Want to Keep Pot Illegal? Time to Justify...

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by KevinWestern, Mar 15, 2013.

1. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    It's time the prohibitionists justify why marijuana should remain illegal.

Why is it on them? It's on them because prohibition means some very negative and real consequences that we as a society have to all deal with, namely:

1.) Policing marijuana costs us billions in taxpayer dollars every year (ie police work, courts, prison overhead, feeding prisoners, ect). This money comes out of my paycheck.
    2.) Policing marijuana drains on vital resources (cops could be stopping murders, violent crimes, courts could be freed up).
    3.) Marijuana prohibition puts millions of non violent people who pose no threat to anyone behind bars every year. This breaks up families, ruins career opportunities.
    4.) Marijuana prohibition gives power to the drug cartels and their violent activities. If pot were legal, much of their revenue stream (to buy guns, ect) would be cut.
    5.) Marijuana prohibition means that all the money that could be made from private legal enterprise in the US instead remain mostly in Mexico in the hands of criminals (tax free).

Now, I'm open for a discussion (of course), but I think it needs to start with providing the benefits of Marijuana prohibition (specifically), and how those benefits outweigh all of those combined.

These things are currently impacting us each and every day, so I think it's a very important discussion.

If the US was a company, is prohibition worth the cost? I say NO WAY.

Thanks everyone...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. Dugdale_Jukes

Dugdale_Jukes Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    n light of those consequences, what are the benefits that we receive as a society for pot prohibition... ?

We get to read about zipperheaded pigs behaving like Gestapo.

We get to see news splibs of ZILLIONS of dollars worth of dope seized in basements.

We get to see potgutted food and alcohol addicts claim pot is addictive.

We get to see govamet "experts" claim there is no medicinal value to pot.

We get to see the fear of independent thought in legislators' eyes.

Basically keeping a God given herb illegal lets us see the worst elements of human scum.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    Do the costs of drug use outweigh the benefit of legalization?

Look at it this way, the societal costs of alcoholism far, far outweigh the benefits of alcohol consumption. Should we make it better or worse?

The problem is not whether pot should be legal or not. The problem is that so many people have a need to get through the day high.

4. Dugdale_Jukes

Dugdale_Jukes Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    If people are otherwise law abiding, what LEGITIMATE business is it of anyone's if other folks want to be high?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Katz, I listed five huge negative consequences to pot prohibition, that IS a problem if those costs are not giving us any (at least equal) value in return.

I don't know about you, but I'd like to see the drug cartel's revenue stream cut in half. I'd like to see an end to all this violence. Is prohibition worth the costs?

6. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Moot question.

Obviously we are now on a track to legalize pot nationally, with it being decriminalized and legalized in several states now, via the "thin entering wedge" of "medical marijuana."

So just wait it out. It's happening now and soon there will be a tipping point. Most states will legalize it and a few will stay "dry" for a couple decades like after Prohibition. Then they'll fold, too.

Same as with no-fault divorce, abortion, etc. No, no, no, no, maybe, a few, then suddenly yes, yes, yes. That's how it works.

7. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
  8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    As long as they aren't driving, working, in school, or taking care of children, nothing. Pot smokers should be allowed to get high and rejecting them should be part of a personal exercise of freedom.

9. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,417
    For one Pot is not addictive in the sense that alcohol is. No one ever died from marijuana withdrawals.

And just as in alcohol there can be prohibitions about driving high, working high etc.

There will have to be a test developed though that can tell if pot was used within a certain time frame. After all If a guy smoked a joint on Saturday it would be unjust to cite him for driving under the influence on Monday.

And people have been altering their consciousness for as long as people have existed so I don't see a problem with people getting a buzz.

10. earlycuyler

earlycuyler Extra long Bad Ass Cut.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    Not in money, and not in lives lost. Pot is the bread and butter of the Mexican drug cartels. Legalizing it would put a serious dent in their pocket books for a long time.