Voyager 1 officialy exits the Solar System

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Out there: NASA says its Voyager 1 probe has become first spacecraft to leave the solar system

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, September 12, 2:40 PM

LOS ANGELES — Voyager 1 has crossed a new frontier, becoming the first spacecraft ever to leave the solar system, NASA said Thursday.
Thirty-six years after it was launched from Earth on a tour of the outer planets, the plutonium-powered probe is more than 11 1/2 billion miles from the sun, cruising through interstellar space — the vast, cold emptiness between the stars, the space agency said.

Voyager 1 actually made its exit more than a year ago, according to NASA. But it’s not as if there’s a dotted boundary line or a signpost out there, and it was not until recently that scientists with the space agency had enough evidence to say that the probe had finally plowed through the hot plasma bubble surrounding the planets and escaped the sun’s influence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a9b094-1bd4-11e3-80ac-96205cacb45a_story.html

This is such a fascinating thing. 36 years after launch. Total and pure wow.

Thanks for posting it

How cool is that!

NASA confirms Voyager 1 probe has left the solar system - CNN.com

"In leaving the heliosphere and setting sail on the cosmic seas between the stars, Voyager has joined other historic journeys of exploration: The first circumnavigation of the Earth, the first steps on the Moon," said Ed Stone, chief scientist on the Voyager mission. "That's the kind of event this is, as we leave behind our solar bubble."

The twin spacecraft Voyager 1 and 2 were launched in 1977, 16 days apart. As of Thursday, according to NASA's real-time odometer, Voyager 1 is 18.8 billion kilometers (11.7 billion miles) from Earth. Its sibling, Voyager 2, is 15.3 billion (9.5 billion) kilometers from our planet.

It is traveling at 38,000 miles an hour.

Today's iPhone has 240 times more memory than Voyager I.

The probe will fly near a star in about 40,000 years. I can't wait, literally :lol:

This is such a fascinating thing. 36 years after launch. Total and pure wow.

Thanks for posting it

I love this...
Nasa is the best.

I just hope that what happened in the First Star Trek movie doesn't come to pass...
Voyager merges with an intelligent alien presence and then ends up in Earth's orbit
looking for the creator and gives us 24 hrs to have VGERS creator respond to it's
question....

What actually happened at Benghazi?.....

Last edited:
Cool, and a bit sad.

Bye bye Voyager!

Should be interesting as it progresses, I wonder what we will learn, discover. :cool:

we'll discover bald chicks are not hot...

Illia.jpg

in all seriousness, I posted a thread a few months back as to what they thought was the 'real' escapeof Voyager from the solar system, as they had not calculated correctly, the suns distant 'aura', magnetically etc. went further out than originally thought...so now, we have the real escape.....good luck Voyager....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJkMV1sm8Mk]Vaya Con Dios - (1952 cover) - Les Paul and Mary Ford - YouTube[/ame]

Amazing. Man is capable of great achievements. Too bad we can't all work together instead of killing each other.

Out there: NASA says its Voyager 1 probe has become first spacecraft to leave the solar system

LOS ANGELES — Voyager 1 has crossed a new frontier, becoming the first spacecraft ever to leave the solar system, NASA said Thursday.
Thirty-six years after it was launched from Earth on a tour of the outer planets, the plutonium-powered probe is more than 11 1/2 billion miles from the sun, cruising through interstellar space — the vast, cold emptiness between the stars, the space agency said.

Voyager 1 actually made its exit more than a year ago, according to NASA. But it’s not as if there’s a dotted boundary line or a signpost out there, and it was not until recently that scientists with the space agency had enough evidence to say that the probe had finally plowed through the hot plasma bubble surrounding the planets and escaped the sun’s influence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a9b094-1bd4-11e3-80ac-96205cacb45a_story.html

5 years later I wonder where she is and what she’s doing. Is she cold? Bored? Sick of the mix tape she took with her?

It will take her more than 80,000 years to make it to her destination.

Think about five years. That’s a long to us. Well let’s say instead of traveling interstellarly we sent voyager to Pluto. It would take voyager 248 years to orbit the sun. That’s how big our solar system is. And that’s how far the next star is. 80,000 years or more.

Still I’m so glad we have something out there but I also hope we catch it and pass it some day

Voyager has left the Heliopause which is the boundary where outward pressure from the stream of charged particles (the solar wind) coming off the Sun meet the interstellar medium to the point where the pressure drops to zero. But Voyager 1 is still going through a series of magnetic bubbles that surround the Sun and beyond that may be a thing called the Oort Cloud where comets come from, though we cannot see that far to be sure of anything.. Voyager 1's trip was cut short after Saturn in November, 1980 and never made it to any other planets because at the last minute they decided to change course to take a look at Saturn's moon Titan. That turned out to be a lost cause (Titan is covered with an orange hydrocarbon smog) so they saw nothing, and that sent Voyager 1 out of the solar system from there.

But in a few months, you can take a look at it! Unlike Voyager 2 which is far into the Southern Hemisphere in the constellation Pavo where you need to be in the deep southern hemisphere to see, you CAN look at Voyager 1! It is in the late Spring sky right near the head of Hercules (he's upside down), right where the red line ends. This is not hard to find at all if you know the sky a little or consult a sky atlas. Just look for the two bright stars, Arcturus in Bootes (lower right) and Vega in Lyra (top of picture). Here is a segment of a chart I made a few months ago showing where to look:

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 6.01.31 PM.png

I think they'll follow Voyager 1 a few more years as long as they can until either the transmitter gives out (the nuclear reactor has already long outlasted its design), or the signal gets too weak to hear (whether it is responding to OUR signal to transmit or just gets too faint). They are close to that point I believe if not already past it. Voyager 1 is around 17 light/hours from Earth now.

It can finally unbutton it's pants and sprawl out on the recliner to watch some football! "Get up, stretch your legs we have a long way to go".

Too cool this thing is 35 years out. 50,000 years from now an alien race will find the Tesla car in it's orbit and instructions on where Voyager went.

Forum List

Back