Wearing unearned military medals is free speech

The court made the correct ruling.

The court made a bullshit ruling. Unauthorized wear of the uniform and awards is fraud. It's no different than impersonating a police officer.

Evidently you're not a criminal for doing it, just a major douche nozzle

I'll excercise my 1st Amendment rights by publically humiliating these assholes.

Every now and then they run into the real deal and quickly regret being stupid.

The court made a bullshit ruling. Unauthorized wear of the uniform and awards is fraud. It's no different than impersonating a police officer.
Not the same thing, a police officer enforces the law , a phony in a military uniform has no power perceived or otherwise

It depends on the situation. Of National Gaurd soldiers are deployed in the area, it could be the same thing.

Also, someone impersonating as service member could exploit military discounts and that's fraud.

Not the same thing, a police officer enforces the law , a phony in a military uniform has no power perceived or otherwise

It depends on the situation. Of National Gaurd soldiers are deployed in the area, it could be the same thing.

Also, someone impersonating as service member could exploit military discounts and that's fraud.
not without a military ID

There are few things lower than doing this and Stolen Valor. If you never walked the walk do NOT pretend you have.

Court: Wearing unearned military medal is protected by Constitution

SAN FRANCISCO (Tribune News Service) — A federal law that prohibited people from wearing military medals they didn’t earn is unconstitutional for the same reason as a law that made it a crime to lie about earning a medal, a federal appeals court ruled Monday: It’s a falsehood that is protected by freedom of speech.
In an 8-3 ruling, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the now-repealed law against wearing unearned military decorations was a ban on a type of “symbolic speech.” Although the government can forbid falsehoods that cause tangible harm, like fraud or perjury, the Constitution restricts government regulation of expression based solely on its content, the court said.
“Suppressing a symbolic communication threatens the same First Amendment harm as suppressing a written communication,” Judge Sandra Ikuta said in the majority opinion. “Wearing a medal has no purpose other than to communicate a message.”

[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]Court: Wearing unearned military medal is protected by Constitution[/FONT]
Sad but I see their point. The good news, we've had several cases around here where REAL vets confront fakes and make their life a living hell. My wife alone has chewed out a few publicly outside grocery stores and WalMart.

That's a pretty specific and extremely rare circumstance. And not the circumstances we're speaking of in any case where this law was ever applied.

Instead, we're talking about someone pretending to have received a purple heart. 50 years ago. That in an of itself doesn't constitute any crime.

Using that lie to get something from someone fraudulently? That's fraud.

not without a military ID
Agreed...if we want a military discount, we show our military IDs.

It's BS. If you never served you have no business wearing the medals

Agreed, but that doesn't mean it should be a crime.

We'll have to disagree, my father earned his and for someone to do this is like spitting in his face and on his service
What part of “the court made the correct ruling” do you not understand – are you so intellectually crippled that you're incapable of separating your subjective opinion from the merits of the case law.

It's BS. If you never served you have no business wearing the medals

Agreed, but that doesn't mean it should be a crime.

We'll have to disagree, my father earned his and for someone to do this is like spitting in his face and on his service
What part of “the court made the correct ruling” do you not understand – are you so intellectually crippled that you're incapable of separating your subjective opinion from the merits of the case law.

We're still waiting on you to prove your comments on another thread. Tick tock.....you have zero credibility. Now scamper off again

The Stolen Valor Act is still enforceable if the person wearing such medals so much as gets a discount on a cup of coffee. Mostly the Stolen Valor game is played to receive more significant benefits such as travel upgrades and discounts at retail outlets. The travel upgrades are particularly disturbing because genuine active duty personnel and veterans are prevented from getting the benefit because it is being used by a fake, i.e., a fake may be taking an upgraded 1rst class seat instead of an active service member returning home from deployment.

Only problem here I see is how many discounts on his coffee & underwear, or given front row seats before he gets caught?
The first class travel is the one that pisses me off. A guy coming home from a deployment misses a chance for a special appreciation from the airline that includes a super comfortable seat, an above average meal, perhaps champagne or a fine wine, etc. Instead, it goes to a fake.
Every airline I know so far asks for ID

Every time this issue comes up the first person that comes to mind is the fucking traitor phony poser John Kerry. He was in VN for about 90 days and awarded himself the Silver Star.
The man is a walking piece of shit AND the man Obama sent to Iran to give Iran whatever they wanted if they'd only stop building nuclear bombs. The Ayatollah based laughed in Kerry's face and used the bullshit agreement as ass wipe before Kerry even got to the fucking plane to fly home to the fucking mental case drug addled "Pickle Lady'.
Um...Kerry did not award himself the Silver Star. That's not how it works. So your argument is totally invalid.

The problem in making it illegal to wear medals you haven't earned is that such a law would apply to actors in a movie or TV show about the military.
It would be nice to have Hollywood at least get it realistic. It always cracked me up that in Top Gun, all the squadron senior officers had the same set of ribbons....F-14 fighter jocks with the Antarctic Service medal right in the middle. WTF?????

What you can go after is their use of the false medals to somehow make money. If they get a material benefit from the fake medals, that's fraud.

