We get 5 Americans, they get 5 Iranians and $6B: U.S., Iran Agree to Prisoner Swap

As much as I want to see Americans detained under questionable circumstances returned home, I loathe the idea of paying for them, even if it is Iran's money. We as a country may not negotiate with terrorists, but it sure seems like we can be blackmailed...

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration has cleared the way for the release of five American citizens detained in Iran by issuing a blanket waiver for international banks to transfer $6 billion in frozen Iranian money from South Korea to Qatar without fear of U.S. sanctions. In addition, as part of the deal, the administration has agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken signed off on the sanctions waivers late last week, a month after U.S. and Iranian officials said an agreement in principle was in place. Congress was not informed of the waiver decision until Monday, according to the notification, which was obtained by The Associated Press...

Don't try to tell me that none of this money will wind up in the coffers of Hamas or ISIS or the Muslim Brotherhood or some other terrorist group. Terrorism is Iran's biggest export...

And let's not forget their nuclear program...

A much better and more effective deal would be them releasing the Americans or seeing Tehran leveled.

As much as I want to see Americans detained under questionable circumstances returned home, I loathe the idea of paying for them, even if it is Iran's money. We as a country may not negotiate with terrorists, but it sure seems like we can be blackmailed...

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration has cleared the way for the release of five American citizens detained in Iran by issuing a blanket waiver for international banks to transfer $6 billion in frozen Iranian money from South Korea to Qatar without fear of U.S. sanctions. In addition, as part of the deal, the administration has agreed to release five Iranian citizens held in the United States.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken signed off on the sanctions waivers late last week, a month after U.S. and Iranian officials said an agreement in principle was in place. Congress was not informed of the waiver decision until Monday, according to the notification, which was obtained by The Associated Press...

Don't try to tell me that none of this money will wind up in the coffers of Hamas or ISIS or the Muslim Brotherhood or some other terrorist group. Terrorism is Iran's biggest export...

But you would support it if it went to Russia.

So? Five Americans are home. One of them after 8 years.

Good job President Biden.

And everyone knows that kidnapping/detaining Americans is good business.

Maybe we should try to stop seizing other people's assets.

The real problem is Iran didn't turn hostile to us in the last year. We've known Iran is hostile since 1979. We seized their assets in response to them taking hostages (because they had a reasonable fear we were going to try to put the Shah back into power.) Then when they released the hostages, we didn't return many of the assets.

If you go to a war zone or a country that is openly hostile to the US, you really, really are on your own.

Don't forget 'the big guy' gets 10%. No word on how much the other DNC gangsters get; I doubt 'the big guy' shares his with anybody.

Yes, it needs repeating.

Last edited:
S.Korean banks.

US releases $6bn in frozen Iran funds for prisoner swap

View attachment 831242
BBC
https://www.bbc.com › world-middle-east-66784817
7 days ago — The US has issued a sanctions waiver for banks to transfer $6bn (£4.8bn) of frozen Iranian funds from South Korea to Qatar, paving the way ...
Either way, it was frozen by US sanctions. The people who try to claim that the Biden administration paid Iran $6 billion of US tax dollars are still liars regardless of what country the banks were in.

Dark Brandon strikes again.

He negotiated the release of 5 Americans from Iran...and paid using Iran's own money!

Well played Biden!

6 million that will go to terrorize Israelis
Democrats don’t care. They’re the anti-Israel Party.

Trump would NEVER have released $6 billion to a terrorist nation so they could fund terrorist attacks against the Jewish country. But Biden? Eh.

(I believe Obama pushed through this one. Has his stink all over it.)

$6 billion in frozen Iranian money?

So it's their money?

Really?

The Iranians get no moey from us. They only get their own money?

Oh please, we can always invade another sovereign Muslim majority country and tell them we're there to save them, while sacrificing our own men and women. We're not evil Israelis

Last edited:
Democrats don’t care. They’re the anti-Israel Party.

Trump would NEVER have released $6 billion to a terrorist nation so they could fund terrorist attacks against the Jewish country. But Biden? Eh.

(I believe Obama pushed through this one. Has his stink all over it.)
No, Mr. Trump would and did secure 'the release of American Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks, who were being held by the Taliban, in exchange for the release of three senior Taliban leaders being held in jails in Afghanistan.' -- Two regular guys for 3 very dangerous leaders?

In fact, several of the deals resulting in the release of Americans held hostage or being wrongfully detained abroad came as a result of prisoner swaps during Trump’s time in office.

• In November 2019, the Trump administration secured the release of American Kevin King and Australian Timothy Weeks, who were being held by the Taliban, in exchange for the release of three senior Taliban leaders being held in jails in Afghanistan.
  • In December 2019, the U.S. did a prisoner exchange with Iran, freeing Xiyue Wang, a graduate student at Princeton University who was serving a 10-year sentence in Iran on espionage charges. To secure Wang’s release, the U.S. freed Masoud Soleimani, an Iranian scientist convicted of export violations.
  • In July 2020, the Trump administration secured the release of Michael White, a Marine veteran jailed in Iran on charges of insulting the country’s supreme leader, in exchange for the release of a dermatologist convicted on export violations.
  • In October 2020, a deputy assistant to Trump helped broker a deal to free two Americans being held hostage by Iranian-backed militants in Yemen in exchange for the release of about 250 Houthi rebels being held in Oman.

"It’s simply revisionist history to claim his administration “got 58 hostages released from various hostile countries without … giving up anything.”

Forum List

Back