We have a large military presence in Germany.

Sep 12, 2008
In bases all over the place:
Bamberg Local Training Area, Bamberg
Barton Barracks, Ansbach
Benjamin Franklin Village, Mannheim
Campbell Barracks, Heidelberg
Coleman Barracks, Mannheim
Conn Barracks, Schweinfurt
Dagger Complex, Darmstadt Training Center Griesheim
Funari Barracks, Mannheim
Germersheim Army Depot, Germersheim
Grafenwöhr Training Area, Grafenwöhr/Vilseck
Hammonds Barracks, Mannheim
Heidelberg Army Airfield, Heidelberg
Hohenfels Training Area/Joint Multinational Readiness Center, Hohenfels (Upper Palatinate)
Husterhoeh Kaserne, Pirmasens
Kaiserslautern Military Community
Katterbach Kaserne, Ansbach
Kelley Barracks/Nathan Hale Depot, Darmstadt
Kelley Barracks, Stuttgart
Kilbourne Kaserne, Schwetzingen
Kleber Kaserne, Kaiserslautern Military Community
Lampertheim Training Area, Lampertheim
Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Landstuhl
Ledward Barracks, Schweinfurt
Mark Twain Village, Heidelberg
McCully Barracks, Wackernheim
Miesau Army Depot, Miesau
Nachrichten Kaserne, Heidelberg
Panzer Kaserne, Stuttgart
Patch Barracks, Stuttgart
Pulaski Barracks, Kaiserslautern
Patrick Henry Village, Heidelberg
Patton Barracks, Heidelberg
Rhein Ordnance Barracks, Kaiserslautern
Robinson Barracks, Stuttgart
Rose Barracks, Vilseck
Shipton Kaserne, Ansbach
Smith Barracks, Baumholder
Spinelli Barracks, Mannheim
Storck Barracks, Illesheim
Stuttgart Army Airfield, Stuttgart
Sullivan Barracks, Mannheim
Taylor Barracks, Mannheim
Tompkins Barracks, Schwetzingen
Wiesbaden Army Airfield, Wiesbaden
Storage Station, Mainz-Kastel
Warner Barracks, Bamberg
USAG Wiesbaden Military Training Area, Mainz Gonsenheim/Mombach
USAG Wiesbaden Training Area, Mainz Finthen
USAG Wiesbaden Radar Station, Mainz Finthen
Anderson Barracks, Dexheim (will reopen)

Today I had a nice chat with an exchange student from Leipzig. She was cute, well spoken, intelligent and crazier than Mascale's bedbugs.

Over the course of my academic career both recently and 30 years ago I have met several students from Germany.

And I am convinced that a large US military presence in the place will be a damn good idea forever to keep watch on them.

I have to say your last sentence really put me (nearly) to tears.

I cannot believe what you wrote after 50+ years being one of your strongest allies, growing up with US soldiers & families in the barracks neighborhood. As far as i am concerned, the us troops always felt vey welcome here in germany and most of them were really sad when they had to leave.
Contrary to your believe, almost EVERY of your mentioned barracks will be GONE until 2015 or 2020. Heidelberg and Mannheim are almost closed, Benjamin Franklin Village e.g. is now a ghost town!
Stuttgart, Landstuhl, Ramstein, Wiesbaden and Grafenwoehr are the only remaining bases that will grow and stay for the next 30years+ i guess.

You should really concentrate on VILLAIN countrys like north korea, the middle east region where the anti-americanism dwells and suicidebombers are raised, or china which is going to be THE superpower in 2020+. This is the real threat.

A heartbroken german.
Markusmarkus

markus,

ordinary americans can only think in 1 dimension. german=nazi=killer of 6 million jews in auschwitz, this thing won´t change so quick. I made this expierience here several times. But Baruch is one of the more sophisticated guys here, his posts aren´t usually that bad.

Sometimes i´ve got the feeling that an ordinary american has some buttons in his head, which give standars answers and opinions to several keywords and there is no way to make them to a rethink. They way they discuss and finding arguments has sometimes more to do with a pavlov´s reflex than with a foundet, based and well-skilled thinking process. But we have to take them as they were. Let´s go ahead by making a good example.

Mr. Sauerkraut, another sometimes annoyed germanguy.

Last edited:
@Baruch

Have you ever thought about what all thease bases cost the american taxpayer? I really think you´ve got other problems then keeping us under control. Closing the half of the puplic schools in your major cities because of the lack of money to pay the teachers can´t really get in common to keeping a huge military presence anywhere.

