Warmest March on record

The Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, yet the ice continues to melt.

Why?

It takes a long time to use up the reserves of warmth that got collected within our oceans. I would expect within 5-10 years that we will start having a negative effect on temperatures if the current low output keeps up. Like I said on another post-It was not just the 50-75 year period of the deepest grand minimum, but there was 3 grand minimums within 500-700 years helped to get us that cold. So it takes time.

Nice post.

But the melting of the pole and the release of arctic methane will come long before then.

DailyTech - A Melting Arctic: Happy News for Mankind

The above article is particularly clueless. Below is a sample.

No change in sea level.

Arctic ice, which floats rather than being anchored on bedrock, doesn't influence sea levels at all. Antarctica and Greenland do, but with one on a long-term cooling trend, and the other melting at the infinitesimal pace of 0.25% per century, there doesn't seem to be any call for alarm. Sea level has been rising for thousands of years; the increase over the next century is expected to be less than 1/3 meter.

No change in sea level??? If all the ice in the Arctic Ocean melts, so will much of the ice on land and that WOULD raise sea levels!!!

No change in sea level.

Arctic ice, which floats rather than being anchored on bedrock, doesn't influence sea levels at all. Antarctica and Greenland do, but with one on a long-term cooling trend, and the other melting at the infinitesimal pace of 0.25% per century, there doesn't seem to be any call for alarm. Sea level has been rising for thousands of years; the increase over the next century is expected to be less than 1/3 meter.

No change in sea level??? If all the ice in the Arctic Ocean melts, so will much of the ice on land and that WOULD raise sea levels!!!
Well, the blog actually did get it right. Nothing clueless about that.

So you are now chicken-littling about land ice that hasn't yet changed sea levels.

Hmmmm... so I guess you think that it never snows? New ice does'nt form on top of the old ice????? It only snowed there once in the history of the world???? Oh and ocean water does'nt evaporate either. Guess it has too much salt?????
:cuckoo:

I live on the coast..... the sea level hasnt changed in my lifetime, and I dont expect it to change in my kids lifetime.

Get a clue :rolleyes:
Im surprised you can tie your own shoes... errrr, I assume you can, right?

Oh crap!!!! I just thought of something.

Are'nt The Rocky Mt's eroding? Oh my God!!!!! They are going to be gone soon!!!!! Where is all that ice on the mountaintops going to go??????
We're DOOOOOOOOMMMMMED....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard on the local news last night that April & May combined are the coldest on record for the Bay Area.

We could use some global warming right about now.

The Secret of Sea Level Rise: It Will Vary Greatly By Region by Michael D. Lemonick: Yale Environment 360

The Secret of Sea Level Rise:
It Will Vary Greatly by Region
As the world warms, sea levels could easily rise three to six feet this century. But increases will vary widely by region, with prevailing winds, powerful ocean currents, and even the gravitational pull of the polar ice sheets determining whether some coastal areas will be inundated while others stay dry.
by michael d. lemonick

Didn't Samuel Clemons claim the coldest winter he ever experianced was a summer in San Francisco?
It was.

Wow. Got a bit of weather related info right. Then again, he was around as a newspaper man through two of the worst winters this nation ever faced in 1864 and 1865 while we were both fighting the Civil War AND building the transcontinental railroad. Read some of the weather tales of what went on during the work on the Central Pacific as it assaulted the Sierra Nevada.

No change in sea level.

Well, the blog actually did get it right. Nothing clueless about that.

So you are now chicken-littling about land ice that hasn't yet changed sea levels.

Damn, do you have to continually engage in lying?:lol:

You know full well they have been measuring an increase in sea level for the last 100 years. And that the present rate is triple the average of the last century.

You neg rep me every time I call you out on your lies, yet you continue to lie:lol:Do you think that I care? I will continue to call you out on your lies.

Humans Behind Rising Seas, Study Says | LiveScience

Humans Behind Rising Seas, Study Says
By Stéphan Reebs, Natural History Magazine

posted: 28 February 2010 02:20 pm ET

Since 1900, global sea levels have crept upward about seven inches. Rising temperatures are melting glaciers and ice sheets, as well as warming the oceans directly, which causes them to expand. Various researchers have attributed only a portion of the rise in water level to carbon dioxide (CO2)released by human actions—and blamed the rest on natural factors such as solar activity. The latest study goes much further, faulting people for more than three-quarters of the sea-level change during the past century.

Records of tide height have been kept for centuries at several seaports (Amsterdam since 1700, Liverpool since 1768, Stockholm since 1774, and many other places since 1850). Such long records have enabled Svetlana Jevrejeva, of the British government’s Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory in Liverpool, and two colleagues to statistically model the influence of various factors on sea level during the past three centuries, and to extrapolate the findings over the past millennium.

