Was Jesus a deadbeat?

My main point in this thread was why did the bible leave out so much of Jesus's life?
If it was good or to religions purpose surely the bible would have included it all?

The cannonized Bible leaves out alot about alot of things, simply because it's more of a spiritual book intended to outline Yahshua's teachings rather then his life. There are other accounts outside fo the Bible in the "gnostic gospels", which are much less spiritual and more focus on Yahshua the man. The same can be said about the aprochypha in dealing with the Old Testament. Many books like the Book of Jasher and Book of Enoch are mentioned and referenced in scripture but aren't included.

They often have historical information that was left out of the Biblical account. The Book of Jasher for example records Moses as being an Ethiopian King for 40 years before returning to Egypt to lead the great exodus. Ethiopian and Hebrew legend suggests that this might have actually been an accepted fact amongst ancient Ethiopians. You've got to satudy the scriptures in the context of history to get the full story.

i recommend saramago's "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ"

Actually if you check it out the translation of the word that is in most bibles as carpenter actually translates to handyman.
I got this from a professor at at a seminary.

By tradition, he was a carpenter. Since he did not start his ministry till age 30, that must mean that he had been productive for quite a while.

from the story of Cannae, he was good at weddings. From the story of the sermon on the mount, he was a great caterer, and when his friends had a frustrating night fishing, he found them a better fishing spot, so he must have been a great guide.
He also healed the sick and lame, so He was a handy physician. He was a bank regulator and cleaned up the money changers system in the Temple, so He was a great bureaucrat.

Don't get me wrong now. I am all for real Christinas, those striving to live as Jesus taught them.
Just forget the supreme deity and afterlife stuff.
If you are correct then there will be salvation for you since Jesus is the way. That is what that really means.

Live the way not for the rewards later but for the enhancement of all of our lives in the here and now.

Christians are supposed to live their lives a certain way not because they want a reward, but out of love of God.

And God, out of love for us, rewards us when we do so. We are made to serve God and we are happiest when we lead godly lives.

Don't get me wrong now. I am all for real Christinas, those striving to live as Jesus taught them.
If you are correct then there will be salvation for you since Jesus is the way. That is what that really means.

Live the way not for the rewards later but for the enhancement of all of our lives in the here and now.

Christians are supposed to live their lives a certain way not because they want a reward, but out of love of God.

And God, out of love for us, rewards us when we do so. We are made to serve God and we are happiest when we lead godly lives.

Yes they are supposed to....

why so much preaching about heaven, everlasting life and the burning in hell for eternity thing then?

In reality I live a far more Christlike life than many of those who run and attend the churches.
Pretty weird for an atheist huh?

Last edited:

why so much preaching about heaven, everlasting life and the burning in hell for eternity thing then?

In reality I live a far more Christlike life than many of those who run and attend the churches.
Pretty weird for an atheist huh?[/quote]

That's actually quite a common claim from an atheist, and not that I doubt you, but to whom, or to what do you tithe? Are you part of any sort of community organization that performs acts of charity or makes donations?

I haven't been to church in five years and I am far from the example Christian, but I do recall hearing our pastor speak of studies and surveys that indicated Christians live lives very similar to non-Christians, apart from the above. In that regard, you have a point. (I also remember that comment when I read criticisms that the church should "get with the times.")

If Christ were not who He claimed, though, I doubt I'd find very little in His "teachings" that would strike my ear any differently than the moral pronouncements of a kindly old lady.

Last edited:

Pretty weird for an atheist huh?

Not weird at all. We're all imperfect, and many people who are damned live exemplary lives.

That's actually quite a common claim from an atheist, and not that I doubt you, but to whom, or to what do you tithe? Are you part of any sort of community organization that performs acts of charity or makes donations?

I haven't been to church in five years and I am far from the example Christian, but I do recall hearing our pastor speak of studies and surveys that indicated Christians live lives very similar to non-Christians, apart from the above. In that regard, you have a point. (I also remember that comment when I read criticisms that the church should "get with the times.")

