visiting Italy

Trigg

Oct 26, 2004
midwest
I'm going to Italy next week, flying into Rome.

Has anyone been there and do you have any suggestions on what to avoid or what I shouldn't miss while I'm there??????

I'm leaving the kiddies home with the husband and going with friends. :cheers2:

the vatican, sunday mass, and climb to the top of the dome

see the pantheon, the raphael church, catacombs, and all the standards you can cram in.....

sienna florence and vennice are a must if you can day trip / overnight train....

manu1959 said:
the vatican, sunday mass, and climb to the top of the dome

see the pantheon, the raphael church, catacombs, and all the standards you can cram in.....

sienna florence and vennice are a must if you can day trip / overnight train....

I'm definitally planning on the vatican. What are the catacombs?

We're thinking about Florence, we're waiting until we get there to try to figure out the trains. We didn't want to get into planned tour groups where you're with the same 10 people the entire time. I did sign up for a ancient city tour that lasts 3 hours and visits the colliseum, trevi fountain and spanish steps.

Trigg said:

We're thinking about Florence, we're waiting until we get there to try to figure out the trains. We didn't want to get into planned tour groups where you're with the same 10 people the entire time. I did sign up for a ancient city tour that lasts 3 hours and visits the colliseum, trevi fountain and spanish steps.
Watch your back in Rome. Thieves like you've never seen. Not dangerous, just out to steal your tourist money. Many of them are quite crafty, too.

Trigg said:

the catacombs are an underground "church" with lots of bones etc....http://www.catacombe.roma.it/ one of the tour books will turn you onto it......florence is amazing

I lived there for 6 years...my list would be too long.

What cities are you going to? That would be a good start.

First and foremost, take a mini calculator to determine the exchange rate. Some touristy places will charge $12.00 (in Lira) for a bottle of water, hoping the American customer's won't be able to figure out how much they are spending.

Second - a small pocket translator. In the major cities, you will easily find someone who speaks enough English to do what you need to do, but if you get off the beaten track, it may be a bit more difficult.

Third - Camera And take LOTS and LOTS of pictures.

The ClayTaurus said:
Watch your back in Rome. Thieves like you've never seen. Not dangerous, just out to steal your tourist money. Many of them are quite crafty, too.

Thanks for the warning. I've got a jacket with pockets that button, so hopefully that will deter any theives.

Quite a few people have warned me about pickpockets.

Trigg said:
I'm going to Italy next week, flying into Rome.

Has anyone been there and do you have any suggestions on what to avoid or what I shouldn't miss while I'm there??????

I'm leaving the kiddies home with the husband and going with friends. :cheers2:

But if ya get a chance leave the mainland tourist traps and hit the Tuscany Islands...The Island of Elba is a great start...Lots of cool beaches...restaurante's and Roman ruins...not to mention that this is where Napoleon was exiled to...and don't forget to try the 'Sburita soup'...a really good fish soup!

Trigg said:
Thanks for the warning. I've got a jacket with pockets that button, so hopefully that will deter any theives.

I would be weary of placing anything of value on an outside-facing pocket.

GotZoom said:
I lived there for 6 years...my list would be too long.

What cities are you going to? That would be a good start.

First and foremost, take a mini calculator to determine the exchange rate. Some touristy places will charge $12.00 (in Lira) for a bottle of water, hoping the American customer's won't be able to figure out how much they are spending.

Second - a small pocket translator. In the major cities, you will easily find someone who speaks enough English to do what you need to do, but if you get off the beaten track, it may be a bit more difficult.

Third - Camera And take LOTS and LOTS of pictures.

We're staying in Rome and we want to travel by train to Florence. We're getting there the 30th and leaving the following Thurs April 6th. Not to much time unfortunatally, I would have liked to stay longer but it's expensive.

Thanks for the idea of a calculator, I hadn't even thought of that. I know the Euro is stronger than the dollar so I was prepaired to loose a little on the exchange rate.

Trigg said:

Hubby needs to keep wallet in front pocket. Nothing in the back pocket.

It wouldn't hurt if you had a fanny pack - in front - for all your valuables.

GotZoom said:
Hubby needs to keep wallet in front pocket. Nothing in the back pocket.

It wouldn't hurt if you had a fanny pack - in front - for all your valuables.
On the other hand, a fanny pack makes you a very obvious target.

The ClayTaurus said:
I would be weary of placing anything of value on an outside-facing pocket.

I know, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a womans jacket with an inside pocket. They're so common for mens clothes.

I don't wanna wear a fanny pack, just to tourist looking. I'd do just as well to wear a sign saying "I"m a tourist rip me off"

I'm taking travelers chequs with me and I'll probably just get them cashed as I need them. That way if I do get robbed they don't get all my money.

Trust me. Everyone will know you are a tourist.

The absence of a fanny pack isn't going to automatically make you look like a local.

There are plenty of people out there who have purses hanging around their arms (toward the back), wallets in back pockets, etc., who will be good targets.

GotZoom said:
Trust me. Everyone will know you are a tourist.

The absence of a fanny pack isn't going to automatically make you look like a local.

There are plenty of people out there who have purses hanging around their arms (toward the back), wallets in back pockets, etc., who will be good targets.

Ya, we're a pretty obvious group. What with all the looking around and saying wow look at that all the time.

manu1959 said:
the catacombs are an underground "church" with lots of bones etc....http://www.catacombe.roma.it/ one of the tour books will turn you onto it......florence is amazing

I just checked out the web sight. Looks like my kind of place. The more cathedrals I get to visit the better. I printed off all the info, thanks again.

This is a good reason why the hubby isn't coming. If he can't sit on a beach and drink tequila sunrises than he doesn't want to go. I made him visit the Mayan ruins when we went to Mexico ( I had to get off that beach!).

I'm jealous, Trigg!

Have a great time, and stay safe. And if you find one of these, get him to join the board. ;)

italian-man.jpg

Abbey Normal said:
I'm jealous, Trigg!

Have a great time, and stay safe. And if you find one of these, get him to join the board. ;)

italian-man.jpg
Oh, the mother-issues that man must have... :laugh:

Forum List

Back