Voter suppression continues in Florida

What's the justification for having early voting in the frst place? Is it Constitutional?

The Fifth Circuit’s decision is a fascinating read that draws heavily on Foster v. Love 522 U.S. 67 and U.S. v. Classic 313 U.S. 299. The decision provides three basic reasons why early voting is not de facto unconstitutional.

First,

Because the election of federal representatives in Texas is not decided or “consummated” before federal election day, the Texas scheme is not inconsistent with the federal election statutes as interpreted by the court in Foster.​

Second, the Court could not

“logically hold that Texas’ system of unrestricted advanced voting violates federal law without also finding that absentee balloting–which occurs in every state– violates federal law.​

And, finally, the Court could not

conceive that Congress intended the federal election day statutes to have the effect of impeding citizens in exercising their right to vote.​

Is Early Voting Constitutional

So, I will ask again, what is the justification for reducing the number of early voting days? They haven't done away with it completely. Why reduce the number of days that early voting is available?

Again I ask is early voting Constitutional?

TITLE 3 > CHAPTER 1 > § 1
§ 1. Time of appointing electors
The electors of President and Vice President shall be appointed, in each State, on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November, in every fourth year succeeding every election of a President and Vice President.

United States Code: Title 3,1. Time of appointing electors | LII / Legal Information Institute

As DTMB pointed out, "The Day on which they shall give their votes" refers to the Electors, not Voters. Individual voters may vote early, as has been upheld in a number of court cases, but the Electoral College votes won't be allocated until Election Day.

The electors of President and Vice President shall be appointed, in each State, on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in November, in every fourth year succeeding every election of a President and Vice President.

United States Code: Title 3,1. Time of appointing electors | LII / Legal Information Institute

How does that passage of the Constitution make early voting illegal? The electors are still being appointed on Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

The U.S. law TITLE 3 CHAPTER 1 § 1 gives a specific date when election are to be held. Nothing more or nothing less.

How does that passage of the Constitution make early voting illegal? The electors are still being appointed on Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

The U.S. law TITLE 3 CHAPTER 1 § 1 gives a specific date when election are to be held. Nothing more or nothing less.

And the Elections are held on those days, the votes are not tallied and counted until that day, but the VOTERS can vote prior to that day.

Article 1, Section 4 provides:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Early voting has been upheld in court. There is no getting around it so, I will ask again...What is the justification for reducing the number of early voting days?

Last edited:

It gives a specific day as to when electors are appointed by each state. It says nothing about people not being able to vote over a period of a week or two and having all votes tallied on Election Day to determine who those electors will be.

If it's unconstitutional as you say and all these Republicans changing these early voting windows are such "protectors" of Constitutional law, then why are they shortening the early voting window rather than just eliminating it completely?

According to a new Quinnipiac University poll of Florida voters, Rick Scott is now one of the country’s most unpopular governors, a dubious feat after only four months in office.

It’s bad news for Republican Party bosses, but all is not lost. Scott recently signed a new election bill that is callously designed to suppress voter turnout, making it harder for many disgruntled Floridians to cast a valid ballot in 2012.

Democrats outnumber Republicans in the state, so GOP leaders are desperate to find ways to keep certain people away from the polls. One of the Legislature’s top priorities was to change the voting rules to avoid a repeat of 2008, when Barack Obama won the state’s 27 electoral votes on his way to the presidency.

Obama benefited from early-voting days, which proved popular among minorities, college students and retirees. Republican officials became incensed during the election when then-Gov. Charlie Crist — one of their own — decided to extend polling hours to accommodate the long lines.

The nerve of that guy, making it easier for common citizens to vote!

Determined not to let this whole democracy thing get out of hand, the GOP-held Legislature crafted a bill that reduces the number of early voting days from 15 to eight, and requires some voters who have moved to cast provisional ballots, a deliberate inconvenience aimed at students.

Historically, provisional ballots are counted at a much lower rate than regular ones, meaning many young voters won’t get heard — exactly what Scott and the Republican leadership want.

The new bill also throws out a rule that had been in effect for 40 years allowing Floridians to update their legal addresses when they arrive to vote. Now you can only do that if you moved within the same county.

GOP won’t let democracy get out of hand - Carl Hiaasen - MiamiHerald.com

I can counter all of this with simple solutions.

Only one vote allowed.
No more clearing out Assisted living facilities and Rest homes as well as coaching old people on who to vote for.
Not allowing people to register the day they vote by instituting an drop-dead day before the primaries. If you aren't registered a reasonable period of time before the primaries, you just don't get to vote.
Oh, and a picture I.D. must become law. A valid driver's license must be presented that proves you're a legal resident of the district you're voting in. This must be instituted in Blue States as well as Red States.

All of the above would suppress the Democrat vote.....because with these measures they won't be able to cheat.