You ever watch any of the Stolen Valor videos? A bunch of losers pretending to be someone, it's sad and pathetic. Best one out there is the one where a fraud ran into an Airborne Ranger, the Ranger literally bitch slapped the fraud.

You have no argument that isnt emotional

If I cared what a leftist retard said that might bother me but given you are indeed a leftist retard it doesn't. Now....GFY, clown boy

Ah...that RW greeting again.

What you can go after is their use of the false medals to somehow make money. If they get a material benefit from the fake medals, that's fraud.

You ever watch any of the Stolen Valor videos? A bunch of losers pretending to be someone, it's sad and pathetic. Best one out there is the one where a fraud ran into an Airborne Ranger, the Ranger literally bitch slapped the fraud.

You have no argument that isnt emotional

If I cared what a leftist retard said that might bother me but given you are indeed a leftist retard it doesn't. Now....GFY, clown boy

You seem to believe that not caring means you are not presenting an emotional argument. The only thing you have is the visual equivalent of this

tumblr_mken8uJLHj1qfnl9qo1_500.jpg

Doesn't your b/f need fondled or something? Your middle school type insults are just that, middle school. Now I repeat, GFY

How Ironic that you of all people, Bi-Catfish, would accuse someone else of "middle school type insults". Now, repeat your RW greeting again.

Desperate fools try to defend the POS John Kerry. A traitor to the service and this nation
Because you don't like his politics.

Yes, we know. RWrs like yourself don't really care about our vets.......you only pretend you do if their politics match yours. If they don't match yours, you go out of your way to denigrate their service whenever possible.

There are few things lower than doing this and Stolen Valor. If you never walked the walk do NOT pretend you have.

SAN FRANCISCO (Tribune News Service) — A federal law that prohibited people from wearing military medals they didn’t earn is unconstitutional for the same reason as a law that made it a crime to lie about earning a medal, a federal appeals court ruled Monday: It’s a falsehood that is protected by freedom of speech.
In an 8-3 ruling, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the now-repealed law against wearing unearned military decorations was a ban on a type of “symbolic speech.” Although the government can forbid falsehoods that cause tangible harm, like fraud or perjury, the Constitution restricts government regulation of expression based solely on its content, the court said.
“Suppressing a symbolic communication threatens the same First Amendment harm as suppressing a written communication,” Judge Sandra Ikuta said in the majority opinion. “Wearing a medal has no purpose other than to communicate a message.”

[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]Court: Wearing unearned military medal is protected by Constitution[/FONT]
Is it illegal to wear a military uniform if you are not in the military? Or a cop uniform? I am guessing but I would think it definitely is?

If so, for me that is reason enough not to allow military awards as well. I might let a terrorist into an even simply because I wanted to honor his "purple heart" he earned in Iraq.
It is not illegal to wear a military uniforms. They are available to the public. BDUs make great work clothes. The don't wear out, rip, or tear easily.

Thanks for informing me. Fabric, great idea. But surely, no one is stupid enough to put on the full regalia of a military uniform, etc. and walk around acting as though that is who they are or were? I guess I have heard of a few lunatics like that.

But even a policeman or highway patrol uniform? Who would dare try to get away with that?
guess you haven't seen those jokers in oregon
Exactly.

The Stolen Valor Act is still enforceable if the person wearing such medals so much as gets a discount on a cup of coffee. Mostly the Stolen Valor game is played to receive more significant benefits such as travel upgrades and discounts at retail outlets. The travel upgrades are particularly disturbing because genuine active duty personnel and veterans are prevented from getting the benefit because it is being used by a fake, i.e., a fake may be taking an upgraded 1rst class seat instead of an active service member returning home from deployment.

Only problem here I see is how many discounts on his coffee & underwear, or given front row seats before he gets caught?
Fucking BULLSHIT!!!!!!
There are thousands of human scum who claim to be former Navy Seals on job applications!!!!!!!
THAT is lying! to get an advantage over other applicants.
God help me if I ever come across the fucking stolen valor asshole. GOD HELP THEM!!!!!!
Yes...I'm sure you're one bad ass.....:gay:

Is it illegal to wear a military uniform if you are not in the military? Or a cop uniform? I am guessing but I would think it definitely is?

If so, for me that is reason enough not to allow military awards as well. I might let a terrorist into an even simply because I wanted to honor his "purple heart" he earned in Iraq.
It is not illegal to wear a military uniforms. They are available to the public. BDUs make great work clothes. The don't wear out, rip, or tear easily.

Thanks for informing me. Fabric, great idea. But surely, no one is stupid enough to put on the full regalia of a military uniform, etc. and walk around acting as though that is who they are or were? I guess I have heard of a few lunatics like that.

But even a policeman or highway patrol uniform? Who would dare try to get away with that?
guess you haven't seen those jokers in oregon

I have little interest in what is going on in Oregon, it's you daffy left loons losing your minds over it....but were OK with Baltimore and Ferguson
Who was ok with Baltimore and Ferguson? Name names with links to them SAYING they were ok with Baltimore and Ferguson.

Forum List

Back