Voices from around the World

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Navy1960, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Again, as one of those who did not vote for President-elect Obama and seeing the many people that were inspired by his message it made me think of the talk about how the United States is percieved in the world. While it has been a much talked about subject, and often times many people come to the conslusion that the stature of the United States has been somewhat diminished as if late, I thought you might enjoy this.

"American elections have shaken me to the core. I have always thought the Chinese political system is the best in the world, but it is not so. We are deprived of our sacred rights, rule of law and human rights are trampled upon. To have a democratic system like the one in the USA is more difficult than touching the sky... But we long to achieve freedom and democracy, which is a difficult task for us young people in China." (Anonymous)

"American democracy changes all the time. The role of this new America in the Third World will be more humane and more ethical." (Adel, Yemen)

"If tomorrow we were electing the president of planet Earth, I would choose Obama." (Andrei Sidorenko, Vladivostok, Russia)

In Afghanistan, the U.S. Embassy invited scores of Afghans to watch the U.S. election results at a party at Kabul's Serena Hotel — where a well-planned Taliban bombing and gun attack in January grabbed world headlines. Organizers even set up an unofficial polling station for Afghan visitors to cast ballots. The result: 74-3 for Obama.

"Your victory has demonstrated that no person anywhere in the world should not dare to dream of wanting to change the world for a better place. We applaud your commitment to supporting the cause of peace and security around the world. We trust that you will also make it the mission of your presidency to combat the scourge of poverty and disease everywhere."
    Nelson Mandela

Elation, Skepticism As World Reacts To Obama Win : NPR

Now what this says to me, in loud words is that the world is willing to give this man a chance and his ability to inspire those here has reached ears and eyes all over the world, so then as out next President perhaps we should do the same.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. BlackAsCoal

BlackAsCoal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    The possibilities are endless.

The question is will Obama and the democrats meet the expectations.

3. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    As long as Obama calls 'bullshit' equally on both sides of the aisle he'll go a long way toward meeting our expectations... there is a lot of partisanship and favoritism among the democrats that needs to be flushed also.

-Joe

4. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    I will not be so anti-obama as long as he fights pelosi and reid on key issues and doesnt become a rubber stamp for them because right now they think they rule this land

5. bigdaddygtr

bigdaddygtr Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72

Perfectly said, I've been screaming this being his biggest asset for months, but you put it much more eloquently than I :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189

IMHO his campaign BaC has set the bar very high, and that will depend on who's expectations we are talking about. Further, it depends on how realistic those expectations are. Let me give you an example, the Middle Class tax cuts, from a realistic perspective, in any form will not go into effect until the current tax cuts which are law are allowed to expire. The one thing that concerns me about any government that is so overwhelmingly dominated by one party is that the voices of those that did not vote for this new representation are lost. I have never been in favor of any party dominating all aspects of government. There are many possibilities ahead, and I remain hopeful that perhaps once and for all the word civility might be once again part of the great debate and ideas from all sides can be heard to bring solutions that really have meaning. For too long now, one party or the other in partisan hatred has closed their ears to what could be good solutions for everyone. Here is something else to consider too, that hopefully will finally discussed. The solutions that work in California, while great for California may not be the best solutions for Arizona. So perhaps the voices from the states that have been too long IMHO left out of the great debate might finally be heard. I will remain hopeful, like I always have with any new President.

7. N4mddissent

N4mddissent Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    A few lines from a BBC report that I found strikings.

I understand that at this point the change is just cosmetic, but the importance of cosmetic change is sometimes too quickly dismissed. It's a bit like a job interview. If you go in well-dressed in suit and tie, you make an immediate impression that is important. It must then be followed up with substance. However, if you go in and your appearance makes a poor impression, then any substance you may present may not be heard, and at the least will be less effective. I think this can be analagous to the President as our face to the world.

I find that last line fills me with a lot of pride. It may seem cliche and old hat at first glance, but the fact that this is a comment from a BBC article makes it special. To hear someone who is not an American citizen speak in hopeful tones about the American dream, to know it can once again inspire rather than be crushed by the weight of cynicism makes me optimistic and proud.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  8. BlackAsCoal

BlackAsCoal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    I agree .. but cumbaya politics won't make him successful.

Democrats are often long on talk, short on accomplishments. Both he and congress will hav to figure out the accomplishment thing.

If he goes cowboy and starts murdering innocent people in Pakistan looking for ghosts, the honeymoon with the rest of the world will be short-lived.

The problem for him is murdering innocent people is exactly what the puppetmasters want him to do. They've got a pipeline in Afghanistan they want him to protect and wnat him to use the US military as some sort of stylized security guard super rent-a-cops to protect it.

If Bryzenski, his brain on foreign policy, convinces him to keep pushing the Russians and put ABM's in their backyard, his honeymoon will be short.

If he doesn't truly seek balance in the middle east and simply continues the same US policy of Israel first and only, the honeymoon will be over .. back to square Bush.

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,745
    I've always been proud of my country. This election didn't change that.

10. N4mddissent

N4mddissent Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    One can be proud of one's country without being constantly proud of every decision and direction. It's a bit like children. You may love your children and have a sense of pride in them as your children, but that doesn't mean you approve of and have pride in every choice they make in life.