Viet Nam Vets are AGAINST this war in Iraq

Hard headed indeed you are. It still hasnt penetrated through to the grey matter that you havent given a response to my statement that you were passing your opinions off as facts with no evidence to back them up. Maybe another 20 posts and it'll sink in there.

And it still hasn't sunk in to your useless gray matter that you've not offered any credible refutation or argument whatsoever other than to attack me personally or offer your own experience that I doubt as much as you do mine.. Go for what you know, insein. At least for now it's entertaining.

Originally posted by Psychoblues
And it still hasn't sunk in to your useless gray matter that you've not offered any credible refutation or argument whatsoever other than to attack me personally or offer your own experience that I doubt as much as you do mine.. Go for what you know, insein. At least for now it's entertaining.

K, then will just take this thread for whats its worth. An opinion piece put for by yourself. This has no factual evidence in the inital post to support anything.

Ive wasted enough time with you for tonight. I thought maybe you'd bring some evidence, i'd refute it with my evidence and we'd go from there. But this ranks down there with a Uhiha conversation. Except that your actually an American so that makes it that much more disheartening.

I'll be abck in the morning. PErhaps then you'll be ready to bring some evidence to support your erroneous statements in your initial post. I'm sure others when they read this will agree.

That's right, insein. The proof is in the pudding so let's all get a good taste of the pudding. Again, you attack me personally without a shred of justification or credible argument. Tsk, tsk.

By the way, there are 2,447 names on that list alone that I provided. I guess they just aren't friends with Psycho.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Psycho my buddy, were are the facts that show that there is no connection between terrorism and Iraq? I truly believe that there are major connections between the two! Who the hell do you think we are fighting over there at the moment, the Iraq army? I dont think so!:D

There were indisputable connections between Saddam and terrorists.

Here's a few of the vietnam vets that Psychobabble babbled on about:

"I am a Vietnam veteran of the Marine Corp who saw active combat duty and who spilt his blood on the battlefield. I support the president because he is the kind of president that if we had more of, we would not need to send our troops in harms way more often and when we do it would be at less cost in the lives to our people and others. He is a man who understands what it means to be in the military and I know that he would not waste this precious resource. He is an honest president who is not afraid to make the tough decisions that he must make. I trust this man and I believe that is a commodity we have long done without."
Joseph, San Luis Obispo, CA

"I am very proud of President Bush and his military service to our Country. I am also proud of my Vietnam Era Air National Guard service. Our unit was activated for 18 months during the Vietnam War, 1/2 our unit and all of our F-100 pilots deployed to Southeast Asia. The other half, my group, stayed stateside. There was certainly no guarantee that National Guard service would keep you from being called to active duty. Just ask any of the National Guard or Reserve Troops who have served our Country since World War I."
Dwight Van Horn, Hayden, ID

"I am proud to state that I served in the United States Army National Guard during the Viet Nam Era. My specialty was "Chief Computer for an 8 Inch Howitzer and an Honest John Missile". During this time all computations were done manually with slide rulers and logarithms. For most of my adult life I have been registered as an Independent voter. However, since the events on "9/11", I have become receptive to the action/reaction of President George W. Bush in the War Against Terrorism. Please add my name as one of President Bush's Veteran supporters and thank you for protecting our country. May God Bless America!"
James Peter [J. P.] Trujillo, San Francisco, CA

"I served in the U. S. Navy from 1965 to 1971 and in the U. S. Navy Reserve 1979 to 1981. Was a crew member on the USS New (DD818) while on Northern Search and Rescue missions in Vietnam 1967/68. I support president George W. Bush 110%, and am appalled at the attacks by Kerry and the other anti-American liberals."
Michael Danese, Cedar Grove, TN

"Having served my country from 1968 through 1972 in the U.S. Navy I took an oath to uphold the constitution of this great nation and to stand behind my President. President Bush has demonstrated that he is a president who stands behind his men and women in uniform. He has also shown that once his hand is put to the plow he does not turn back on his word. If a man has nothing else in this world, he has his word and reputation. President Bush is a Commander in Chief who has proven he will stay the course. This is a refreshing quality not often seen in Washington."
James, Newton, NC

