War profiteers? Gm gets 60 billion, halliburton gets 12

Easy, the companies don't have to do anything, they don't care about putting in soldiers in harms way.

With everything in government, follow the money. TARP happened because big banks have spent years buying off our bureacrats, you think they don't have a reason for that? Big oil does the best job buying off our bureacrats, hence why we essentially pattern our entire foreign policy off of what they want (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc). There's a reason big drug companies and big health insurance companies were quiet during the Obamacare debates, because they know this will make them more money.

Easy, the companies don't have to do anything, they don't care about putting in soldiers in harms way.

With everything in government, follow the money. TARP happened because big banks have spent years buying off our bureacrats, you think they don't have a reason for that? Big oil does the best job buying off our bureacrats, hence why we essentially pattern our entire foreign policy off of what they want (Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc). There's a reason big drug companies and big health insurance companies were quiet during the Obamacare debates, because they know this will make them more money.

My point is simple
how one feels about Halliburton and GWB is there right
But to carry the hate that many of those on the left do with that event and to ignore the obvious here makes no sense

War profiteers? Gm gets 60 billion, halliburton gets 12

They don't call it Government Motors for nothing, eh?

government-motors.jpg

Add up the money the GSE's Fannie & Freddie got from each of those programs & it's about $1.2 Trillion. The States got the next largest chunk for their fucking government employee pay & pension funds $358 Billion. Then the federal government got $295.3 Billion to keep their fat ass pensions & pay checks coming.

The banks & stimulus were a small portion of this. This was a bailout of socialized home lending & government employees. The citizens got screwed.

My point is simple
how one feels about Halliburton and GWB is there right
But to carry the hate that many of those on the left do with that event and to ignore the obvious here makes no sense

I don't really give a damn about the terms "left" and "right" as both parties do the same liberal bullshit that I don't like.

Both parties have been bought off for a looooooooong time, reps and dems equally. They work for the companies who line their pockets, next in line is their party, next in line is lobbies, next in line are the UN/our allies/etc, and then maybe they'll do something every now and then that makes it seem like they give a shit about the people of the US.

If big oil, big banks, big drug/insurance industries tell our government to do something, they'll do it. Both reps and dems.

Doc said it all. Our congress is for sale and the bidding is not over. This is not a right or left argument, it is a fact that we, the voters, are losing. change who you vote for it can make a difference.

Follow the money: Bailout tracker - CNNMoney.com

I keep reading in these threads about "war profiteering'
and this is why we went to Iraq
Hell why would any-one put there selves in harms way with Obama handing out billions for nothing?

GM is paying back their loan. How much is Haliburton paying back, again?

Why am I being taxed in order to give government the ability to give out loans to certain companies it favors?

Answer my question, and then we can move onto yours.

Why am I being taxed in order to give government the ability to give out loans to certain companies it favors?

You didn't ask me the question but I'll answer it, none.

Read my 1st couple posts, I'm against government doing favors for certain companies in all instances, that's facism. Well I guess I should word it as, THIS is facism.

In January 2011 Defense Secretary Robert Gates expressed the Pentagon's frustration with the skyrocketing costs of the F-35 program when he said "The culture of endless money that has taken hold must be replaced by a culture of restraint." Focusing his attention on the troubled VTOL F-35B Gates ordered "a two-year probation", saying it "should be canceled" if corrections are unsuccessful.[53] However, Gates has stated his support for the program.[54] Some private analysts, such as Richard Aboulafia, of the Teal Group state that the whole F-35 program is becoming a money pit.[53

On 21 April 2009, media reports, citing Pentagon sources, said that during 2007 and 2008, computer spies had managed to copy and siphon off several terabytes of data related to the F-35's design and electronics systems, potentially enabling the development of defense systems against the aircraft.[33] However, Lockheed Martin has rejected suggestions that the project has been compromised, saying that it "does not believe any classified information had been stolen".

The United States intends to buy a total of 2,443 aircraft for an estimated US$323 billion, making it the most expensive defense program ever
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People debate on War profiteers, GM etc, I just thought I might add to this thread another issue that might help to tie this together. While a strong supporter of Defense, when its been turned into a playground and private ATM machine for the contractors much to chagrin of the WArfighters who need it then bailing out these companies and giving them even more money does not surprise me as this model has been the norm for DoD for the last 20 years or so. I hear many talk of reforming spending, and they have my support however, if you do no reform the method by which it's spent then you short change the people its intnded for, in this case the US Military .

