Welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

anyone who fills out the irs long form should be drug tested...they are taking deductions that make them pay less taxes than me which means my taxes go towards supporting them...DRUG TEST THEM NOW! :D

who would have thought that our personal right to privacy would be blown to smithereens just because of taxes....?

Should
Doctors
Nurses
Bus Drivers
Teachers
Firemen
Policemen
Be drug tested?

anyone who fills out the irs long form should be drug tested...they are taking deductions that make them pay less taxes than me which means my taxes go towards supporting them...DRUG TEST THEM NOW! :D

who would have thought that our personal right to privacy would be blown to smithereens just because of taxes....?

You keep ignoring this question and I'm going to keep asking and letting everyone see how evasive you are.

1) Anyone applying for unemployment
2) Anyone applying for social security
3) Anyone applying for medicare
4) Anyone who checks the "have the IRS figure out my taxes" box

Should be drug tested. Not to mention ongoing random drug tests for anyone who receives a pension from a government job.

The article doesn't specifically state that those who declined to take the test did not get their welfare check.

I know that would be a reasonable assumption, but...

No one wants to address who the welfare benefits?

Drug users are bad but a drug users kid has nothing to do with it.

The state of Georgia takes welfare every second of every day from the Feds.
Do we all have to take a drug test?
Do they test for prescription dope where they do not have a prescription?
No.
And prescription drug overdoses now lead illegal drugs at emergency rooms 10 to 1.

You are wrong. And besides that.. your ass has it bass ackwards.. The Government is the Welfare state.. They get their money from the States.. So Georgia pays into the kitty and gets a share back.. got that now? Thanks.

"their fair share":lol::lol::lol:
"They get their money from the States" :lol::lol::lol:
Uh, earth to Willow, come in.
The states PAY NO TAXES. PEOPLE pay taxes.
Politicians redistribute taxes. And it IS NOT equitable EVER.
Every cent given back to the states is the same as welfare. Taxes collected at the point of a gun by government, plundered from working folks,sent to Washington and redistributed according to partisan political decisions both Democrat and Republican.
You are a closet liberal.

No one wants to address who the welfare benefits?

Drug users are bad but a drug users kid has nothing to do with it.

Then take the kid til the user stops using. Then give the kid back. But do not under any circumstances subsidize drug use. That's not fair to the taxpayers. Some day in the world the fucking taxpayer should catch a break and someone should give them a little consideration instead of just pissing the money away willy nilly.

Should be drug tested. Not to mention ongoing random drug tests for anyone who receives a pension from a government job.

Drug tests are JOKE. I have been in the security/detective business for 32 years.
Most of the worst prescription drugs are not tested. HIPPA bans them from asking what you are on if you take prescription drugs. It bans them from even asking if you have a prescription for it. You can eat all of those pills you want.
All that is tested are the illegal opiates-some of the opiates that are prescription WILL show up but most other legal drugs with a prescription will not.
Buy all those on the internet all day long without a prescription and do as much as you want and there will be nothing shown on the drug tests.

Does being poor in America enough to provide the government with "reasonable cause" under the Constitution for mandatory drug testing?

I think it's perfectly reasonable when asking for free, taxpayer provided dollars, to be reasonably certain you're not spending the money on drugs.

Welfare is not a mandatory program.
Being mandatory or not is not the issue - just because some Americans are poor is not "reasonable cause" that they are all drug users.

If receiving "taxpayers dollars" is the criteria, then why aren't ALL individuals on the government payroll, including the president, his/her staff, members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, etc. subject to the same rules.

That would open up a constitutional "can-of-worms" of those who would resent having "big government" intrude into their personal lives without "reasonable cause."

Last edited:
Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

MIAMI — State figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in Florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-July.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released Tuesday the Department of Children and Families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Proponents of the law have suggested applicants would be deterred because they knew they would test positive. Critics say applicants may not have taken the test because they couldn’t afford the fee that can be as much as $35 or didn’t have easy access to a testing facility.

Not sure how I feel about this.

are they doing alcohol testing, too?

either way... are you going to starve people for smoking a joint? pure harassment, imo.

