Welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

But it's not freedom if you are FORCED to take a drug test for no reason of your own accord, in my book.

You're not being forced to take the drug test because no one is forcing you to go on the dole. One has to apply for benefits and the test is simply part of the application process.
I just don't see it that way.

and if you take it that way, then anyone applying for gvt assistance, those in agriculture receiving subsidies, in the oil business receiving gvt subsidies, or any business reciving gvt assistance needs to have all employees drug tested or at least all of upper management in these businesses that receive gvt money, or those taking a child tax credit, or unemployment or social security should have to take a drug test in order to receive that assistance....

fair and just, no?

I don't have a problem with it as it's voluntary. You voluntarily apply for government hand outs not one person has ever been forced to take government aid.

If you want tax payer money then take the drug test. Your choice 100%

Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

MIAMI — State figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in Florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-July.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released Tuesday the Department of Children and Families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Proponents of the law have suggested applicants would be deterred because they knew they would test positive. Critics say applicants may not have taken the test because they couldn’t afford the fee that can be as much as $35 or didn’t have easy access to a testing facility.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Its a total waste of time and energy. Synthetic piss can be bought for less then 20$ in any city that will pass any drug test.

I know from experiance.

I worked nearly 30 years before I retired....I never had to take a drug test for any job that I held.

Upper management NEVER has to take drug tests, and the corps that I worked for did not test their corporate office or field workers either. they only drug tested the employees that worked in the distribution center, because a lot of dangerous equipment to move the goods were present and needed to be operated.

No one in an office setting was drug tested. If they did not performed their job, then they were fired after the proper amount of write ups. they were not fired for doing drugs on their time off....they were fired if they could not perform the job they were paid to do...period.

As upper management, not once did I ever fire a person because of drugs....and I fired 11 out of the 12 employees I inherited at a new managers job once....leaving me and the 1 employee running the show until I could hire more...but again, not one of these people were fired for doing drugs, but for not doing their job and a few for stealing.

I hold a Director level position, I was drug tested. Everyone on my staff was drug tested (IT.) Our facilities manager was injured, he was tested. Our current president was hired as a production manager, HE was tested, I know, I filled out his clinic slip.

Most companies drug test, at every level. A company that tested line workers and not management is setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

MIAMI — State figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in Florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-July.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released Tuesday the Department of Children and Families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Proponents of the law have suggested applicants would be deterred because they knew they would test positive. Critics say applicants may not have taken the test because they couldn’t afford the fee that can be as much as $35 or didn’t have easy access to a testing facility.

I'm sure. FUCK EM

If you can't pass a piss test for your job you don't get to work. Why should these people be allowed to do nothing, get high and then get paid?

It will force many to get clean which will only have positive effects.

are they doing alcohol testing, too?

either way... are you going to starve people for smoking a joint? pure harassment, imo.
alcohol is legal. They are testing for illegal drugs or drugs they are not prescribed:cuckoo:

I don't think welfare is a constitutionally guaranteed right so the state has the ability to hold recipients to whatever criteria they please.

Well, seeing as nobody has said anything about welfare being a constitutional right, would you like to move along to the constitutional protects of searches without reasonable cause?

But it's not freedom if you are FORCED to take a drug test for no reason of your own accord, in my book.

In theory, the police cannot randomly stop people on the street and search them. BUT if you go into an airport, you WILL be searched. By going into the airport, you agree to be searched. Same with welfare, by accepting welfare, the recipient agrees to be drug tested.

It's implied consent.

[I don't have a problem with it as it's voluntary. You voluntarily apply for government hand outs not one person has ever been forced to take government aid.

If you want tax payer money then take the drug test. Your choice 100%

Same thing could be said about reporting crime to the police. Do you have no problem with police requiring drug tests for you to report a crime?

Works for me...

dont test...and dont get a check. :thup:

Should
Doctors
Nurses
Bus Drivers
Teachers
Firemen
Policemen
Be drug tested?

Does being poor in America enough to provide the government with "reasonable cause" under the Constitution for mandatory drug testing?

I think it's perfectly reasonable when asking for free, taxpayer provided dollars, to be reasonably certain you're not spending the money on drugs.

Welfare is not a mandatory program.

The state of Georgia takes welfare every second of every day from the Feds.
Do we all have to take a drug test?
Do they test for prescription dope where they do not have a prescription?
No.
And prescription drug overdoses now lead illegal drugs at emergency rooms 10 to 1.

[In theory, the police cannot randomly stop people on the street and search them. BUT if you go into an airport, you WILL be searched. By going into the airport, you agree to be searched. Same with welfare, by accepting welfare, the recipient agrees to be drug tested.

It's implied consent.

I don't think you known much about search and seizure law. The government has a limited ability to conduct searches that are LIMITED in scope, for a limited set of purposes and criteria. In the case of airport security, there is a compelling government interest to preserve public safety which outweights the limited intrusion to privacy of a routine security screening at an airport. (As a personal note, my opinion is that the new body scanner devices cross that line of "limited" search and tip the scales back to the side of privacy. But that's just me and I don't believe it's been in the courts.) Accordingly, the legality of government searches in the scope of airport security screening does not arise from the notion of voluntariness, but of falling within a limited field of reasonableness for the purposes of the 4th amendment.

Should
Doctors
Nurses
Bus Drivers
Teachers
Firemen
Policemen
Be drug tested?

Good point.
Problem is the drug tests do not reveal any prescription drug levels even if they are 10 times over what they should be.
Drug testing is a joke. Everyone that does it in my line of work knows it. Anyone can pass them as most do not hair follicle test which is the only reliable way to do it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable when asking for free, taxpayer provided dollars, to be reasonably certain you're not spending the money on drugs.

Welfare is not a mandatory program.

Okay, one of two things are happening here:

1) You're intentionally being dishonest by equivocating "reasonable" into a new meaning that does not actually apply in the relevant context.

2) You are ignorant of what "reasonable cause" means in the constitution.

Which is it?

The state of Georgia takes welfare every second of every day from the Feds.
Do we all have to take a drug test?
Do they test for prescription dope where they do not have a prescription?
No.
And prescription drug overdoses now lead illegal drugs at emergency rooms 10 to 1.

You are wrong. And besides that.. your ass has it bass ackwards.. The Government is the Welfare state.. They get their money from the States.. So Georgia pays into the kitty and gets a share back.. got that now? Thanks.

Forum List

Back