If Christ were not who He claimed, though, I doubt I'd find very little in His "teachings" that would strike my ear any differently than the moral pronouncements of a kindly old lady.

I tithe to no one. Does the bible say that Jesus tithed? I suspect he did, being a jew, but do not recall him speaking on it. Paul now is another matter entirely. I wonder if Christians are not really Paulists?
I bought and gave away a few thousand dollars worth of food the last quarter of last year.

I make a haul of food to the food bank (church run) monthly. At least $200 worth.
I enjoy helping those who need it, not those who want it.

Last edited:

I tithe to no one. Does the bible say that Jesus tithed? I suspect he did, being a jew, but do not recall him speaking on it. Paul now is another matter entirely. I wonder if Christians are not really Paulists?
I bought and gave away a few thousand dollars worth of food the last quarter of last year.

I make a haul of food to the food bank (church run) monthly. At least $200 worth.

That is a point of some controversy, tithing, but I mentioned it only n reply to your comment about church attendance. It is an OT practice as I recall, but one carried over into the NT.

Anyway, good for you. Seriously.

Substance? What substance does the bible provide?
Does one fight something that has no substance with substance?

You've made Claims about Jesus and Christians...

You've Provided NOTHING but Claims.

Who said what?... What Christian said what you Claimed?...

Where in the Bible does Jesus Speak of War as you Claim?

:)

peace...

The Bible nor religion provides nothing but claims.

02-22-2010-pee-weak.jpg

:)

peace...

By tradition, he was a carpenter. Since he did not start his ministry till age 30, that must mean that he had been productive for quite a while.

from the story of Cannae, he was good at weddings. From the story of the sermon on the mount, he was a great caterer, and when his friends had a frustrating night fishing, he found them a better fishing spot, so he must have been a great guide.

3 little words..... "that must mean "

Heck he could have been a pimp for 30 years for all we know.

But he still taught some good ways to live together.

And Moby Dick was a Herring.

A big red herring, to be specific

"I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted
Luke 18:12

The NT does address tithing.

Also healthiest and most productive. Whether or not you think Yahshua was a dead beat, the Bible gave us the principle "if a man does not work he does not eat". He wasn't a roaming hippy, he was in traveling ministry for three years, because he had to be simply because he lived and was raised in Nazareth but it was required for him to be crucified in Jerusalem. He had a three year mission.

The Bible makes it clear that man must work in order to make a living. It's a demand throughout scripture, in matter of fact if you read the creation story in Genesis it's what man was created to do, fortify the Earth.

Another example: the dietary laws even though most christians don't follow them (I do) are the healthiest guidlines for preparation and the partaking of food. Applying the law of God and the word of God to your life and making an effort to follow it daily is a rewarding experience in itself.

Whether or not you think Yahshua was a dead beat, the Bible gave us the principle "if a man does not work he does not eat".

Except Jesus didn't work. Nor did his disciples.

They also shared everything- all property was communal.

☭proletarian☭;2039502 said:
Whether or not you think Yahshua was a dead beat, the Bible gave us the principle "if a man does not work he does not eat".

Fuckin' commie bastards!

Also healthiest and most productive. Whether or not you think Yahshua was a dead beat, the Bible gave us the principle "if a man does not work he does not eat". He wasn't a roaming hippy, he was in traveling ministry for three years, because he had to be simply because he lived and was raised in Nazareth but it was required for him to be crucified in Jerusalem. He had a three year mission.

The Bible makes it clear that man must work in order to make a living. It's a demand throughout scripture, in matter of fact if you read the creation story in Genesis it's what man was created to do, fortify the Earth.

Another example: the dietary laws even though most christians don't follow them (I do) are the healthiest guidlines for preparation and the partaking of food. Applying the law of God and the word of God to your life and making an effort to follow it daily is a rewarding experience in itself.

What of the free lunch of fishes and loaves for those who were too stupit to pack a lunch?

His friends worked, just never heard of Jesus working.

Perhaps this thread should be titled "Was Jesus a moocher?"

Last edited:

His friends worked, just never heard of Jesus working.

I seem to recall hearing something about a carpenter from Nazareth. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back