"We defeated the wrong enemy" General George S. Patton

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
i have 2 questions
1) how General George S. Patton came to this conclusion ?
2) and why USA/UK did not liberate Eastern Europe from Stalinist , totalitarian, commie, satanic occupation in 1945? even thought the West ( centralization ) had such plans

Operation Unthinkable - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Operation_Unthinkable

Operation Unthinkable were two related but unrealised plans by the Western Allies against the Soviet Union. They were ordered by British prime minister Winston Churchill in 1945 and developed by the British Armed Forces' Joint Planning ... and the perception that the Soviet leader Joseph Stalin was unreliable, there ...

1) Patton did not see them as an Allie

2) Liberation followed suit in pow's and turf

~S~

1) Patton did not see them as an Allie

2) Liberation followed suit in pow's and turf

~S~
Patton is one of my favorite generals and historical figures , unfortunately he did not have enough political power in Washington

Any quick success would be due to surprise alone. If a quick success could not be obtained before the onset of winter, the assessment was that the Allies would be committed to a protracted total war. In the report of 22 May 1945, an offensive operation was deemed "hazardous".

I can only say that thank God this operation went unrealised.

i have 2 questions
2) and why USA/UK did not liberate Eastern Europe from Stalinist , totalitarian, commie, satanic occupation in 1945? even thought the West ( centralization ) had such plans

Operation Unthinkable were two related but unrealised plans by the Western Allies against the Soviet Union. They were ordered by British prime minister Winston Churchill in 1945 and developed by the British Armed Forces' Joint Planning ... and the perception that the Soviet leader Joseph Stalin was unreliable, there ...

I don't think it would have worked. First, while many were happy to be liberated from the Nazis, there was not nearly as much hatred of the Communists. There was still a small view that they were for the people. I think many countries already supported communist policies of equality and fairness, education and anti-wealthy. I'm not sure we would have had the kind of public support fighting back the Red Army, that we did fighting back the Nazis. To many, the Red Army was a liberating force. For us to attack them, would not go well in public opinion.

Fast forward a few decades, and people are starving, and people trying to escape are shot by Red Soldiers, and yeah maybe. But not directly after WW2.

Second, unless we made a mad dash straight for the capital of Russia, and managed to force a surrender, we would have been stalled until the onset of Winter, and I have reason no reason to believe that the allied forces would have fared any better in the harsh Russian winter, as any other army that had invaded. The brutality of the Russian winter, and the fact Russian troops were entirely used to it, made for a lethal combination, that I for one, don't think the allies would survive.

American leadership had no desire to send millions of American troops to their deaths in a war with the Soviets. Anyway, they had no way to know that the Soviets would create so many puppet regimes in Europe and elsewhere.

Patton clearly didn't understand the enormity of the Soviet army, assuming he actually made the remark.

Patton was spot on. FDR was the one who decided to save the Soviet Union at all costs, even if that meant provoking Japan, a long-time anti-Communist ally, into attacking us. Hitler and the Nazis were despicable, but Stalin and the Soviets were even worse.

Any quick success would be due to surprise alone. If a quick success could not be obtained before the onset of winter, the assessment was that the Allies would be committed to a protracted total war. In the report of 22 May 1945, an offensive operation was deemed "hazardous".

what are you taking about we had a big boy, we could win in couple of days Muscovite solders were nearly all killed /died. Kremlin gang stated to drag solders from Central Asia it did not work well for them. anti - stalinist partisans controlled territory bigger than entire western europe . they even killed a commie front commander , i am not sure that Germans killed one for all years of war

what are you taking about we had a big boy, we could win in couple of days Muscovite solders were nearly all killed /died. Kremlin gang stated to drag solders from Central Asia it did not work well for them. anti - stalinist partisans controlled territory bigger than entire western europe . they even killed a commie front commander , i am not sure that Germans killed one for all years of war
By a big boy you mean an atomic bomb? I don't know where your ancestors lived, buy mine lived at the USSR at the time. And they could happen to be in the range of the bomb, as thousands of other people.
So, fuck them with their plans.

American generals don't get to make political decisions. It doesn't matter what Patton thought, the president deemed Stalin to be an ally.

American generals don't get to make political decisions. It doesn't matter what Patton thought, the president deemed Stalin to be an ally.

And the president made an idiotic, fatally flawed decision, perhaps because he was so brazenly pro-Soviet and/or perhaps because he had so many Soviet spies and sympathizers in his administration. FDR and Truman handed over Eastern Europe to Stalin, and then Truman handed over China to Mao. Tens of millions of Russians and Chinese died at the hands of Stalin and Mao.

And the president made an idiotic, fatally flawed decision, perhaps because he was so brazenly pro-Soviet and/or perhaps because he had so many Soviet spies and sympathizers in his administration. FDR and Truman handed over Eastern Europe to Stalin, and then Truman handed over China to Mao. Tens of millions of Russians and Chinese died at the hands of Stalin and Mao.

It's hard to determine Patton's mindset back then but surely he didn't presume to second guess the political decisions made by the FDR administration.The tactical decision to hold Ike back while the Russians ransacked Berlin is questionable as was FDR's state of mind late in the war but it was reasonable in retrospect to keep Russia as an ally rather than an enemy and keep from expanding the War into three fronts while arming the Russians against the Nazi army early in the war.

i have 2 questions

I don't think it would have worked. First, while many were happy to be liberated from the Nazis, there was not nearly as much hatred of the Communists. There was still a small view that they were for the people. I think many countries already supported communist policies of equality and fairness, education and anti-wealthy. I'm not sure we would have had the kind of public support fighting back the Red Army, that we did fighting back the Nazis. To many, the Red Army was a liberating force. For us to attack them, would not go well in public opinion.

Fast forward a few decades, and people are starving, and people trying to escape are shot by Red Soldiers, and yeah maybe. But not directly after WW2.

Second, unless we made a mad dash straight for the capital of Russia, and managed to force a surrender, we would have been stalled until the onset of Winter, and I have reason no reason to believe that the allied forces would have fared any better in the harsh Russian winter, as any other army that had invaded. The brutality of the Russian winter, and the fact Russian troops were entirely used to it, made for a lethal combination, that I for one, don't think the allies would survive.
The March back out of N.Korea under Chinese snipers and harassment in the coldest winter fight that was fought at the Chosin reservoir, was an eye opener for sure about fighting in tough winter situations like that one was.

At the time yes. The Nazis had to be defeated period. Not sure about Russia today myself. Relations with major players is good, but we can't or shouldn't sell our soul in the exchanges.

By a big boy you mean an atomic bomb? I don't know where your ancestors lived, buy mine lived at the USSR at the time. And they could happen to be in the range of the bomb, as thousands of other people.
well we ´d be ready to take this risk in order to avoid the satanic mongol Asiatic totalitarian 55 long years slavery, do you think differently ?

i have 2 questions

The US should never have entered WWII. If not for FDR’s terrible dishonest leadership, we might have avoided it.

Patton could see the Soviets were totalitarians but fighting them to liberate Eastern Europe, was not considered. The nation was war weary and in no mood to fight Stalin.

well we ´d be ready to take this risk in order to avoid the satanic mongol Asiatic totalitarian 55 long years slavery, do you think differently ?
Yes, I think differently. The most vicious years of Stalins rule were 1930s. In those years millions were starved to death, killed in NKVD prisons, died in labour camps. Where were your liberators?
''Slavery' that was afterwards, especially after Stalins death, was just a kindergarten.

Forum List

Back