Wal-Mart Relies On Taxpayers To Subsidize Low Wages Read more: http://www.businessin

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Wal-Mart Relies On Taxpayers To Subsidize Low Wages

.....Wal-Mart’s wages are so low that many of its workers must rely on food stamps and other government aid programs, costing taxpayers as much as $900,0000 at just one Wal-Mart Supercenter in Wisconsin

Wal-Mart has long been criticized for its pattern of offering wages that force its workers to take advantage of public-assistance programs. This recent study argues that the criticism is warranted. The company had more workers enrolled in the state’s public health care program in last year’s last quarter than any other employer.

Nevertheless, Wal-Mart stands by its current wage levels and the “opportunities it provides for its workers.”

Wal-Mart Relies On Taxpayers To Subsidize Low Wages - Business Insider

.....Wal-Mart’s wages are so low that many of its workers must rely on food stamps and other government aid programs, costing taxpayers as much as $900,0000 at just one Wal-Mart Supercenter in Wisconsin

Wal-Mart has long been criticized for its pattern of offering wages that force its workers to take advantage of public-assistance programs. This recent study argues that the criticism is warranted. The company had more workers enrolled in the state’s public health care program in last year’s last quarter than any other employer.

Nevertheless, Wal-Mart stands by its current wage levels and the “opportunities it provides for its workers.”

Ya, it's Walmart's fault they are on welfare.:cuckoo:

Idjit lolberals make the qualification threshold for food stamps 165% of the poverty level, then bitch when people (most of whom don't work at Wally World) take advantage of the program.

Does the nincompoopery ever end? :lmao:

So it is your contention that if assistance were cut off to these employees, the employers would pay a living wage?

Wal Mart pays a living wage now... My lesbian sister-in-law and her GF (as we don't allow them to marry in the GREAT state of Oklahoma, both work at Wal Mart (since they are libs and lack the brains to get good jobs) --- they have two cars (one of which they bought new just 2 years ago), a house, live on 5 acres - even have horses. They invest in Wal Mart stock and will have money to retire on.

They even could both take care of their children on their wages (I guess they didn't use to be lesbians --- go figure) --- until the father sued to get custody of one child - and the Grandparents sued for custody of the other child. They even had enough money to hire lawyers - not that any judge should (or did) grant custody to those wackos...

Idjit lolberals make the qualification threshold for food stamps 165% of the poverty level, then bitch when people (most of whom don't work at Wally World) take advantage of the program.

So it is your contention that if assistance were cut off to these employees, the employers would pay a living wage?
My contention is that Wally World employees are but a small fraction of the total of people who are earning at the lower end of the wage scale, who also qualify for and/or do take food stamps.

But we have a leftist union toady hack jihad against Wally World, so the meme of the pooooooor enslaved employees in the little blue vests must be maintained at all times, no matter how the facts need to be contorted to fit the template.

I remember reading an article in The Atlantic Monthly the mid-90s called "The Walmarting of America" that accurately predicted Walmart's effect on wages for the working class.
The attached chart reflects the working class's share of the National Income. I would guess a large portion of posters here fall in the category of working class and so will their children. If I was part of the working class, I'd be very concerned about not only my future but also the future of my children.
Behold, the Walmarting of America"!

Attachments

• $shrinkingworkers.jpg
    $shrinkingworkers.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 122
I hate WalMart for many, many...MANY reasons.
But low wage pay to employees is not one of them. There are many other reasons to dislike WalMart that are legit. If you want to give WalMart a hard time over wages, then you have to also give 1,000's of restaurants, grocery stores etc. the same critical voice.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article in The Atlantic Monthly the mid-90s called "The Walmarting of America" that accurately predicted Walmart's effect on wages for the working class.
The attached chart reflects the working class's share of the National Income. I would guess a large portion of posters here fall in the category of working class and so will their children. If I was part of the working class, I'd be very concerned about not only my future but also the future of my children.
Correlation ≠ causation.

Yeah, it's all Walmart's fault. Didn't have anything to do with the housing bubble or anything like that.:cuckoo:

I hate WalMart for many, many...MANY reasons.
But low wage pay to employees is not one of them. There are many other reasons to dislike WalMart that are legit. If you want to give WalMart a hard time over wages, then you have to also give 1,000's of restaurants, grocery stores etc. the same critical voice.

The unions have a war going with Walmart. It's the only reason I shop there at all.

Walmart's starting salary pay is over the minimum wage.
Their pay is pretty good compared to some others who just pay the minimum wage of 7.25 an hour.
The average is 7.41 to 10.51
Ovetime pay is 16.34
Sales - 7.59 -11.21
Retail - 7.79 - 12.46
Pharmacy Tech - 8.41 -14.15

Job Employee Benefits are also good.
They pay military workers full time while they are on active duty.
Walmart Employee Benefits

Maybe some of their part time workers needs food stamps, but it seems to be a misrepresentation of all of their full time workers.

Low Wage Big Box store jobs with Government subsidies is the new economic model ushered in by "Free Trade Agreements".

Get used to it.

Ya, it's Walmart's fault they are on welfare.:cuckoo:

The left doesn't have a clue of supply and demand. These people some how think a business can pay super high wages at a drop of a dime for "productivity" that is worth about what they're getting. Truth is they need to be profitable in some way to even consider such.

They could of course raise the price sky high on the consumer. The poor rely on Wal-Mart quite a bit. You people don't care about the poor it would seem. At least the right is honest when they say they want to throw granny onto the street.

Last edited:

Labour Share is not the same as Real Compensation. While the compensation of employees in the business sector may be getting smaller and smaller relative to GDP (Which is getting larger), real incomes are still increasing.

fredgraph.png

My contention is that Wally World employees are but a small fraction of the total of people who are earning at the lower end of the wage scale, who also qualify for and/or do take food stamps.

your link/source didn't post-through :eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back