"I am veteran of the Vietnam war in 1967 through 1968. I support George Bush because he is a man with the country at heart. I would be glad to fight one more time for my country under President George Bush even at my age of 57. Just call on the old vets and we will come to fight for our counrty. People like Jane fonda and John Kerry belong in jail for the things that they said about the Veitnam Vets. Does he think he is the only person with medals? I have three bronze stars and a purple heart and air medals and severel other medals as well and I earned them all. Hope I have not rambled on and you can read this thanks for every thing."
Mark, Springfield, VT

"I went to USAF Pilot Training with George W. Bush at Moody AFB in 1969. He was in the National Guard and I was a Marine. We were both serving our country.

After flight school George went to Texas and flew with the Air National Guard. I went to Vietnam and flew 250 combat missions over North and South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I was shot at on almost every mission by missiles and anti-aircraft fire. I was serving my country and so was George Bush.

Very few people who were in the military during the Vietnam era actually went into Vietnam and fewer still were in actual combat and fewer still were digging foxholes and crawling around through the jungles with a knife in their teeth and a bandolier of ammunition wrapped around their body. No matter what job we had, we were serving our country. We weren't avoiding the draft and we didn't escape the draft to go to school in England and we weren't protesting before Congress or in the streets of our cities. We were serving our country.

Returning from Vietnam, I joined the Arizona Air National Guard. For fourteen years I trained Guardsmen, Reservists, active duty Air Force, Navy and Army pilots to fight wars and win them. I helped develop many of the weapons, tactics, and machines that our military uses today to win wars and protect our nation. I am proud of my service in the National Guard and I don't have adequate words to tell you how proud I am of the young men and women I served with and those who are still serving our nation so bravely.

There are a number of ways for members of the National Guard and Reserves to fulfill their military obligations. President Bush served our country in the Air National Guard and was honorably discharged. I finished my tour and was honorably discharged in 1988.

I am an old fighter pilot now. I watch TV, read the papers and wish I could help our young men and women finish their missions and come home safely. My President is still working every day, serving our nation, trying to make this a safer world."
Benny White, Tucson, AZ

"I am a Navy, Viet Nam era vet. I am proud of our President and do support his actions in Iraq as well as the amendment preserving the institution of marriage. I intend in voting for his re-election. I would like our President to make our nation strong and gain the respect of the nations in the world. May we be a nation that protects our citizens, stands for freedom, and doesn't negotiate with terrorists."
Richard R. Raher

"I am a Vietnam era veteran who proudly served during a time in our history when some whom we were protecting were leading protests against this great country. Not all of us who served during this time ended up in the jungles but we did serve. On the flight deck of a carrier in the Mediterranean, as I served, or in the cockpit of a fighter jet in Texas and Alabama as George served does not lessen our service. George W. Bush's leadership has been commendable and thank God he is our President. I will do what I can to re-elect him. Thank you "W"."
Ronald Egan, Gilford, NH

"I support President Bush because he is a true friend to all Veterans. He also looks after his active duty troops - they obviously revere him. I am a Vietnam Era Veteran who believes his steadfast leadership is our only defense against Terrorism. I salute his service in the Air National Guard, like many others, and I thank him for his outstanding support to the Veteran Community."
O. P. Ditch, Woodbridge, VA

http://vets4bush.com/vetcomments.shtml

Once upon a time, there used to be a system of justice defined as american, that went on the premise of 'innocent until proven guilty'. There also used to be a precedent within that system that if there were no corroborating evidence to show guilt, we had to side with the defendant. That was the OLD american way I guess.

Now, it seems we have a justice system thats designed to convict everybody first, then find and determine the evidence afterwards and it seems that it has also been re-written to automatically assume that allegations without irrefutable proof that either stipulate or discount the allegations, then they are presumed to be truthful. THAT was the old american way also.

How much of our way of life do we change to pursue the war on terror?