Last edited:
@Baruch

Have you ever thought about what all thease bases cost the american taxpayer? I really think you´ve got other problems then keeping us under control. Closing the half of the puplic schools in your major cities because of the lack of money to pay the teachers can´t really get in common to keeping a huge military presence anywhere.

American Soldiers don't occupy Germany, they are there because the Germans want them there. If Germany doesn't want American bases anymore, do like the Iraqis did and tell us to leave. Germany makes alot of money from the American Military members.

markus,

ordinary americans can only think in 1 dimension. german=nazi=killer of 6 million jews in auschwitz, this thing won´t change so quick. I made this expierience here several times. But Baruch is one of the more sophisticated guys here, his posts aren´t usually that bad.

Sometimes i´ve got the feeling that an ordinary american has some buttons in his head, which give standars answers and opinions to several keywords and there is no way to make them to a rethink. They way they discuss and finding arguments has sometimes more to do with a pavlov´s reflex than with a foundet, based and well-skilled thinking process. But we have to take them as they were. Let´s go ahead by making a good example.

Thats not true, I don't think that way. I have been to Germany 3 or 4 times and from my experience Germans are a good people, I don't have any problems with them.

markus,

Do you know any Americans, or are you basing your views on internet message board members?

markus,

Your post is bullshit.

I have to say your last sentence really put me (nearly) to tears.

I cannot believe what you wrote after 50+ years being one of your strongest allies, growing up with US soldiers & families in the barracks neighborhood. As far as i am concerned, the us troops always felt vey welcome here in germany and most of them were really sad when they had to leave.
Contrary to your believe, almost EVERY of your mentioned barracks will be GONE until 2015 or 2020. Heidelberg and Mannheim are almost closed, Benjamin Franklin Village e.g. is now a ghost town!
Stuttgart, Landstuhl, Ramstein, Wiesbaden and Grafenwoehr are the only remaining bases that will grow and stay for the next 30years+ i guess.

You should really concentrate on VILLAIN countrys like north korea, the middle east region where the anti-americanism dwells and suicidebombers are raised, or china which is going to be THE superpower in 2020+. This is the real threat.

A heartbroken german.
Markusmarkus

I don't think he was being overly serious, and perhaps your understanding of it is not quite accurate.

America is crippled with horrific debts and we look at the money we're spending keeping bases in Europe and wonder why we need those bases. But, knowing the German Army, it is not surprising that you want us to stay.

We definitely need to look towards reducing our footprint in Europe. There is no viable reason for a deterent force in Europe. There is a reason to keep military medical facilities in Germany because of the combat we are conducting and it does make sense to preposition some equipement for future actions, but these should be a small percentage of what we have there.

My uncle spent 6 years in Germany, he was a Army Combat Engineer. He can still speak German pretty well ;).

Do you know any Americans, or are you basing your views on internet message board members?

i visited your country, met lots of americans and you´re right, several board members provided this meaning about ordinary americans too. If you´re not, don´t feel meant.

@california girl: I don´t expect any different response to my posts from you anymore. Please don´t surprise me.

@high gravity: But to get in this opinion, you have to come over and visit us like you did. If people like baruch still think that there has to be a military presece in germany to keep us under control, there is no wonder when they get answers like mine.

We need one Base there and that’s it, the same goes with Japan. We the American tax payers have subsidized their defense for too long, it's got to be cut Let them pay for their own defense we can't afford to keep wasting money in these countries

We need one Base there and that’s it,

if you think so, i don´t mind. these bases aren´t disturbing me anyway. I only wonder how the american people can accept watching their own country going down (closing schools, homeless people, etc) and spending billions of dollars in providing bases anwhere outisde their own country. But that´s just another american mystery and only your problem.

We need one Base there and that’s it,

if you think so, i don´t mind. these bases aren´t disturbing me anyway. I only wonder how the american people can accept watching their own country going down (closing schools, homeless people, etc) and spending billions of dollars in providing bases anwhere outisde their own country. But that´s just another american mystery and only your problem.

Nobody’s accepting anything, It's the job of the federal government to promote our interests around the world. Isolationism doesn't work, you people in Europe should know that better than anybody. I'm not going to attempt to explain to you our domestic issues because we are not talking about that here, and Europeans don't seem to understand our Constitution form of government .

We must keep those evil East Germans at bay!

Probably you´re right...

guido-westerwelle-fdp.jpg

Nobody’s accepting anything, It's the job of the federal government to promote our interests around the world. Isolationism doesn't work, you people in Europe should know that better than anybody. I'm not going to attempt to explain to you our domestic issues because we are not talking about that here, and Europeans don't seem to understand our Constitution form of government .
Maybe, we need German bases here in the U.S. to keep Americans under control. :cool:

Forum List

Back