Well, that seems counterintuitive

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by proletarian, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Raising kids may lower blood pressure

A new Brigham Young University study found that parenthood is associated with lower blood pressure, particularly so among women.
    Julianne Holt-Lunstad, a BYU psychologist who studies relationships and health, reports her findings Jan. 14 in the peer-reviewed journal Annals of Behavioral Medicine.

2. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    Counter intuitive? Not really. The experience was probably designed into our nature to not be stressful. Think about old folks who replace a "baby" in their old age with a dog or a cat. These two creatures are both problematic, but lower blood pressure results. Probably the love without passion factor; things change in us when we become parents. I always had a week stomach for crap and vomit, but when our son was born, I'd take charge of those clean-up operations, diaper changes for instance - and we used cloth diapers so it was more than just a quick-change operation - and I wasn't bothered by it at all. Later though, our dog's vomit or a crappy clean-up caused an involuntary gag response.

3. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Perhaps, in the context of protecting your child, small stressors become insignificant? When you have something greater than yourself, your tolerance for person inconveniences and difficulty increases dramatically.

I imagine that both grandparents and suicidal bombers have low level of stress, for the same fundamental reason: they both have something to live for...