Vote Counting Begins In Scotland On Independence

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
AOL.com Article - Vote counting begins in Scotland on independence

EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) -- Excitement vied with apprehension as Scottish voters went to the polls Thursday in a referendum on independence, deciding whether to dissolve a 307-year union with England that brought prosperity but has increasingly felt stifling to many Scots.
As the polls closed and the vote counting began, there was a quiet thrill of history in the making on the fog-shrouded streets of Scotland's capital, Edinburgh. Many Scots were staying up all night in homes and bars to watch the results roll in.

Eager voters had lined up outside some polling stations even before they opened at 7 a.m. Many polling stations were busy and turnout was expected to be high. More than 4.2 million people had registered to vote - 97 percent of those eligible - including residents as young as 16.

A Yes vote would trigger 18 months of negotiations between Scottish leaders and London-based politicians on how the two countries would separate their institutions before Scotland's planned Independence Day on March 24, 2016.

For some, it was a day they had dreamed of for decades. For others, the time had finally come to make up their minds about the future - both for themselves and for the United Kingdom.

"Fifty years I fought for this," said 83-year-old Isabelle Smith, a Yes supporter in Edinburgh's maritime district of Newhaven, a former fishing port. "And we are going to win. I can feel it in my bones."

For Smith, who went to the polling station decked out in a blue-and-white pro-independence shirt and rosette, statehood for Scotland was a dream nurtured during three decades living in the U.S. with her late husband.

"The one thing America has that the Scots don't have is confidence," said Smith, who returned to Scotland years ago. "But they're getting it, they're walking tall."

"No matter what, Scotland will never, ever be the same again."

The question on the ballot paper could not be simpler: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

053722c74e329cbecc3e86fa27ce.jpg

I don't really know enough about this issue to have an informed opinion on it, but I will say I have a hard time understanding why all of Scotland wouldn't vote for Independence.

I guess I just don't understand the whole we're a country, but subordinate to another country thing.

Interesting that the Queen is monitoring the results from her summer castle in Scotland. Doesn't it tend to point out the British arrogance? Don't count on the Scotts to vote for independence though. The Brits dabbled in self government around 1640 when they executed King Charles after a civil war but they quickly chickened out when they brought Chuck #2 out of exile when self rule was too difficult.

Scotland leaving the UK would be insanity.

What would they do for money without the British Pound?
What about their share of the debt - can they pay it off right now?
What about national defense?

And then there are the companies headquartered in Scotland that will move to London...good bye tax base.

Fortunately, this nonsense is going down in flames.

The Scots are ok, the English are a bunch of weirdos

And then there are the companies headquartered in Scotland that will move to London...good bye tax base.

In 1922, Ireland seceded and is doing just fine now. Scotland could negotiate to use the Pound, use the Euro, or use it's own currency. Scotland would not have to pay off any debt "right now" and it makes no sense to believe that. What about national defense? Is any country trying to invade Scotland? Are Scottish people incapable of raising an army or forming alliances for some reason? The companies may leave, but others may come. That is all just speculation.

There would be kinks, but it is far from insanity. But I doubt it will happen.

I don't really know enough about this issue to have an informed opinion on it, but I will say I have a hard time understanding why all of Scotland wouldn't vote for Independence.

I guess I just don't understand the whole we're a country, but subordinate to another country thing.
Think of it as “we are a nation existing in a state with like-minded nations.”

Where the nation is the people, in this case the Scots, with a shared history, language, and tradition, and the state is the political entity in which they exist, in this case the UK.

In many cases the nation and the state are one in the same, such as France, where the French nation also exists in a French state.

The referendum, therefore, concerned whether the Scottish nation wished to exist in a Scottish state.

Otherwise, it's a good example of why we Americans should be thankful we live in a Republic and not a democracy.

Like every single state in the US you mean?

What a terrible shame. This was a missed opportunity.

Hopefully secessionist movements still go forward around the world.

To think the nation state, run by a small elite is preferable, is not thinking.

It appears the people have decided their fate. Best of luck to Scotland and it's future.

Forum List

Back