Voters don't see Kerry as likable

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Voters don't see Kerry as likable

By Donald Lambro
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry has a serious likability problem, with many voters seeing him as cold, aloof and distant, according to focus groups, recent polls and election analysts.
The complaint has dogged the Massachusetts senator throughout his political career, but it has gotten more attention in recent weeks as he undergoes deeper scrutiny in the press and from political pundits. Pollsters say when compared with President Bush on a likability scale, the president leads, often by large margins.

"It is a problem for Kerry. When you are talking about selecting a leader, barring an unforeseen circumstance, you have to like that leader. Whether it is an insurmountable problem remains to be seen," independent pollster John Zogby said.
"Clearly, that is bolstering Bush at the moment, his likability. A majority of Americans like him, though it's not as wide as it was," Mr. Zogby said.
When a CBS News/New York Times poll asked 1,042 adults last week to rate the "likability" of the two candidates, Mr. Bush was rated as likable by 57 percent, as compared with Mr. Kerry's 48 percent
full story

I really don't give a shit if a guy is likeable. I just want to know that he can lead. CLinton was likeable but he sucked as a president. Bush is hated by alot of people, but he can lead and stands on his principles. So this is all BS to me.

Originally posted by insein
I really don't give a shit if a guy is likeable. I just want to know that he can lead. CLinton was likeable but he sucked as a president. Bush is hated by alot of people, but he can lead and stands on his principles. So this is all BS to me.
Good points Insein, but likeability is an advantage for a canidate, so in this case a disadvantage for Kerry.

Mtn brings out a great point; being liked does not directly influence your ability to lead, just your votes !:)

Forum List

Back