Isn't it odd that there were no factual evidence or occurences of Al Qaeda until AFTER the US took control of the country?

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Isn't it odd that there were no factual evidence or occurences of Al Qaeda until AFTER the US took control of the country?

* Abdul Rahman Yasin was the only member of the al Qaeda cell that detonated the 1993 World Trade Center bomb to remain at large in the Clinton years. He fled to Iraq. U.S. forces recently discovered a cache of documents in Tikrit, Saddam's hometown, that show that Iraq gave Mr. Yasin both a house and monthly salary.

* Bin Laden met at least eight times with officers of Iraq's Special Security Organization, a secret police agency run by Saddam's son Qusay, and met with officials from Saddam's mukhabarat, its external intelligence service, according to intelligence made public by Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was speaking before the United Nations Security Council on February 6, 2003.

* Sudanese intelligence officials told me that their agents had observed meetings between Iraqi intelligence agents and bin Laden starting in 1994, when bin Laden lived in Khartoum.

* Bin Laden met the director of the Iraqi mukhabarat in 1996 in Khartoum, according to Mr. Powell.

* An al Qaeda operative now held by the U.S. confessed that in the mid-1990s, bin Laden had forged an agreement with Saddam's men to cease all terrorist activities against the Iraqi dictator, Mr. Powell told the United Nations.

* In 1999 the Guardian, a British newspaper, reported that Farouk Hijazi, a senior officer in Iraq's mukhabarat, had journeyed deep into the icy mountains near Kandahar, Afghanistan, in December 1998 to meet with al Qaeda men. Mr. Hijazi is "thought to have offered bin Laden asylum in Iraq," the Guardian reported.

* In October 2000, another Iraqi intelligence operative, Salah Suleiman, was arrested near the Afghan border by Pakistani authorities, according to Jane's Foreign Report, a respected international newsletter. Jane's reported that Suleiman was shuttling between Iraqi intelligence and Ayman al Zawahiri, now al Qaeda's No. 2 man.

(Why are all of those meetings significant? The London Observer reports that FBI investigators cite a captured al Qaeda field manual in Afghanistan, which "emphasizes the value of conducting discussions about pending terrorist attacks face to face, rather than by electronic means.")

* As recently as 2001, Iraq's embassy in Pakistan was used as a "liaison" between the Iraqi dictator and al Qaeda, Mr. Powell told the United Nations.

* Spanish investigators have uncovered documents seized from Yusuf Galan -- who is charged by a Spanish court with being "directly involved with the preparation and planning" of the Sept. 11 attacks -- that show the terrorist was invited to a party at the Iraqi embassy in Madrid. The invitation used his "al Qaeda nom de guerre," London's Independent reports.

* An Iraqi defector to Turkey, known by his cover name as "Abu Mohammed," told Gwynne Roberts of the Sunday Times of London that he saw bin Laden's fighters in camps in Iraq in 1997. At the time, Mohammed was a colonel in Saddam's Fedayeen. He described an encounter at Salman Pak, the training facility southeast of Baghdad. At that vast compound run by Iraqi intelligence, Muslim militants trained to hijack planes with knives -- on a full-size Boeing 707. Col. Mohammed recalls his first visit to Salman Pak this way: "We were met by Colonel Jamil Kamil, the camp manager, and Major Ali Hawas. I noticed that a lot of people were queuing for food. (The major) said to me: 'You'll have nothing to do with these people. They are Osama bin Laden's group and the PKK and Mojahedin-e Khalq.'"

* In 1998, Abbas al-Janabi, a longtime aide to Saddam's son Uday, defected to the West. At the time, he repeatedly told reporters that there was a direct connection between Iraq and al Qaeda.

*The Sunday Times found a Saddam loyalist in a Kurdish prison who claims to have been Dr. Zawahiri's bodyguard during his 1992 visit with Saddam in Baghdad. Dr. Zawahiri was a close associate of bin Laden at the time and was present at the founding of al Qaeda in 1989.

