Was thinking today about differences between our language, do you guys say "Fish and Chips" too?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

What say you? Fish and Chips?[/QUOTE]

My England eating experience:
They call sausages "bangers" in England.
They put butter on sandwiches in England.
One time I bought a lady a drink and she said that she would like a "black currant shandy" and asked her if she was sure about that? I had know idea what it was. So I watched the bartender draw a beer and then put a shot of grape juice in it. That's when I learned what a shandy was.
BTW, England has the best beers.

Last edited:
/----/Every Italian restaurant in NY calls hamburger in tomato sauce over pasta: bolognese
View attachment 203792
That just made me drool. Goulash is different though. Not the wonderful bolognese sauce -- just a big can of Hunts and maybe a spoonful of sugar, depending on how pickish it is.

Sugar?

:puke:

I get incensed walking through a grocery store looking for tomato products that aren't infested with sugar. To this day I've never seen anyone sit down for a meal of lasagna or spaghetti or even pizza and go "please pass the sugar".

What does "pickish" mean?
/-----/ My wife is 1/2 Italian and she learned from her full Italian mother and Aunts who were all great cooks. Baking soda added to the sauce while cooking to counteract the tomato acidic taste. If they added too much baking soda then they added a bit of sugar to balance the taste. Maybe a tablespoon in a large pot of sauce.

Eeewww.

That's all, just eeeewwwww.
/-----/ Our neighbors lineup to have my wife's lasagna and meatballs. Our grandkids clean the plate.
How do you tone down tomato taste?
adding baking soda and sugar to tomato sauce - Google Search
An important factor in achieving great tomato flavor is balancing acidity and sweetness. Too much of either can leave you with a sauce that tastes one-dimensional. Adding baking soda will change the pH of tomato sauce, making it less acidic. Generally, we balance tomato sauce acidity by adding a bit of sugar.
You'll never change his mind. He couldn't even detect the sugar in my sauce, but if he knows it's there.....fuggetaboutit.

Sugar?

I get incensed walking through a grocery store looking for tomato products that aren't infested with sugar. To this day I've never seen anyone sit down for a meal of lasagna or spaghetti or even pizza and go "please pass the sugar".

/-----/ My wife is 1/2 Italian and she learned from her full Italian mother and Aunts who were all great cooks. Baking soda added to the sauce while cooking to counteract the tomato acidic taste. If they added too much baking soda then they added a bit of sugar to balance the taste. Maybe a tablespoon in a large pot of sauce.

Eeewww.

/-----/ Our neighbors lineup to have my wife's lasagna and meatballs. Our grandkids clean the plate.
An important factor in achieving great tomato flavor is balancing acidity and sweetness. Too much of either can leave you with a sauce that tastes one-dimensional. Adding baking soda will change the pH of tomato sauce, making it less acidic. Generally, we balance tomato sauce acidity by adding a bit of sugar.

How do you tone down tomato? You don't. You add to it.

My tomato paste gets onion, basil, oregano, whatever peppers I have, mushrooms and plenty of garlic, of which there's never too much.

Sugar feeds bacteria too, and that kills shelf life. The one and only thing I have any sugar at all for is to make hummingbird nectar.

Besides --- I want acidic food. My constitution leans to the alkaline.
/-----/ Shelf life is not a problem in our house. There are rarely any leftovers. And why are you arguing with Italian cooks who have made sauce for a 100 years? Maybe you should try a small bact their way.

I can taste immediately when a tomato sauce has been infected with sugar. That's exactly why I make my own.

That just made me drool. Goulash is different though. Not the wonderful bolognese sauce -- just a big can of Hunts and maybe a spoonful of sugar, depending on how pickish it is.

Sugar?

Eeewww.

You'll never change his mind. He couldn't even detect the sugar in my sauce, but if he knows it's there.....fuggetaboutit.
Sugar and flag'on of wine.

Sugar?

Eeewww.

I never did put wine in my sauce. I've heard of it though.

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

What say you? Fish and Chips?

