Voter wearing 2nd amendment T-shirt thrown out of polling place

Yea the second amendment isnt pooitical at all delta.

The right doesnt promote it while the left seeks to restrict it.

Naw, none of that happens.

What universe is this again? I fffffffeeeerrrgettt

Yea and a vote wether or not to restrict ice cream in some sort of way - and a guy showing up with a giant CONE on his shirt - the two have NOTHING to do with one another he's not saying ANYthing.

Some ppl are fuggin nuts rlly.

Ice cream is not a fundamental right, nor does it have its own Amendment to the Constitution . The Second, Amendment was not on the ballot. If it had been, we would ALL be voting on it.

We did not mean to be alerted to your presence.

He was not electioneering about any 'measure.' The shirt merely stated a historical fact, which you are unable to grasp. I hope he sues the election commission.

I have to ask, how do you know what he intended to do? How do you know he was not electioneering? He said so?

The shirt did not say, 'vote for this, or vote down that.' It made a simple statement. From the OP.
2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security

Had nothing to do with anything on the ballot.

So, if I wear a t-shirt to a polling place that says "Abortion: The Ultimate Child Abuse" and there is a measure on the ballot seeking funding for Planned Parenthood, I am not electioneering?

Come on!

Last edited:
An issue in regard to the second amendment was on the ballot.....denying that is just being a douche.

Yea the second amendment isnt pooitical at all delta.

The right doesnt promote it while the left seeks to restrict it.

Naw, none of that happens.

What universe is this again? I fffffffeeeerrrgettt

2nd Amendment ISN'T political, it's LAW.

Rather, it's 'politicized.'

Yes, politicising something makes it 'political,' this isnt really mental gymnastics the "political teams" as immature as they both are fight over the second Amendment ALL THE TIME.

sometimes honesty is refreshing and if youre really telling yourself that this guy wasnt making a statement regarding the ballot measure then i suggest you smack the shit out of yourself and then take a hot shower.

An issue in regard to the second amendment was on the ballot.....denying that is just being a douche.

From the Federal Register a government publication and not copyrighted:

The Constitutional Amendment Process

The authority to amend the Constitution of the United States is derived from Article V of the Constitution. After Congress proposes an amendment, the Archivist of the United States, who heads the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), is charged with responsibility for administering the ratification process under the provisions of 1 U.S.C. 106b. The Archivist has delegated many of the ministerial duties associated with this function to the Director of the Federal Register. Neither Article V of the Constitution nor section 106b describe the ratification process in detail. The Archivist and the Director of the Federal Register follow procedures and customs established by the Secretary of State, who performed these duties until 1950, and the Administrator of General Services, who served in this capacity until NARA assumed responsibility as an independent agency in 1985.

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. The Congress proposes an amendment in the form of a joint resolution. Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval. The original document is forwarded directly to NARA's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) for processing and publication. The OFR adds legislative history notes to the joint resolution and publishes it in slip law format. The OFR also assembles an information package for the States which includes formal "red-line" copies of the joint resolution, copies of the joint resolution in slip law format, and the statutory procedure for ratification under 1 U.S.C. 106b.

The Archivist submits the proposed amendment to the States for their consideration by sending a letter of notification to each Governor along with the informational material prepared by the OFR. The Governors then formally submit the amendment to their State legislatures. In the past, some State legislatures have not waited to receive official notice before taking action on a proposed amendment. When a State ratifies a proposed amendment, it sends the Archivist an original or certified copy of the State action, which is immediately conveyed to the Director of the Federal Register. The OFR examines ratification documents for facial legal sufficiency and an authenticating signature. If the documents are found to be in good order, the Director acknowledges receipt and maintains custody of them. The OFR retains these documents until an amendment is adopted or fails, and then transfers the records to the National Archives for preservation.

A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States). When the OFR verifies that it has received the required number of authenticated ratification documents, it drafts a formal proclamation for the Archivist to certify that the amendment is valid and has become part of the Constitution. This certification is published in the Federal Register and U.S. Statutes at Large and serves as official notice to the Congress and to the Nation that the amendment process has been completed.

In a few instances, States have sent official documents to NARA to record the rejection of an amendment or the rescission of a prior ratification. The Archivist does not make any substantive determinations as to the validity of State ratification actions, but it has been established that the Archivist's certification of the facial legal sufficiency of ratification documents is final and conclusive.

In recent history, the signing of the certification has become a ceremonial function attended by various dignitaries, which may include the President. President Johnson signed the certifications for the 24th and 25th Amendments as a witness, and President Nixon similarly witnessed the certification of the 26th Amendment along with three young scholars. On May 18, 1992, the Archivist performed the duties of the certifying official for the first time to recognize the ratification of the 27th Amendment, and the Director of the Federal Register signed the certification as a witness.

Constitutional Amendment Process

A local or state government cannot amend or change the Constitution.

I kind of feel bad for people who bend over backward with dishonesty to fulfill their little political arguing.

If a guy shows up to a vote regarding restricting guns and has the amendment on his shirt that protects our guns rights and you HONESTLY believe hes not saying somthing? Youre a knucklehead.

But......you dont HONESTLY believe he wasnt making a statement.

I kind of feel bad for people who bend over backward with dishonesty to fulfill their little political arguing.

If a guy shows up to a vote regarding restricting guns and has the amendment on his shirt that protects our guns rights and you HONESTLY believe hes not saying somthing? Youre a knucklehead.

So if there is a vote on abortion and someone wears a shirt that says from the Declaration of Independence, "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," they are electioneering? I don't think so. There is nothing that states a person cannot quote or mention one of our founding documents or anything in them at the polls.

Ahhhhh kay

Delusional.

