Was the Civil War Worth 600,000 Dead Americans?

Was the Civil War Worth 600,000 Dead Americans?

• Total voters
Make up your mind, do you want the Constitution followed or not? He did not have the authority to either outlaw slavery outright or make freed slaves citizens.

Your response is most disingenuous.]

My response was accurate. Your attitude is hypocritical.

I think not.

Because Lincoln did not free all the slaves and make them citizens, you claim he is following the constitution. Okay...whatever. Did he follow the constitution in everything he did?

Lincoln, like many presidents, never felt the Constitution constraint him in any way. If he had, he would have known that the Southern states had every right to secede.

My response was accurate. Your attitude is hypocritical.

I think not.

Because Lincoln did not free all the slaves and make them citizens, you claim he is following the constitution. Okay...whatever.

Not "okay...whatever." He did not have the authority to do so.

He didn't have the authority to do nearly everything he did...and you are bitching about this. Too funny.

I think not.

Because Lincoln did not free all the slaves and make them citizens, you claim he is following the constitution. Okay...whatever.

He didn't have the authority to do nearly everything he did....

You claim to be upset about that, but expected him to overstep his authority on this? You are the very definition of a hypocrite.

Its plenty ignorant to conclude that the US stepped outside constitutional boundaries through prosecuting that ass-kickin down south. The confederacy wasn't due any rights in the Constitution after they reported their mutiny from the Union and drafted up their own.

Re-guessing history is fun, but doesn't really get anywhere. If the south had not seceded in April, 1861, when would it have? I see no reason to believe it would not have. They were opposed to the economic system that was taking hold of the world and backed themselves into an inflexible corner. The imbalance of trade they ran on could not last.
It is surprising that some fail to recognize the complicity of the south in the war. They absolutely knew a declaration of secession meant fighting. They refused a democratic solution. That does not defend Lincoln, simply states facts.

The South Lost. The Civil War is over and Slavery no longer exists on our soil. Those who wish to fight another such war ought to first walk the field of battle at Gettysburg. Then, go visit our National Cemeteries and read the names and ages of those who died in wars defending the union.

He didn't have the authority to do nearly everything he did....

You claim to be upset about that, but expected him to overstep his authority on this? You are the very definition of a hypocrite.

You continue to call me a hypocrite, which is not a debate tactic used by intelligent people.

Lincoln seldom followed the Constitution. He felt he could do whatever he wanted. He was not constrained in any way, by the law. So, why did he fail to free all the slaves and provide them citizenship? You seem to think he couldn't, because the law prevented him...and yet, if you know history, you know Lincoln ignored the law.

gipper does not know how to set up an argument.

Lincoln finally moved against Southern slavery as a war measure with the emancipation proclamation. He then had the radicals introduce the 13th amendment.

Lincoln moved consistently with purpose, and his goal was completed in December 1865 with the ratification of the 13th amendment.

Forum List

Back