £30k in Abersoch will nt be able to afford a home in a village where beach huts go for £150k.
The new laws shouuld help with this.

It's just the people who can afford second homes buying one up and hardly ever living there. This results in the people who come from there and who would live and work there not being able to afford the prices. Then the place is pretty much empty apart from the second homes people.

Im from Wrexham and we are being flooded by folk from Chester which is only 10 miles away and where houses are £100k more.
There will be folk in Benidorm who have been priced out of their homes.

Its all about inequality and growing inequality.
Yes it is about growing inequality. The second place I heard of locals being priced out of the market was the Highlands.

Yes it is about growing inequality. The second place I heard of locals being priced out of the market was the Highlands.
I used to go out with a girl whose father had a log cabin up near Perth. Amazing place. But it was a few cabins the farmer had put up to make a bit extra. They werent depriving folk of somewhere to live.
In Wrexham there was always a lad in work who had a static somewhere up the coast. Again they werent depriving someone of a home. Had some great weeks up there.
Locals cant compete and its causing a lot of resentment.

As soon as you keep your punk ass out of American business.

Is there some advantage to having a second hovel in Wales? It's still the UK, so it still sucks.
Lol, I just teated you in the same manner from your post. Did you no likey, lol.

Which part of Wales did you visit?

Lol, I just teated you in the same manner from your post. Did you no likey, lol.

Which part of Wales did you visit?
I got as far as Manchester and your country disgusted me so much I hopped a flight to Prague. Western Europe is one giant hellhole. Whether Manchester, London, Paris, Brussels, or Amsterdam. Vienna was tolerable, the rest, no thanks.

I got as far as Manchester and your country disgusted me so much I hopped a flight to Prague. Western Europe is one giant hellhole. Whether Manchester, London, Paris, Brussels, or Amsterdam. Vienna was tolerable, the rest, no thanks.
So you haven't been to Wales and you claim it's a hovel !! :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back