* Following the defeat of the Taliban, almost two dozen bin Laden associates "converged on Baghdad and established a base of operations there," Mr. Powell told the United Nations in February 2003. From their Baghdad base, the secretary said, they supervised the movement of men, materiel and money for al Qaeda's global network.

* In 2001, an al Qaeda member "bragged that the situation in Iraq was 'good,'" according to intelligence made public by Mr. Powell.

* That same year, Saudi Arabian border guards arrested two al Qaeda members entering the kingdom from Iraq.

* Abu Musaab al-Zarqawi oversaw an al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan, Mr. Powell told the United Nations. His specialty was poisons. Wounded in fighting with U.S. forces, he sought medical treatment in Baghdad in May 2002. When Zarqawi recovered, he restarted a training camp in northern Iraq. Zarqawi's Iraq cell was later tied to the October 2002 murder of Lawrence Foley, an official of the U.S. Agency for International Development, in Amman, Jordan. The captured assassin confessed that he received orders and funds from Zarqawi's cell in Iraq, Mr. Powell said. His accomplice escaped to Iraq.

*Zarqawi met with military chief of al Qaeda, Mohammed Ibrahim Makwai (aka Saif al-Adel) in Iran in February 2003, according to intelligence sources cited by the Washington Post.

* Mohammad Atef, the head of al Qaeda's military wing until the U.S. killed him in Afghanistan in November 2001, told a senior al Qaeda member now in U.S. custody that the terror network needed labs outside of Afghanistan to manufacture chemical weapons, Mr. Powell said. "Where did they go, where did they look?" said the secretary. "They went to Iraq."

* Abu Abdullah al-Iraqi was sent to Iraq by bin Laden to purchase poison gases several times between 1997 and 2000. He called his relationship with Saddam's regime "successful," Mr. Powell told the United Nations.

* Mohamed Mansour Shahab, a smuggler hired by Iraq to transport weapons to bin Laden in Afghanistan, was arrested by anti-Hussein Kurdish forces in May, 2000. He later told his story to American intelligence and a reporter for the New Yorker magazine.

* Documents found among the debris of the Iraqi Intelligence Center show that Baghdad funded the Allied Democratic Forces, a Ugandan terror group led by an Islamist cleric linked to bin Laden. According to a London's Daily Telegraph, the organization offered to recruit "youth to train for the jihad" at a "headquarters for international holy warrior network" to be established in Baghdad.

* Mullah Melan Krekar, ran a terror group (the Ansar al-Islam) linked to both bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. Mr. Krekar admitted to a Kurdish newspaper that he met bin Laden in Afghanistan and other senior al Qaeda officials. His acknowledged meetings with bin Laden go back to 1988. When he organized Ansar al Islam in 2001 to conduct suicide attacks on Americans, "three bin Laden operatives showed up with a gift of $300,000 'to undertake jihad,'" Newsday reported. Mr. Krekar is now in custody in the Netherlands. His group operated in portion of northern Iraq loyal to Saddam Hussein -- and attacked independent Kurdish groups hostile to Saddam. A spokesman for the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan told a United Press International correspondent that Mr. Krekar's group was funded by "Saddam Hussein's regime in Baghdad."

* After October 2001, hundreds of al Qaeda fighters are believed to have holed up in the Ansar al-Islam's strongholds inside northern Iraq.

Some skeptics dismiss the emerging evidence of a longstanding link between Iraq and al Qaeda by contending that Saddam ran a secular dictatorship hated by Islamists like bin Laden.

In fact, there are plenty of "Stalin-Roosevelt" partnerships between international terrorists and Muslim dictators. Saddam and bin Laden had common enemies, common purposes and interlocking needs. They shared a powerful hate for America and the Saudi royal family. They both saw the Gulf War as a turning point. Saddam suffered a crushing defeat which he had repeatedly vowed to avenge. Bin Laden regards the U.S. as guilty of war crimes against Iraqis and believes that non-Muslims shouldn't have military bases on the holy sands of Arabia. Al Qaeda's avowed goal for the past ten years has been the removal of American forces from Saudi Arabia, where they stood in harm's way solely to contain Saddam.