A better analogy would be if there was a measure regarding abortion and someone wore a shirt that said "i support womens rights."

But then i guess there would be naive ppl like you lot who would think the shirt had nothing at all to do with the vote. Nuh uh fingers crossed? Smh

Much ado about nothing.

"Texas Election code. Specifically, section 85.036. It says you can't campaign for a candidate - or a proposition - within 100 feet of a polling place. That's why all these signs are that far away.

Chris Driskill did get to vote. A candidate offered his suit coat to cover the t-shirt.

"So maybe not necessarily that they are anti-gun people who are reacting to your shirt, right?" asks reporter Kevin Reece. "Right....right," Driskill responds."

TX voter turned away at polls for gun rights t-shirt - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports

He was. But there are various forms of communication. Here is an example. We didn't have uniforms for our delivery drivers when I first started. At the time we were not part of the nationwide system of clinics and hospitals so we had a "mom and pop" operation.
They could pretty much wear what they wanted (T-shirts, ball caps, jeans). One day, I was having lunch with a nurse I was friendly with and she mentioned that one of the drivers wore a T-shirt that said "I Love Hot Moms". Actually the "love" was not stated but there was a red heart on the T-shirt. She thought this was inappropriate for the workplace since we may have some "hot moms" working there.

Did he mean anything by it? No. It was likely the first shirt he found in the drawer that morning when he was getting dressed. Was the nurse overly sensitive? In my opinion yes. Can I see where there is fertile ground for activities that shouldn't be in the work space? Yes.

Our voting process should be as sterile as possible. This is why I'm in favor of free, photo-borne state voter registration cards so everyone has a photo ID to make sure nobody voted twice and that the person voting IS the person who is on the card. Why else have registration in the first place? This sterility should extend to any form of electioneering in the polling place. I doubt the gentleman in question with the 2nd Amendment shirt had an intent to electioneer nor did the woman mentioned in the story with the Obama garment. It's a lot like asking fans not to wear a team jersey to the stadium to watch the team.

All that being said, it sounds like a dumb rule to me but I understand why it is there.

The law is not inside vs outside. It is a radius of the polling place. The guy arrested wearing the Obama shirt was not inside the polling place and was not even aware early voting was taking place. Voting is too important for some people to be turned away and others not for the same thing. I have no problem with enforcing the law. I have a problem with it being enforced selectively. That opens a dangerous door. If the problem is improper training, we can remedy that by training at least one volunteer properly. Many people involved enough to volunteer during elections would be perfectly willing to have 40 hours of training.

Just curious ... wearing a tshirt is asshole politiking but plastering your car with bumper stickers is not?

[quotes=Dante;8663787]@Little-Acorn

Most informed citizen voters (unlike you and some dopes) know you cannot politic at a polling place. It is why there are also rules against holding signs or passing out literature within a certain distance of a polling place,

Americans have the right to vote without asshole politiking in their face at a polling site

Jesus, take a basic civics class willya wilma?:cuckoo:

Tons of candidate bumper stickers within 100 ft of every polling place ive ever been to and it has never been considered electioneering. Wonder if they should start parking somewhere else, be forced to remove them, or be denied their vote. Why is the shirt different?
Hummmmm ...... Did anyone drive their vehicle INTO the polling place? That might be the difference. Wadda ya think???
Hey, look, there are no such thing as professional polling personal. The people you see manning the polls get three or four hours of instruction every two years and then they are turned loose. It is not a regular job and it is damn sure not a very good part time job if you only spend a few hours on the job every year or two. They are doing the best they can. The important thing to ask here is this, DID THE PERSON WEARING THE TEE SHIRT GET TO VOTE?
Bottom line here is that the polling official was damn lucky the guy in the tee shirt didn't scream that his life had been put in danger and then spending a clip into the poll official. After all, we are speaking of Texas here.[/QUOTE]

[MENTION=3254]Little-Acorn[/MENTION]
Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

Most informed citizen voters (unlike you and some dopes) know you cannot politic at a polling place. It is why there are also rules against holding signs or passing out literature within a certain distance of a polling place,

Americans have the right to vote without asshole politiking in their face at a polling site

Jesus, take a basic civics class willya wilma?:cuckoo:

Tons of candidate bumper stickers within 100 ft of every polling place ive ever been to and it has never been considered electioneering. Wonder if they should start parking somewhere else, be forced to remove them, or be denied their vote. Why is the shirt different?

Moronic. People not cars. Most people would not assume a car is interfering with them.

So now the Second Amendment is a 'party?' I think not.

"...a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Imbecile alert!

We did not mean to be alerted to your presence.

He was not electioneering about any 'measure.' The shirt merely stated a historical fact, which you are unable to grasp. I hope he sues the election commission.

frivolous lawsuit backer? you? :rofl:

It's Texas law, you fool.

As I said.. We'll see how the left handles it when one of their people gets refused to vote because of what they are wearing...

I'll have plenty of duct tape on hand for you hypocrites when your heads start exploding.

This happens constantly, to both "liberals" and "conservatives".

It's even happened to me.

Your need to be persecuted isn't shared by everyone. No one was "prevented" from voting, all he had to do was turn his shirt inside out.

The article in the OP mentions an identical incident involving an Obama voter at the place 2 years ago - where's the liberal outrage you're looking so hard for?

[MENTION=42380]OriginalShroom[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=18701]NYcarbineer[/MENTION]

did somebody just run away?:eusa_whistle:

True.

It’s also idiocy to infer that elections officials enforcing the law did so motivated by ‘animus’ toward advocates of the Second Amendment right, or to somehow ‘influence’ the outcome of any election.

Forum List

Back