Drugs are expensive, nay...drugs are REAL expensive.
So just maybe a person who can afford drugs can afford food. Or just maybe the welfare money is just enough to support the drug habit.
Either way...the government shouldn't give taxpayer money to people who can afford expensive drugs.

anyone who fills out the irs long form should be drug tested...

The IRS long form violates the 4th Amendment, yet your concern is with those who take welfare...

they are taking deductions that make them pay less taxes than me which means my taxes go towards supporting them...DRUG TEST THEM NOW! :D

Idiocy

Says the one who just spoke in favor on the 1040...

Last edited:
Does being poor in America enough to provide the government with "reasonable cause" under the Constitution for mandatory drug testing?

I think it's perfectly reasonable when asking for free, taxpayer provided dollars, to be reasonably certain you're not spending the money on drugs.

Being mandatory or not is not the issue - just because some Americans are poor is not "reasonable cause" that they are all drug users.

If receiving "taxpayers dollars" is the criteria, then why aren't ALL individuals on the government payroll, including the president, his/her staff, members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, etc. subject to the same rules.

That would open up a constitutional "can-of-worms" of those who would resent having "big government" intrude into their personal life without "reasonable cause."

Should Doctors, Teachers, Nurses, Firemen Policemen, truck drivers be drug tested?

Drug tests are JOKE. I have been in the security/detective business for 32 years.
Most of the worst prescription drugs are not tested. HIPPA bans them from asking what you are on if you take prescription drugs. It bans them from even asking if you have a prescription for it. You can eat all of those pills you want.
All that is tested are the illegal opiates-some of the opiates that are prescription WILL show up but most other legal drugs with a prescription will not.
Buy all those on the internet all day long without a prescription and do as much as you want and there will be nothing shown on the drug tests.

*cough* [/sarcasm]

Nearly 1,600 Fla. welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

MIAMI — State figures show that hundreds of welfare applicants in Florida have declined to take drug tests that have been required for the assistance since mid-July.
Thirty-two applicants failed the test, 7,028 passed and 1,597 didn’t take it, according figures released Tuesday the Department of Children and Families. People who decline to take the test aren’t required to explain.

Proponents of the law have suggested applicants would be deterred because they knew they would test positive. Critics say applicants may not have taken the test because they couldn’t afford the fee that can be as much as $35 or didn’t have easy access to a testing facility.

Not sure how I feel about this.
Forget what you feel...what do you think?

The taxpayers deserve to know that thier funds garnered by taxation is going to go for it's intended purpose, (food, clothing, shelter)...and nothing else.

After all weren't they being responsible when they paid the taxes? Why shouldn't recipients be responsible for the proper use of thier funding?

Oh, and uhm...it's a hand-up...not a way of life...no making the safety net a hammock.

Drugs are expensive, nay...drugs are REAL expensive.
So just maybe a person who can afford drugs can afford food. Or just maybe the welfare money is just enough to support the drug habit.

Or maybe, more logically under your premises, drugs are TOO EXPENSIVE in the first place for anyone who falls into the income qualifications for public assistance.

You want to a job working at my plant? You will be required to pass a criminal background and a drug test.
Deal with it.

[The taxpayers deserve to know that thier funds garnered by taxation is going to go for it's intended purpose, (food, clothing, shelter)...and nothing else.

Maybe we should require STD testing too. You know, because we wouldn't want people using their food stamps to buy hookers.

That would open up a constitutional "can-of-worms" of those who would resent having "big government" intrude into their personal life without "reasonable cause."

Should Doctors, Teachers, Nurses, Firemen Policemen, truck drivers be drug tested?
"Doctors, Teachers, Nurses, Firemen Policemen, truck drivers" are all in positions of added responsibility when it comes to safety/wellbeing of the public. Many are already on government payrolls, and those who aren't are subject to government licencing which could be used to require "drug testing."

"Drug testing" welfare recipients is an easy target, how about "drug testing" anyone/everyone who receives a government "tax cut" - the Republicans/Tea Party would suddenly be tripping all over each other trying to protect the constitutional rights of that group!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back