The most compelling reason for bin Laden to work with Saddam is money. Al Qaeda operatives have testified in federal courts that the terror network was always desperate for cash. Senior employees fought bitterly about the $100 difference in pay between Egyptian and Saudis (the Egyptians made more). One al Qaeda member, who was connected to the 1998 embassy bombings, told a U.S. federal court how bitter he was that bin Laden could not pay for his pregnant wife to see a doctor.

Bin Laden's personal wealth alone simply is not enough to support a profligate global organization. Besides, bin Laden's fortune is probably not as large as some imagine. Informed estimates put bin Laden's pre-Sept. 11, 2001 wealth at perhaps $30 million. $30 million is the budget of a small school district, not a global terror conglomerate. Meanwhile, Forbes estimated Saddam's personal fortune at $2 billion.

So a common enemy, a shared goal and powerful need for cash seem to have forged an alliance between Saddam and bin Laden. CIA Director George Tenet recently told the Senate Intelligence Committee: "Iraq has in the past provided training in document forgery and bomb making to al Qaeda. It also provided training in poisons and gasses to two al Qaeda associates; one of these [al Qaeda] associates characterized the relationship as successful. Mr. Chairman, this information is based on a solid foundation of intelligence. It comes to us from credible and reliable sources. Much of it is corroborated by multiple sources."

http://www.techcentralstation.com/092503F.html

Originally posted by jimnyc
* Abdul Rahman Yasin was the only member of the al Qaeda cell that detonated the 1993 World Trade Center bomb to remain at large in the Clinton years. He fled to Iraq. U.S. forces recently discovered a cache of documents in Tikrit, Saddam's hometown, that show that Iraq gave Mr. Yasin both a house and monthly salary.

* Bin Laden met at least eight times with officers of Iraq's Special Security Organization, a secret police agency run by Saddam's son Qusay, and met with officials from Saddam's mukhabarat, its external intelligence service, according to intelligence made public by Secretary of State Colin Powell, who was speaking before the United Nations Security Council on February 6, 2003.

* Sudanese intelligence officials told me that their agents had observed meetings between Iraqi intelligence agents and bin Laden starting in 1994, when bin Laden lived in Khartoum.

* Bin Laden met the director of the Iraqi mukhabarat in 1996 in Khartoum, according to Mr. Powell.

* An al Qaeda operative now held by the U.S. confessed that in the mid-1990s, bin Laden had forged an agreement with Saddam's men to cease all terrorist activities against the Iraqi dictator, Mr. Powell told the United Nations.

* In 1999 the Guardian, a British newspaper, reported that Farouk Hijazi, a senior officer in Iraq's mukhabarat, had journeyed deep into the icy mountains near Kandahar, Afghanistan, in December 1998 to meet with al Qaeda men. Mr. Hijazi is "thought to have offered bin Laden asylum in Iraq," the Guardian reported.

* In October 2000, another Iraqi intelligence operative, Salah Suleiman, was arrested near the Afghan border by Pakistani authorities, according to Jane's Foreign Report, a respected international newsletter. Jane's reported that Suleiman was shuttling between Iraqi intelligence and Ayman al Zawahiri, now al Qaeda's No. 2 man.

(Why are all of those meetings significant? The London Observer reports that FBI investigators cite a captured al Qaeda field manual in Afghanistan, which "emphasizes the value of conducting discussions about pending terrorist attacks face to face, rather than by electronic means.")

* As recently as 2001, Iraq's embassy in Pakistan was used as a "liaison" between the Iraqi dictator and al Qaeda, Mr. Powell told the United Nations.

* Spanish investigators have uncovered documents seized from Yusuf Galan -- who is charged by a Spanish court with being "directly involved with the preparation and planning" of the Sept. 11 attacks -- that show the terrorist was invited to a party at the Iraqi embassy in Madrid. The invitation used his "al Qaeda nom de guerre," London's Independent reports.