GM?
what about the UAW
and as far as GM goes, there chapter 7 without the 50-60 billion
How can you justify that with "there paying us back"
Again the UAW owns 18% of GM
where does that come from?
and here is your answer to "paying us back"
GM repaid its government loan with other government money, or that U.S. taxpayers could lose money on the roughly $50 billion they still have invested in General Motors.

In a letter to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner last week, Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said the repayment "appears to be nothing more than an elaborate TARP money shuffle."

Treasury spokeswoman Meg Reilly says Geithner hopes to respond to Grassley's letter, perhaps by today. General Motors did not respond to calls for comment.

How did taxpayers get into this situation?

Before and during its bankruptcy, the U.S. Treasury loaned General Motors $49.5 billion from the Troubled Assets Relief Program.

When GM emerged from bankruptcy as a new company in July, the Treasury converted most of those loans into a 60.8 percent stake in the new company's common stock, $2.1 billion in preferred stock and $7.1 billion in loans. About $400 million in loans was repaid almost immediately, leaving GM with about $6.7 billion in government debt. The balance of the loan was originally due July 2015, but the date was later accelerated to June 30, 2010.

GM had already repaid $2 billion in loans. Last week, it announced it had repaid the remaining $4.7 billion.

The automaker, however, didn't repay any of the loans from its earnings. Repayments came from "other TARP funds currently held in an escrow account," according to a report by the special inspector general overseeing TARP funds.

GM?
what about the UAW
GM repaid its government loan with other government money, or that U.S. taxpayers could lose money on the roughly $50 billion they still have invested in General Motors.

In a letter to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner last week, Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said the repayment "appears to be nothing more than an elaborate TARP money shuffle."

Treasury spokeswoman Meg Reilly says Geithner hopes to respond to Grassley's letter, perhaps by today. General Motors did not respond to calls for comment.

Before and during its bankruptcy, the U.S. Treasury loaned General Motors $49.5 billion from the Troubled Assets Relief Program.

When GM emerged from bankruptcy as a new company in July, the Treasury converted most of those loans into a 60.8 percent stake in the new company's common stock, $2.1 billion in preferred stock and $7.1 billion in loans. About $400 million in loans was repaid almost immediately, leaving GM with about $6.7 billion in government debt. The balance of the loan was originally due July 2015, but the date was later accelerated to June 30, 2010.

GM had already repaid $2 billion in loans. Last week, it announced it had repaid the remaining $4.7 billion.

The automaker, however, didn't repay any of the loans from its earnings. Repayments came from "other TARP funds currently held in an escrow account," according to a report by the special inspector general overseeing TARP funds.

This is good info. Thanks. Now, again, how much is Haliburton paying back?

GM?
what about the UAW

This is good info. Thanks. Now, again, how much is Haliburton paying back?

Typically in a business venture in which you provide a service for someone you get paid for it
Being as though Halliburton has provided this service long before Bush was president and, well now they did provide this service in the first Iraq
Simply put they got paid for what they do
There was no loan or 'bail out"
they where not chapter 7
the Govt came to them as Clinton had and others had in the past
Your asking a question that as a good liberal does only creates an event that never took place

GM?
what about the UAW

Thats what I read also. GM made out like a bandit while the bondholders and shareholders, who had money, life savings, pensions invested, got hosed.

GE used a tax loophole, which needs to be plugged, for its 60 Billion in earnings.

Your right about Halliburton. They provided a servce like countless other contractors and got payed. No bail out there.

Last edited:
So-called "Green" deals between this White House and GE will dwarf both combined. GE and this White House are very cozy. And that's no coincidence. I mean this President even put the top GE Exec in as another Czar. Corrupt cronyism at its worst. Where are all the screeching Lefty Wingers with their "Evil Corporation" rhetoric on that? Must be a weird Hopey Changey thing i guess.

So-called "Green" deals between this White House and GE will dwarf both combined. GE and this White House are very cozy. And that's no coincidence. I mean this President even put the top GE Exec in as another Czar. Corrupt cronyism at its worst. Where are all the screeching Lefty Wingers with their "Evil Corporation" rhetoric on that? Must be a weird Hopey Changey thing i guess.

LOL Dont' hold your breath for that to happen Lib.

Forum List

Back