One time I bought a lady a drink and she said that she would like a "black currant shandy" and asked her if she was sure about that? I had know idea what it was. So I watched the bartender draw a beer and then put a shot of grape juice in it. That's when I learned what a shandy was.
BTW, England has the best beers.[/QUOTE]

We put butter on sandwiches in Canada also. Underneath the peanut butter, jam or meat.

A dropping from another thread:

total-county.gif

We put butter on sandwiches in Canada also. Underneath the peanut butter, jam or meat.[/QUOTE]

Actually butter on sandwiches was not that bad

We put butter on sandwiches in Canada also. Underneath the peanut butter, jam or meat.

Actually butter on sandwiches was not that bad[/QUOTE]

I thought it was standard everywhere! See how much one learns?

Eeewww.

I never did put wine in my sauce. I've heard of it though.
A cheap Port or a nice Chianti works pretty well.

th

BTW, England has the best beers.[/QUOTE]
Nah.

Germany's beers put the UK's to shame.

In Upstate NY, we call getting clean a "shower," and we wash our ass with "soap."

A series on TV is called a "show," and a spouse is called, "yo!"

The rubber on the bottom of our vehicles we call "tires" and when we are in there, moving the shitbox, we call that "driving."

When a person is out of shape or has really skinny muscles, we call that "do you even weights, bro?"

I grew up in this rather weird area, too, where folks were buried in "graves" but...theyd always be dead first and then we'd tell everyone how old they are on a "head stone," also called "grave stone."

Because a plot is just the main parts of a story.

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

Soda, pop, tonic, fizzy lifting drink, it all depends on where you are.

Goulash and American Chop Suey are utterly unrelated. And if you make it with tomato sauce you should be shot.

OldLady said:
They apparently don't have goulash, either.
I Haven't Had A Good Bowl Of Goulash
Since My Dad's Mom Passed In '68
My Wife Doesn't Even Know What It Is

I've Recently Found An Authentic Recipe On A Web-Site
The Ingredients Sound About Right
But I'm Sure To Up The Ante On The Garlic
Love The Stuff
I'll Make It Up This Chilly Fall

As Far As The OP Goes
I Don't Say Fish & Chips
I Sport Fish Myself, So It's Not Something I Order Out

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

We call it pop in da south..No fish and chips, in the US chips are what you lot would call crisps..

OldLady said:
They apparently don't have goulash, either.
I Haven't Had A Good Bowl Of Goulash
Since My Dad's Mom Passed In '68
My Wife Doesn't Even Know What It Is

I've Recently Found An Authentic Recipe On A Web-Site
The Ingredients Sound About Right
But I'm Sure To Up The Ante On The Garlic
Love The Stuff
I'll Make It Up This Chilly Fall

As Far As The OP Goes
I Don't Say Fish & Chips
I Sport Fish Myself, So It's Not Something I Order Out
I had a German Ma so we ate goulash at least once a week...

It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.
Like coke lol
You guys dont do spaghetti?
Maybe OL meant goulash.
To some, macaroni means noodles lol
Macaroni is a noodle damn it!

Moonglow said:
Iv'e Thought About It Every First Cold Snap
Just Never Whipped Any Up

Noodles/Pasta/Tomatoes
Is The One Thing I Never Tire Of
Eat The Stuff Anyway Anyhow
So If I Make Of Good Job Of It
And Git 'Er All Seasoned To Taste
I'll Make A Crock Full Of The Stuff
And Just Eat Myself Into A Coma...

Oh, And On The Fish & Chips Thing
I Think The Brits Use Plain Vinegar On Their Texas Fries
Instead Of Catsup

Moonglow said:
Iv'e Thought About It Every First Cold Snap
Just Never Whipped Any Up

Noodles/Pasta/Tomatoes
Is The One Thing I Never Tire Of
Eat The Stuff Anyway Anyhow
So If I Make Of Good Job Of It
And Git 'Er All Seasoned To Taste
I'll Make A Crock Full Of The Stuff
And Just Eat Myself Into A Coma...

Oh, And On The Fish & Chips Thing
I Think The Brits Use Plain Vinegar On Their Texas Fries
Instead Of Catsup
How barbaric!, considering ketchup is made with vinegar, just not too much.

Forum List

Back