* An Iraqi defector to Turkey, known by his cover name as "Abu Mohammed," told Gwynne Roberts of the Sunday Times of London that he saw bin Laden's fighters in camps in Iraq in 1997. At the time, Mohammed was a colonel in Saddam's Fedayeen. He described an encounter at Salman Pak, the training facility southeast of Baghdad. At that vast compound run by Iraqi intelligence, Muslim militants trained to hijack planes with knives -- on a full-size Boeing 707. Col. Mohammed recalls his first visit to Salman Pak this way: "We were met by Colonel Jamil Kamil, the camp manager, and Major Ali Hawas. I noticed that a lot of people were queuing for food. (The major) said to me: 'You'll have nothing to do with these people. They are Osama bin Laden's group and the PKK and Mojahedin-e Khalq.'"

* In 1998, Abbas al-Janabi, a longtime aide to Saddam's son Uday, defected to the West. At the time, he repeatedly told reporters that there was a direct connection between Iraq and al Qaeda.

*The Sunday Times found a Saddam loyalist in a Kurdish prison who claims to have been Dr. Zawahiri's bodyguard during his 1992 visit with Saddam in Baghdad. Dr. Zawahiri was a close associate of bin Laden at the time and was present at the founding of al Qaeda in 1989.

* Following the defeat of the Taliban, almost two dozen bin Laden associates "converged on Baghdad and established a base of operations there," Mr. Powell told the United Nations in February 2003. From their Baghdad base, the secretary said, they supervised the movement of men, materiel and money for al Qaeda's global network.

* In 2001, an al Qaeda member "bragged that the situation in Iraq was 'good,'" according to intelligence made public by Mr. Powell.

* That same year, Saudi Arabian border guards arrested two al Qaeda members entering the kingdom from Iraq.

* Abu Musaab al-Zarqawi oversaw an al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan, Mr. Powell told the United Nations. His specialty was poisons. Wounded in fighting with U.S. forces, he sought medical treatment in Baghdad in May 2002. When Zarqawi recovered, he restarted a training camp in northern Iraq. Zarqawi's Iraq cell was later tied to the October 2002 murder of Lawrence Foley, an official of the U.S. Agency for International Development, in Amman, Jordan. The captured assassin confessed that he received orders and funds from Zarqawi's cell in Iraq, Mr. Powell said. His accomplice escaped to Iraq.

*Zarqawi met with military chief of al Qaeda, Mohammed Ibrahim Makwai (aka Saif al-Adel) in Iran in February 2003, according to intelligence sources cited by the Washington Post.

* Mohammad Atef, the head of al Qaeda's military wing until the U.S. killed him in Afghanistan in November 2001, told a senior al Qaeda member now in U.S. custody that the terror network needed labs outside of Afghanistan to manufacture chemical weapons, Mr. Powell said. "Where did they go, where did they look?" said the secretary. "They went to Iraq."

* Abu Abdullah al-Iraqi was sent to Iraq by bin Laden to purchase poison gases several times between 1997 and 2000. He called his relationship with Saddam's regime "successful," Mr. Powell told the United Nations.

* Mohamed Mansour Shahab, a smuggler hired by Iraq to transport weapons to bin Laden in Afghanistan, was arrested by anti-Hussein Kurdish forces in May, 2000. He later told his story to American intelligence and a reporter for the New Yorker magazine.

* Documents found among the debris of the Iraqi Intelligence Center show that Baghdad funded the Allied Democratic Forces, a Ugandan terror group led by an Islamist cleric linked to bin Laden. According to a London's Daily Telegraph, the organization offered to recruit "youth to train for the jihad" at a "headquarters for international holy warrior network" to be established in Baghdad.

