Was Romney really "shellshocked"?

EriktheRed

Eh...
Jun 27, 2009
IL
So why on earth would Team Romney, in CYA-mode following the election, start flogging the story to credulous media enablers that they were "shellshocked" by the results? It boils down to two alternatives for Romney's camp, neither of them good, both of which would be the basis for claims of political malpractice. Option A: admit that you were operating in a bubble, that your pollsters were making faulty assumptions, and that despite the fact that your pollsters were coming up with numbers that didn't look like anyone else's, you were so reliant on gut feelings about voter enthusiasm that you didn't bother to seek a second opinion. (That's the CBS article, in a nutshell.)

Or Option B: admit that your data looked much like everyone else's and that you're smart enough to know that all along that you were losing, but that the rules of the game prevented you from publicly admitting that. That's partially because, via the 'bandwagon effect,' it might depress turnout, but mostly because it would depress contributions from big money donors who don't want to waste their money -- thus becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy because you then wouldn't have the money you'd need to even have a shot at winning.

Team Romney might be falling on its sword here and choosing Option A -- even though it has the effect of demolishing what remained of his pragmatic numbers-driven wonk brand, making him look like a self-absorbed fool selectively listening only to yes men -- because Option B would be even more unthinkable, in terms of Republican hopes for future races.

Rethinking "shellshocked" Romney

So why on earth would Team Romney, in CYA-mode following the election, start flogging the story to credulous media enablers that they were "shellshocked" by the results? It boils down to two alternatives for Romney's camp, neither of them good, both of which would be the basis for claims of political malpractice. Option A: admit that you were operating in a bubble, that your pollsters were making faulty assumptions, and that despite the fact that your pollsters were coming up with numbers that didn't look like anyone else's, you were so reliant on gut feelings about voter enthusiasm that you didn't bother to seek a second opinion. (That's the CBS article, in a nutshell.)

Or Option B: admit that your data looked much like everyone else's and that you're smart enough to know that all along that you were losing, but that the rules of the game prevented you from publicly admitting that. That's partially because, via the 'bandwagon effect,' it might depress turnout, but mostly because it would depress contributions from big money donors who don't want to waste their money -- thus becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy because you then wouldn't have the money you'd need to even have a shot at winning.

Team Romney might be falling on its sword here and choosing Option A -- even though it has the effect of demolishing what remained of his pragmatic numbers-driven wonk brand, making him look like a self-absorbed fool selectively listening only to yes men -- because Option B would be even more unthinkable, in terms of Republican hopes for future races.

Rethinking "shellshocked" Romney

I actually believe it was option A. His own people didn't understand the electorate. When George Will said he thought Romney was going to win with over 300 electoral votes, I actually began to worry just a little bit, because I have always respected George Will, even when I don't agree with him. They all were duped. They had the wrong voter model and it was off big time. One thing I can be pretty sure of; you won't see them make this mistake again.

I actually believe it was option A. His own people didn't understand the electorate. When George Will said he thought Romney was going to win with over 300 electoral votes, I actually began to worry just a little bit, because I have always respected George Will...

I loved George in the 70s. He was a fierce opponent of Reagan and the voodoo economics, but later turned tom the dark side. It was all downhill from there. He got more face time on television and his books and articles sold well..but he sold his soul.

I did enjoy The pursuit of happiness, and other sobering thoughts

Was Romney really "shellshocked"?

I doubt it.

But I do not doubt that both candidates were beat to hell from the campaign and (win or lose) happy that its over.

Who probably IS shell shocked are the billionaires supported MITT.

The must have one hell of a collective case of BUYERS REGRET.

Mr. Burns: I see it all, now. You're just a bunch of yes-men. I was making the wrong moves and you were too gutless to tell me! Isn't that right??
Yes-men: Oh, yes, sure, etc.
Smithers: Right on, sir.

Was Romney shellshocked?

I think he was. If you look at him closely during the concession speech, it's clear that he had been crying. You don't cry on election night if you know well in advance that you lost. McCain didn't cry.

Romney was a victim of the 'Conservative Entertainment Complex', too.

Shell shocked?---Maybe.

I don't have the type of education that qualifies me to diagnose people with neurological trauma or sociopathic thinking but-----but brain trauma or genetic sociopathic thinking may be a Romney family trait -- remember when Mitt's Dad George was "brainwashed" after spending just a couple of days with General Westmoreland? Then there's Ann's whine about serving a Mormon mission on the Riviera was as dangerous as picking leaches off your ass while dodging sniper fire in Vietnam -- WTF, you gotta be crazy to believe that. Then there's the self described unathletic Tagg Romney that stupidly challenged the President to a fist fight? -pewsh!-
Not to mention Mitt's grandfather who decried the United States of America over our marriage equality laws but-----but was to lily-livered/cowardly to stay in the country and fight for what he believed in.

I'm not qualified to make a medical diagnosis but my opinion is there is something seriously wrong with the Romney family's sociopathic thinking/behavior.

Forum List

Back