Was Pope Francis Actually Swindled into Meeting Kim Davis?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Yup, it turns out.

Was Pope Francis Actually Swindled into Meeting Kim Davis?

*snip*

According to (E.J.) Dionne, the meeting between Davis and the pope was brokered by Archbishop Carlo Vigano, the papal nuncio to the United States at whose residence the pope stayed during his time in Washington, which is when the meeting took place.

Before we continue, let us stipulate a few things. First of all, let us stipulate that there are more than a few members of the Church's permanent bureaucracy, both within the Clan Of The Red Beanie and without, who are not happy that this gentleman got elected Pope, and who are not happy with what he's done and said since he was. Second, let us stipulate that many members of this group are loyal to both former pope Josef Ratzinger and, through him, to the memory (and to what they perceive as the legacy) of John Paul II who, for good and ill, had a much different idea of how to wield a papacy than Papa Francesco does. Third, let us stipulate that this opposition to the current pope has been active and vocal, to say nothing of paranoid. Finally, let us stipulate that, for over 2000 years, the Vatican has been a hotbed of intrigue, betrayal, and sanctified ratfcking on a very high scale. (It also has been a hotbed of, well, hot beds, but that's neither here nor there at the moment.) So, if you're one of these people, and you're looking to ratfck the pope's visit to the United States, and to his agenda in general, you'd be looking to put him in a box. So, how would you do that?

Here's what I'd do. I'd arrange for the pope to meet Davis, but not as an American culture war celebrity, but as a devout Christian whose faith is under vague assault. (I would not mention the three marriages or the fact that she took an oath before god to do her job. I mean, why burden the poor old fella with details, right?) I'd shuffle her through the process and she gets some vague words of encouragement from the pope, who otherwise doesn't know her from any other hick who gets sent his way. I'd sit on the news for the entire rest of the pope's trip, even enlisting Davis's publicity-hungry legal team in that effort.

However, as the pope is preparing to go wheels-up in Philadelphia, I'd get the word to a reporter – say, Terry Moran of ABC. On the plane ride home, Moran would ask the pope a vague question about "religious liberty," without mentioning Davis's name, which seems a curious omission for a veteran journalist to make. The pope again would give a fairly anodyne answer about freedom of conscience with which nobody can disagree. Then, with the pope safely back in Rome, I'd leak the news to a conservative Catholic website and wait for the inevitable explosion. (Implicit in this strategy are two facts: a) that the pope doesn't know who Davis is or the facts of her situation, and b) that the Vatican press office will resort to its default position of clumsy semi-stonewalling when the story breaks.) When it comes, lo and behold, Kim Davis gets to give an exclusive interview to ABC, the same network that employs the reporter who asked the question on the airplane. But to pull this off, I'd need someone with serious clout within the Church bureaucracy. And this is where Vigano comes in.

The man is a real player within the institutional church. He first came to prominence as a whistleblower during one of the several investigations of the Vatican Bank, which may be what got him exiled to this godless Republic in the first place. Despite that fact, Vigano is well-known to be a Ratzinger loyalist and he always has been a cultural conservative, particularly on the issue of marriage equality. In April, in a move that was unprecedented, Vigano got involved with an anti-marriage equality march in Washington sponsored by the National Association For Marriage. (And, mirabile dictu, as we say around Castel Gandolfo at happy hour, one of the speakers at this rally was Mat Staver, who happens now to be Kim Davis's lawyer.) In short, Vigano, a Ratzinger loyalist, who has been conspicuous and publicly involved in the same cause as Kim Davis and her legal team, arranges a meeting with Davis that the legal team uses to its great public advantage.

*snip*

And the Vatican press office acted just the way I'd want it to act, if I were the guy setting this up. First, it issues a silly non-denial denial, and then it merely confirms that the meeting occurred. At which point, the office clams up, leaving the story festering out there in the news cycle, and leaving the pope out there in the American culture war to twist in the wind. And, if this scenario is in any way accurate, it had its desired effect. The impact of what the pope actually said and did in America has been fairly well ratfcked.

Let's not think too highly of the false profit... Political correctness is his guide.

See hope and change

Charles Pierce nailed it: The Vatican confirms Pope Francis was “ratf*cked” into meeting Kim Davis

Esquire's Charles Pierce speculated that Pope Francis had been railroaded by Evangelicals. Turns out he was right

On Thursday, Charles Pierce speculated that the pope was “ratfucked” into meeting Kim Davis, and as conspiratorial as his speculation seemed at first, Vatican spokesman Reverend Federico Lombardi largely confirmed it in a statement released Friday morning.

*snip*

Which, according to the Vatican’s latest statement, is exactly what happened. “The pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis, and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects,” Rev. Lombardi said.

“Pope Francis met with several dozen persons who had been invited by the Nunciature to greet him as he prepared to leave Washington for New York City,” he continued. “Such brief greetings occur on all papal visits and are due to the Pope’s characteristic kindness and availability.”

What a stupid thread. Why do you think the Pope would only want to hear one side of the story?

Even more! Turns out this openly Gay man has been friends with the Pope for 20 years. This meeting took place when Kim Davis' walk-through did.

The Vatican pushback on how faith-based layabout Kim Davis and her lawyers played the pope is getting serious now.

Yayo Grassi, an openly gay man, brought his partner, Iwan Bagus, as well several other friends to the Vatican Embassy on September 23 for a brief visit with the Pope. A video of the meeting shows Grassi and Francis greeting each other with a warm hug.

There's a video. I would point out that Mat Staver, Davis's lawyer, promised us photos on Wednesday. He hasn't shown us even a phony picture of Davis and the pope in Peru yet.

That is why Obama likes the pope so... Political correctness is the guide to their spirituality.

See: Obama had to get his hope and change from somewhere other than Kenya... If know what I mean. Wink wink

Amazing, the delusional shit you people convince yourself of when confronted with the truth. Does anybody actually believe that the Pope would get tricked into meeting such a controversial figure?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Amazing, the delusional shit you people convince yourself of when confronted with the truth. Does anybody actually believe that the Pope would get tricked into meeting such a controversial figure?

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
^^^ Another retard who doesn't read OPs before spouting his bullshit.

He didn't have a "meeting" with her. She was a part of a procession of people invited by Vigano to get a greeting and a handshake. He had no clue who she was, other than an invited guest of the papal nuncia, Vigano.

Was the OP just too damn long for you to bother with? Problems with ADD?

I'm just shocked at how long they can hate one little ole American citizen. who they don't know and she had no bearing on their lives.

scary

I'm just shocked at how long they can hate one little ole American citizen.

If someone is not politically correct... The progressives only response is hate and threats.

See hope and change

...buy the way buy more guns and ammo

Liberals want to claim that the Pope is as mean, cruel and spiteful as they are. They do not understand Christian concepts like mercy and forgiveness.

And oh, they kill millions of babies and Pope is against that too.

Here's a heads up liberals, you are all going to hell.

Liberals want to claim that the Pope is as mean, cruel and spiteful as they are. They do not understand Christian concepts like mercy and forgiveness.

And buy more guns and ammo...

Amen
I'm just shocked at how long they can hate one little ole American citizen.

If someone is not politically correct... The progressives only response is hate and threats.

See hope and change

...buy the way buy more guns and ammo

I for sure need more ammo, thanks for the reminder.

Forum List

Back