* Mullah Melan Krekar, ran a terror group (the Ansar al-Islam) linked to both bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. Mr. Krekar admitted to a Kurdish newspaper that he met bin Laden in Afghanistan and other senior al Qaeda officials. His acknowledged meetings with bin Laden go back to 1988. When he organized Ansar al Islam in 2001 to conduct suicide attacks on Americans, "three bin Laden operatives showed up with a gift of $300,000 'to undertake jihad,'" Newsday reported. Mr. Krekar is now in custody in the Netherlands. His group operated in portion of northern Iraq loyal to Saddam Hussein -- and attacked independent Kurdish groups hostile to Saddam. A spokesman for the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan told a United Press International correspondent that Mr. Krekar's group was funded by "Saddam Hussein's regime in Baghdad."

* After October 2001, hundreds of al Qaeda fighters are believed to have holed up in the Ansar al-Islam's strongholds inside northern Iraq.

Some skeptics dismiss the emerging evidence of a longstanding link between Iraq and al Qaeda by contending that Saddam ran a secular dictatorship hated by Islamists like bin Laden.

In fact, there are plenty of "Stalin-Roosevelt" partnerships between international terrorists and Muslim dictators. Saddam and bin Laden had common enemies, common purposes and interlocking needs. They shared a powerful hate for America and the Saudi royal family. They both saw the Gulf War as a turning point. Saddam suffered a crushing defeat which he had repeatedly vowed to avenge. Bin Laden regards the U.S. as guilty of war crimes against Iraqis and believes that non-Muslims shouldn't have military bases on the holy sands of Arabia. Al Qaeda's avowed goal for the past ten years has been the removal of American forces from Saudi Arabia, where they stood in harm's way solely to contain Saddam.

The most compelling reason for bin Laden to work with Saddam is money. Al Qaeda operatives have testified in federal courts that the terror network was always desperate for cash. Senior employees fought bitterly about the $100 difference in pay between Egyptian and Saudis (the Egyptians made more). One al Qaeda member, who was connected to the 1998 embassy bombings, told a U.S. federal court how bitter he was that bin Laden could not pay for his pregnant wife to see a doctor.

Bin Laden's personal wealth alone simply is not enough to support a profligate global organization. Besides, bin Laden's fortune is probably not as large as some imagine. Informed estimates put bin Laden's pre-Sept. 11, 2001 wealth at perhaps $30 million. $30 million is the budget of a small school district, not a global terror conglomerate. Meanwhile, Forbes estimated Saddam's personal fortune at $2 billion.

So a common enemy, a shared goal and powerful need for cash seem to have forged an alliance between Saddam and bin Laden. CIA Director George Tenet recently told the Senate Intelligence Committee: "Iraq has in the past provided training in document forgery and bomb making to al Qaeda. It also provided training in poisons and gasses to two al Qaeda associates; one of these [al Qaeda] associates characterized the relationship as successful. Mr. Chairman, this information is based on a solid foundation of intelligence. It comes to us from credible and reliable sources. Much of it is corroborated by multiple sources."

http://www.techcentralstation.com/092503F.html

after the intelligence debacle concerning missed items prior to 9/11 AND the failure to locate any WMD's...I'm supposed to trust NOW in these same intelligence sources?

But I think there was evidence linking Saddam to terrorist groups other then Al Qaeda before we invaded!

Abdul Rahman Yasin, who was indicted for mixing the chemicals for the bomb used in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, which killed six New Yorkers and injured over 1,000. Yasin fled to Baghdad after the attack, where he was given sanctuary and lived for years afterward.

Khala Khadar al-Salahat, a top Palestinian deputy to Abu Nidal, who reportedly furnished Libyan agents with the Semtex explosive used to blow up Pan Am Flight 103 in December 1988. The attack killed all 259 passengers, including 189 Americans. Al-Salahat was in Baghdad last April and was taken into custody by U.S. Marines.

Abu Nidal, whose terror organization is credited with dozens of attacks that killed over 400 people, including 10 Americans, and wounding 788 more. Nidal lived in Baghdad from 1999 till August 2002, when he was found shot to death in his state-supplied home.

Abu Abbas, who masterminded the 1985 hijacking of the Achille Lauro cruise ship, during which wheelchair-bound American Leon Klinghoffer was pushed over the side to his death. U.S. troops captured Abbas in Baghdad on April 14, 2003. He died in U.S. custody last week.

