Wake's Place

Out of curiosity, are there any tea drinkers here? I've grown fond of roasted dandelion root tea.

pGNC1-5196831dt.jpg

Supposedly it's good for getting rid of toxins and fats from the body. There's this thing called a fatty liver, and I think I've had one for awhile because of a not-so-healthy diet. But, after drinking this tea my body felt a bit healthier, and am currently trying to incorporate celery into my diet. It's hell, but worth it in the long run.

rooibos.jpg

Rooibos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nutritional and health benefits[edit]

Rooibos is becoming more popular in Western countries, particularly among health-conscious consumers, due to its high level of antioxidants such as aspalathin[2] and nothofagin, its lack of caffeine, and its low tannin levels compared to fully oxidized black tea or unoxidized green tea leaves.[3] Rooibos also contains a number of phenolic compounds, including flavanols, flavones, flavanones, and dihydrochalcones.[4]

Rooibos is purported to assist with nervous tension, allergies and digestive problems.[5] Rooibos tea has been shown to inhibit in vitro activity of xanthine oxidase, but an in vivo study has not been conducted. Xanthine oxidase (XO) plays a role in conversion of purine to uric acid in humans and reducing the activity of XO could limit uric acid production, which would aid in treatment of gout. In in vitro tests only, for the specific concentration tested, the infusion was shown to be less than half as effective as allopurinol, which is the drug typically prescribed to inhibit XO activity in treating gout.[6]

Two flavonoids found in rooibos, quercetin and luteolin, have been known to have cancer fighting qualities.[7] Rooibos does not contain the antioxidant Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) found in green tea.[8]

Traditional medicinal uses of rooibos in South Africa include alleviating infantile colic, allergies, asthma and dermatological problems.[9]

Scientific experiment[edit]

Human studies of rooibos are scarce in scientific literature.[10] Animal studies show that rooibos has potent antioxidant, immune-modulating and chemopreventive effects. A review found no documentation of adverse side effects of consuming rooibos tea.[10]

Someone was evil and posted pics of bacon. I had 3 slices with my breakfast and it still was not enough. But I refrained. :(

The word "Wake" makes me think of an Irish wake. You know. Dead folk(s); and live folks drinking booze to mark the passage of the dead one(s).

It is both sad and eerily festive.

It's either that or the state we achieve after sleeping.

Nice place.

Now, speaking of booze . . . .

Ahh...Saturday night...
Just put in a homemade pizza in the oven.
Chorizo/tomato/onion/spinach/mushroom...homemade sauce of course (the secret is honey)
Later I think I will take the wife to get some ice cream.
Ohh,...a Bob Marley song just came on Spectrum...gotta turn that up...

Yum.

We made bread and used some of the dough for pizza. We make the best pizza on the planet.

There's a small pizza chain in Tucson called Magpies. They get voted #1 every single year for a good reason. One day, while munching away, I asked the chef what his secret was. Much to my surprise, he told me. It changed the way I make pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, soup ... just about everything.

Its good stuff, Maynard.

Out of curiosity, are there any tea drinkers here? I've grown fond of roasted dandelion root tea.

pGNC1-5196831dt.jpg

Supposedly it's good for getting rid of toxins and fats from the body. There's this thing called a fatty liver, and I think I've had one for awhile because of a not-so-healthy diet. But, after drinking this tea my body felt a bit healthier, and am currently trying to incorporate celery into my diet. It's hell, but worth it in the long run.

rooibos.jpg

Rooibos is becoming more popular in Western countries, particularly among health-conscious consumers, due to its high level of antioxidants such as aspalathin[2] and nothofagin, its lack of caffeine, and its low tannin levels compared to fully oxidized black tea or unoxidized green tea leaves.[3] Rooibos also contains a number of phenolic compounds, including flavanols, flavones, flavanones, and dihydrochalcones.[4]

Rooibos is purported to assist with nervous tension, allergies and digestive problems.[5] Rooibos tea has been shown to inhibit in vitro activity of xanthine oxidase, but an in vivo study has not been conducted. Xanthine oxidase (XO) plays a role in conversion of purine to uric acid in humans and reducing the activity of XO could limit uric acid production, which would aid in treatment of gout. In in vitro tests only, for the specific concentration tested, the infusion was shown to be less than half as effective as allopurinol, which is the drug typically prescribed to inhibit XO activity in treating gout.[6]

Two flavonoids found in rooibos, quercetin and luteolin, have been known to have cancer fighting qualities.[7] Rooibos does not contain the antioxidant Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) found in green tea.[8]

Traditional medicinal uses of rooibos in South Africa include alleviating infantile colic, allergies, asthma and dermatological problems.[9]

Human studies of rooibos are scarce in scientific literature.[10] Animal studies show that rooibos has potent antioxidant, immune-modulating and chemopreventive effects. A review found no documentation of adverse side effects of consuming rooibos tea.[10]

Interesting. I think I'll check Amazon for this. Thanks.

I also meant to mention that I put a green tea bag in with whatever kind of tea I'm drinking.

pGNC1-5196831dt.jpg

rooibos.jpg

Interesting. I think I'll check Amazon for this. Thanks.

I also meant to mention that I put a green tea bag in with whatever kind of tea I'm drinking.

Cheapest price on the interwebs (and where I get mine.)

Freshpak Rooibos Tea Bags (Pack of 40) 100g (BEST BY DECEMBER, 2014) - African Hut - South African Food Store

Freshpak Rooibos Tea Bags (Pack of 80) 200g (-) - African Hut - South African Food Store

I only drink decaf green tea. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in it to clean out the pipes. And I only drink hot tea.

If you are concerned about your liver, buy some milk thistle whereever you get vitamins.

It is a painless liver cleanse . Works on all the toxins from the poisons in my medicines.

Your liver enzymes will thank you.

Regards from Rosie

Good afternoon everyone. It's a pleasure to be here.

I love people, and talking with them about anything. You know, life would suck if we didn't have people to go through it with us. In the grand scheme of things, our time on this planet is so unbelievably brief. The resounding wisdom from the old folk I care for is that it's better to live life to the fullest, and have no regrets. That said, I think it's time I follow their advice and put down some roots. I think I'm gonna like it here. Nothing fancy—just my own place. :D:smiliehug:

Please feel free to stop on by and talk with this simple man.

Bunker%20Cerco%20Gris%20Setting.jpg

Thanks for the invite, Wake! I love your place! Very contemporary! I love contemporary that shows off a cool & simple design like the fire pit and flue - the industrial look definitely gives it that man cave effect! You get an A for great taste. :eusa_angel:

- Jeremiah

Last edited:

Forum List

Back