Voter ID – How Canada Does It

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
They have three options when going to the polls. See Elections Canada Online | Voter Identification at the Polls However, Option Three – Vouching – is getting some heat from a former electoral officer. See Jean-Pierre Kingsley still has concerns over electoral changes - Politics - CBC News

My point in posting this is how our neighbors to the north – and the south – have requirements for voters to identify themselves when going to vote. Canada requires IDs that are almost common to everybody. And, for those very few who don't have ID, this vouching is simply having someone say, “I know this person and is who they say they are.” Difficult? Unfair?

BTW, Mexico requires a special Voter ID card with photo and nobody complains about it.

Why is this so difficult to establish here in the USA? [I know the answer but want to see your reaction.]

People who have difficulty getting ID's generally have bigger problems than not being able to vote.

I wish those who were against Voter ID would acknowledge this and redirect their energies to helping those who have been disenfranchised from life due to lack of fundamental skills and resources.

(Sorry for not being quite on topic. I'm subscribed and waiting to hear responses to your question.)

They have three options when going to the polls. See Elections Canada Online | Voter Identification at the Polls However, Option Three – Vouching – is getting some heat from a former electoral officer. See Jean-Pierre Kingsley still has concerns over electoral changes - Politics - CBC News

My point in posting this is how our neighbors to the north – and the south – have requirements for voters to identify themselves when going to vote. Canada requires IDs that are almost common to everybody. And, for those very few who don't have ID, this vouching is simply having someone say, “I know this person and is who they say they are.” Difficult? Unfair?

BTW, Mexico requires a special Voter ID card with photo and nobody complains about it.

Why is this so difficult to establish here in the USA? [I know the answer but want to see your reaction.]

Cuz It'll Cost Dems Votes!...for $1000, Alex

if there is a question of identity simply have the option to take a thumb print, if the election is close they can verify if the correct person voted or not.

if there is a question of identity simply have the option to take a thumb print, if the election is close they can verify if the correct person voted or not.

And how is that supposed to work unless there is a database of all voters' fingerprints to begin with?

And how is that supposed to work unless there is a database of all voters' fingerprints to begin with?

just have the individual in question verify he voted by his thumb print - matching the one taken on electionday.

the ID could be a forgery, something the "fraudulent" voter will think of.

Forum List

Back