Abu Musab al Zarqawi, who ran an Ansar al-Islam terrorist training camp in northern Iraq and reportedly arranged the October 2002 assassination of U.S. diplomat Lawrence Foley in Jordan. Al Zarqawi is still at large.

Ramzi Yousef, who entered the U.S. on an Iraqi passport and was the architect of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing as well as Operation Bojinka, a foiled plot to explode 12 U.S. airliners over the Pacific. Bojinka was later adopted by Yousef’s cousin Khalid Shaikh Mohammed as the blueprint for the Sept. 11 attacks.

Arrested in Pakistan in 1995, Yousef is currently serving a triple life sentence in Colorado’s Supermax federal lockup.

Mahmoud Besharat, the Palestinian businessman who traveled to Baghdad in March 2002 to collect funding from Saddam for the Palestinian Intifada. Besharat and others disbursed the funds in payments of $10,000 to $25,000 to West Bank families of terrorists who died trying to kill Israelis.

After Saddam announced his Intifada reward plan, 28 Palestinian homicide bombers killed 211 Israelis in attacks that also killed 12 Americans. A total of 1,209 people were injured.

http://www.insignificantthoughts.com/index.php?p=54

after the intelligence debacle concerning missed items prior to 9/11 AND the failure to locate any WMD's...I'm supposed to trust NOW in these same intelligence sources?

If you don't believe them, then you don't believe them - no data I provide will change your mind. I don't think prior bogus intelligence means this amount of data is automatically wrong, but that's just my opinion. This isn't just one connection, this is MANY connections. It's doubtful that they're all wrong.

Good Point DK! But I think there was evidence linking Saddam to terrorist groups other then Al Qaeda before we invaded! Correct me if I am wrong! I also think it was something that was justified but I think going through the U.N. severly screwed things up! I would say there is more doubt because of it then not! Just my opinion though!:D

notice that I only mentioned iraq and AQ. It's already been established by a majority of americans that paying homicide bombers families is support of terrorism and terrorist groups in palestine. I'd be wasting my time trying to convince anyone otherwise.

It also seems a bit hypocritical to me, that after campaigning on 'no nation building', that the removal of 'a very bad man' now justifies invading iraq when the primary reason given to the world has been debunked and all but dismissed now.

If GW Bush felt the need to be written in the history books as a 'war president', I don't see why he couldn't have made the case of just the UN violations alone. It didn't seem to matter one way or the other that they didn't go along with it anyway, since we're obviously there, and his administration wouldn't be trying to duck the WMD issue every other week.

Originally posted by jimnyc
This isn't just one connection, this is MANY connections. It's doubtful that they're all wrong.

and yet, for the WMD issue, everyones intelligence was wrong.

do you see the point I'm trying to make? we relied on dozens of intelligence agencies and got caught with our pants down, why should we automatically do so again?

thats the fool me once thing.

and yet, for the WMD issue, everyones intelligence was wrong.

do you see the point I'm trying to make? we relied on dozens of intelligence agencies and got caught with our pants down, why should we automatically do so again?

thats the fool me once thing.

So we should disregard all these connections?

I think they should all be suspect, until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, not just assumed to be correct.

It's been stated that Bush has infuriated the 'entire' Arab community with the war on terrorism. People have stated that the WOT has only made more terrorists. They say more terrorists have arrived in Iraq since the war than were there previously. They say Iraq is a hotbed for violence and that the majority of Iraqi's are against occupation. Some say it'll be many years before things die down in Iraq and democracy will never take place. I can go on and on and on with things like this that I have read.

I'll chalk it up to suspect rhetoric and assume it's incorrect until factually proven otherwise. So then if we eliminate everything we consider 'suspect' we are left with these facts:

Saddam refused proper negotiations for 12 years.
The USA invaded Iraq.
Usay and Quday are dead.
Saddam has been captured and removed from power.
Rebuilding efforts have begun.

Looks good to me!

Forum List

Back