Welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

MIAMI — State figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in Florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-July.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released Tuesday the Department of Children and Families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Proponents of the law have suggested applicants would be deterred because they knew they would test positive. Critics say applicants may not have taken the test because they couldn’t afford the fee that can be as much as $35 or didn’t have easy access to a testing facility.

Not sure how I feel about this.

nearly 1,600 fla. Welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

miami — state figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-july.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released tuesday the department of children and families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Proponents of the law have suggested applicants would be deterred because they knew they would test positive. Critics say applicants may not have taken the test because they couldn’t afford the fee that can be as much as $35 or didn’t have easy access to a testing facility.

not sure how i feel about this.

link??????

Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

MIAMI — State figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in Florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-July.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released Tuesday the Department of Children and Families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Here's how I feel... then don't take the welfare. If you want the welfare, take the test.

are they doing alcohol testing, too?

either way... are you going to starve people for smoking a joint? pure harassment, imo.

What is a drug test going to prove? and why is it relevant to receiving welfare? If you're on drugs your kids dont have hunger?

Why don't all of the state representatives and senators take the test first. Some individual who works for a paper in FL. offered to pay for the testing, not the state, if all went to take the test.
They are on government pay.

either way... are you going to starve people for smoking a joint? pure harassment, imo.

You demonstrate the problem in our Government today. Zero common sense.

Well if they aren't taking the drug test that must mean they have money to buy drugs. Just a guess. I guess they will have to use their drug money and buy food and pay rent. So sorry for the poor downtrodden underdogs. NOT.

The Welfare roles have dropped down her in Florida. Bout time.

Pure harassment? lol nobody is forcing them to take the hand out... to call this harassment is either not knowing what harassment is or just straight diluted thinking

Anyways this is ultimately futile because most people who take drugs know how to get around the test. Well at least the smart ones and the ones able to play the system.

And I'm not sure of your point about alcohol? Do you want them to test for that or not?

Last edited:
nearly 1,600 fla. Welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

miami — state figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-july.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released tuesday the department of children and families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

not sure how i feel about this.

link??????

So Sorry. Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law - The Washington Post

Amazing the human race evolved without government welfare. Equally amazing is how America became the richest country in the world without welfare. But then, we did have all those people starving in the streets before welfare took hold in the 60s....right?

Screw the test. Stop the welfare.

1,597 + 32 + 1,629 stoners who have been sucking up taxpayers money. Now they ain't.

This is good.

Just think, if they spent their drug money on groceries it would be a win win wouldn't it? but leave it to a New Yawk bonehead to think hard working taxpayers should subsidize stoners..

Well if they aren't taking the drug test that must mean they have money to buy drugs. Just a guess. I guess they will have to use their drug money and buy food and pay rent. So sorry for the poor downtrodden underdogs. NOT.

and ur the Queen of England

Are you talking about welfare kids or adults?

Well if they aren't taking the drug test that must mean they have money to buy drugs. Just a guess.

That would be a pretty stupid test. As said already, the test costs money which many applicants may not have, not to mention accessibility problems. But why should we bother to take all factors into consideration? We're more interested in selectively using only those factors that give easy answers to our simplistic political demands.

Just think, if they spent their drug money on groceries it would be a win win wouldn't it? but leave it to a New Yawk bonehead to think hard working taxpayers should subsidize stoners..

But, you think that it is OK to subsidize drinkers?

Forum List

Back