If you have a problem with any of the above you must feel I'm right.

What is the justification for reducing the number of early voting days?

What's the justification for having early voting in the frst place? Is it Constitutional?

Most people get off at around 4pm. The lines are tremendous.

Early voting is a great idea. I rarely vote on election day.

Early voting and vote by mail are both excellent ideas that should be expanded and improved, not reduced. These things significantly reduce the costs of elections. Polling places are expensive.

It gives a specific day as to when electors are appointed by each state. It says nothing about people not being able to vote over a period of a week or two and having all votes tallied on Election Day to determine who those electors will be.

If it's unconstitutional as you say and all these Republicans changing these early voting windows are such "protectors" of Constitutional law, then why are they shortening the early voting window rather than just eliminating it completely?

I don't know why they are not eliminating it completely there is no Constitutional standing that gives any person the right to vote early. with one exception absentee ballets.

And the Elections are held on those days, the votes are not tallied and counted until that day, but the VOTERS can vote prior to that day.

Article 1, Section 4 provides:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

Early voting has been upheld in court. There is no getting around it so, I will ask again...What is the justification for reducing the number of early voting days?

I think before everyone starts screaming about voter suppression you might want to find out if they discovered that not enough people are taking advantage of early voting to justify the extra days.

It may be a great idea but is it Constitutional? Has early voting helped in the number of cases for voter fraud?

According to a new Quinnipiac University poll of Florida voters, Rick Scott is now one of the country’s most unpopular governors, a dubious feat after only four months in office.

It’s bad news for Republican Party bosses, but all is not lost. Scott recently signed a new election bill that is callously designed to suppress voter turnout, making it harder for many disgruntled Floridians to cast a valid ballot in 2012.

Democrats outnumber Republicans in the state, so GOP leaders are desperate to find ways to keep certain people away from the polls. One of the Legislature’s top priorities was to change the voting rules to avoid a repeat of 2008, when Barack Obama won the state’s 27 electoral votes on his way to the presidency.

Obama benefited from early-voting days, which proved popular among minorities, college students and retirees. Republican officials became incensed during the election when then-Gov. Charlie Crist — one of their own — decided to extend polling hours to accommodate the long lines.

Determined not to let this whole democracy thing get out of hand, the GOP-held Legislature crafted a bill that reduces the number of early voting days from 15 to eight, and requires some voters who have moved to cast provisional ballots, a deliberate inconvenience aimed at students.

Historically, provisional ballots are counted at a much lower rate than regular ones, meaning many young voters won’t get heard — exactly what Scott and the Republican leadership want.

The new bill also throws out a rule that had been in effect for 40 years allowing Floridians to update their legal addresses when they arrive to vote. Now you can only do that if you moved within the same county.

fear mongering and class warfare.. that all ya got? Good work demonRat.

the greatest votin supression scam today is done by the left. When I was serving in Iraq I got my absontee ballot three days before the election. I wonder if it made it home? Not a chance! The left bends over backwards to ensure military absontee ballots are not counted! Se why here >> http://www.militarytimes.com/static/projects/pages/081003_ep_2pp.pdf and here USATODAY.com - Troops in survey back Bush 4-to-1 over Kerry

the greatest votin supression scam today is done by the left. When I was serving in Iraq I got my absontee ballot three days before the election. I wonder if it made it home? Not a chance! The left bends over backwards to ensure military absontee ballots are not counted! Se why here >> http://www.militarytimes.com/static/projects/pages/081003_ep_2pp.pdf and here USATODAY.com - Troops in survey back Bush 4-to-1 over Kerry

That happened ina lot of demonRats states, conveniently late cause they know the military is heavily Republican.

Budget

Bullshit. Most early voting centers are at the Elections offices or at city halls (which are already staffed). Try again.

More early voting is cheaper. 100% vote by mail would be the least expensive if the budget were actually the concern.

If that were true, then liberal California wouldn't have some of the best MOVE laws in the country. We mail (or fax or email) our overseas VBM ballots out a full sixty days prior to election day. Overseas and military voters can mail or fax their ballots back.

If there is a problem, then it is with the laws of your state. Get them changed...

I don't know if you realize what a tight schedule elections are...if just ONE thing happens to hold up the ballot printing, things get dicey.

It may be a great idea but is it Constitutional? Has early voting helped in the number of cases for voter fraud?

It has already been pointed out to you that it is constitutional.

WHAT VOTER FRAUD?!? Where are these alleged cases of voter fraud?!?

Budget

Bullshit. Most early voting centers are at the Elections offices or at city halls (which are already staffed). Try again.

More early voting is cheaper. 100% vote by mail would be the least expensive if the budget were actually the concern.

Most early voting start on Saturday I think the staff is at home on the weekend.

Forum List

Back