The team found that up until about 1800, sea levels actually fell owing to volcanic eruptions that periodically injected ash into the atmosphere, veiling the Sun and cooling the Earth. But as the waters rose after 1850, the biggest contributing factor was increasing atmospheric CO2.

Significantly, Jevrejeva’s team calculated that without the ongoing, mitigating effects of volcanic activity since 1880, sea levels would now be about three inches higher than they are.

This research was published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Since 1900, global sea levels have crept upward about seven inches.

Seven inches in 110 years?!?!?! Oh GAWD! We're all gonna DIEEEEEE!!!!! OHGAWDOHGAWDOHGAWD!!!! SAVE ME! SAVE ME! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE SAVE ME!? Only what 75 years away from making this an even foot??

THIS is the kinda stuff that puts the whole need for global fascism right in the shit pile. It's not a threat to anyone. Even if it was our fault.

Didn't Samuel Clemons claim the coldest winter he ever experianced was a summer in San Francisco?
It was.

Wow. Got a bit of weather related info right. Then again, he was around as a newspaper man through two of the worst winters this nation ever faced in 1864 and 1865 while we were both fighting the Civil War AND building the transcontinental railroad. Read some of the weather tales of what went on during the work on the Central Pacific as it assaulted the Sierra Nevada.

Our coldest winters were Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death, 1816, and 1886. Both were the results of volcanic eruptions. Tambora and Krakatoa.

I really don't have to read about those endevours. I understand them from working on an engineering core drill at -30. As an aside, I have always admired the vision of Lincoln for starting both the transcontinental railroad, and passing the homesteading laws which settled the West.

Seven inches in 110 years?!?!?! Oh GAWD! We're all gonna DIEEEEEE!!!!! OHGAWDOHGAWDOHGAWD!!!! SAVE ME! SAVE ME! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE SAVE ME!? Only what 75 years away from making this an even foot??

THIS is the kinda stuff that puts the whole need for global fascism right in the shit pile. It's not a threat to anyone. Even if it was our fault.

Wow a whole seven inches in 110 years you say? Well lets see if we can put this into some perspective....the ENTIRE area of the Great Lakes is rising through isostatic rebound at the rate of 1 inch per year. The Himalaya are rising at 1-2 inches per year do to continental collision, the Rincon section of the California coast between Carpinteria and Ventura is rising at 7 inches per year due to the Red Mountain Thrust Fault and finally the volcano rebuilding the Krakatoa caldera (Anak Krakatoa) is rising at 5 inches per WEEK. So 7 inches in 110 years is NOTHING!

Why you may ask? Because if you can do math you will see the land is rising faster than the water in many areas of the world.

I have always admired the vision of Lincoln for starting both the transcontinental railroad, and passing the homesteading laws which settled the West.

In this we also agree.

Well, yes, it is a minor annoyance, affecting aquifers in Florida. However, now that the rate of the last century is tripled, the least we can expect is 21" for this century.

However, the rate of rise is also increasing. So that figure will be far too low. In fact, given the increasing instability of the Antarctic Ice Shelves, that figure might be closer were it in feet instead of inchs. Even in inchs, it will create major problems for low lying nations and port cities.

Well lets see if we can put this into some perspective....the ENTIRE area of the Great Lakes is rising through isostatic rebound at the rate of 1 inch per year.

It's raising 1 inch a year? Oh good. It has dropped almost 15 FEET on Lake Michigan since 1990. I'm sure lakehome owners will be happy to lose the crappy zebra muscle encrusted rock beaches and get back to having sand beaches only and smelt die offs closer to home.

And now for the bonus question:

Since it cannot be proven at this time (all climategate associated science must be withdrawn till verified) that mankind has any involvement with climate change is in doubt. So, if these terrible things ARE happening, and mankind has no influence on it, what do you propose we do about it?

Last edited:
I have always admired the vision of Lincoln for starting both the transcontinental railroad, and passing the homesteading laws which settled the West.

In this we also agree.

Interesting. There was probably the max of chicanery and graft in the building of that railroad, yet Lincoln, and then Johnson, did not fight it that much, as long as the line was advancing. A matter of taking advantage of human nature in order to get a job done, no matter how much they disliked that aspect of human nature.

In this we also agree.

Interesting. There was probably the max of chicanery and graft in the building of that railroad, yet Lincoln, and then Johnson, did not fight it that much, as long as the line was advancing. A matter of taking advantage of human nature in order to get a job done, no matter how much they disliked that aspect of human nature.
no no... definitely not a fan of the chicanery and graft created by the big four and Credit Mobilier. The accomplishment and the vision that Lincoln had from the day he sat in Council Bluffs, Iowa with Ted Judah looking west and getting it. Not to mention Lincoln worked for the railroads as a lawyer and was instrumental in that part of his career getting river bridge ordinances passed with a compromise between the steamboat companies and the railroads. Effectively ended steamboating on the rivers over time, but created something far better.

Forum List

Back