Video games and real-life shooter violence

Do shooter video games increase the number of mass killings we are seeing in America?

• Yes, violent video games lead to real-life violence

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No, they're just games, for God's sake

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Doesn't matter, free speech is free speech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's not just the games, it's movies and novels too

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • There should be minimum age limits on violent games and movies

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • They said the same thing about comic books, and that was pretty silly

• They said the same thing about comic books, and they were right: the Crypt Keeper was evil

• Can't do anything about violent games and movies: they sell, too much money is involved

• There is LESS violence if they are sitting in front of a computer at home

• I blame the parents

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Violent movies and video games are enjoyed by people around the world, yet only in the US do we have an epidemic of mass shootings.

So it's not the culture.

It's the guns, stupid.

WARNING - Making parts.

And no guns even.

And this is supposed to prove, what?

Merely illustrative of the influence on other types of murder, the kind that get no real press because there is no political agenda attached to it.

Do you not think people have the internet in other countries?

Do you not think people in other countries play video games and watch movies?

Grow up.

Nothing could be more irrelevant to me than what happens in other countries. I live in this one.

Grow up? You're the one using a comic book character as an avatar. A violent one at that.

Violent imagery has reached a level of vileness not seen in the past. From blood and brain splatter to secret codes in popular games to open rape scenarios.
Add that many have lost the separation of fantasy vs. reality as they soak every waking minute into social media sites that damage young minds before learning proper social interaction.
The creators openly admitted it.
Now a host of school lockdowns nationwide as threats are made against schools on social media by sociopath users.
Who the hell would have even entertained a threat decades ago?
My opinion is it is a contributing factor of many.

The same violent games and movies we have here, they have in every other country around the world. Yet we are the only country with mass shooting epidemics. So what makes us different from France or Israel or the UK, who gets the same movies, tv shows, and video games we get?

It is not the fault of the Constitution that you people screw up everything you touch.

Merely illustrative of the influence on other types of murder, the kind that get no real press because there is no political agenda attached to it.

They get the same video games worldwide that we get here; yet only the US experiences mass shootings. So if video games are the constant, then they're not the variable.

Nothing could be more irrelevant to me than what happens in other countries. I live in this one.

Actually it's completely relevant to what we're discussing because video games are the constant; meaning they get the same video games in Japan and Canada that we get in the US. So since the games are the same, yet mass shootings occur in just the US, it's not the games that are causing the mass shootings, otherwise there'd be mass shootings in Japan and Canada.

Grow up? You're the one using a comic book character as an avatar. A violent one at that.

And you're a Conservative troll...so what?

It is not the fault of the Constitution that you people screw up everything you touch.

Again; the same violent video games in the US are played in Japan and Canada, yet only the US has mass shootings.

So why are you blaming video games and movies?

They get the same video games worldwide that we get here; yet only the US experiences mass shootings. So if video games are the constant, then they're not the variable.

The cultures are diverse, Your Brilliance. Therein lie your variables.

Actually it's completely relevant to what we're discussing because video games are the constant; meaning they get the same video games in Japan and Canada that we get in the US. So since the games are the same, yet mass shootings occur in just the US, it's not the games that are causing the mass shootings, otherwise there'd be mass shootings in Japan and Canada.

See above.

And you're a Conservative troll...so what?

I'm not a conservative at all, troll or otherwise, but liberal.

Not "a" liberal, mind you.

Very interesting! I read the whole thing. I was not surprised --- but many will be --- at how MUCH of America's entertainment budget is soaked up by video games. 54% with the other candidates in the pie being movies, DVDs, and music. (Sports was not included, nor TV, however.) How the growth line is a 45% slant up. How many people are employed -- and how much they make.

I was surprised at the relatively high age of the game buyers -- 37 -- and don't believe it correctly reflects the players. I expect a lot of those are parents buying for their teenage kids.

The cultures are diverse, Your Brilliance. Therein lie your variables.

So then it isn't the video games. So what about American culture is different than English culture? They play Call of Duty in England. They watch Game of Thrones and Walking Dead in England. They watch violent movies in England. Yet they don't have mass shootings in England. Why?

I'm not a conservative at all, troll or otherwise, but liberal.
Not "a" liberal, mind you.

LOL. Whatever you tell yourself....

Bloomberg right now is dealing with the gaming and Trump's conference going on now. They are saying that Nikolas Cruz was known to be a very intensely active gamer with the most violent shooter game (the speaker seemed to hint it was Call of Duty but there are others). Of course, what else did the kid have to do, being expelled and unemployed.

Still, that perhaps explains the president's interest: he would know that about Cruz.

Bloomberg right now is dealing with the gaming and Trump's conference going on now. They are saying that Nikolas Cruz was known to be a very intensely active gamer with the most violent shooter game (the speaker seemed to hint it was Call of Duty but there are others). Of course, what else did the kid have to do, being expelled and unemployed.

Still, that perhaps explains the president's interest: he would know that about Cruz.

Call of Duty is sold worldwide.

They play Call of Duty in Japan, Korea, Israel, France, the UK, and the US.

But only the US has mass shootings.

So video games aren't the cause; something else is. What is different in the US than in any of those other places? The guns.

Yeah but we're training up a new generation that will be prepared to fight evil gorillas that try to drop barrels on them as they climb ladders.

I will keep saying it over and over and over BLAME THE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS these kids are put on!

upload_2018-3-8_13-8-12.png

http://www.drugawareness.org

Read the video titles , that's what it's all about and until people pay attention to popping a pill in their mouth for everything is causing multiple, multiple issues in kids and adults.

there have been violent movies for a long time
I play video games..I'm not a killer

There is desensitization associated with simulated violence. Look no further than a wartime Army study that showed troops tended to shoot enemy more readily when trained using human silhouettes rather than, standard round target. However, making the leap from desensitizing youth to mass shooter is huge.

there are violent movies in other countries

& violent video games in other countries

& mentally ill people. in other countries

however, the ONLY difference between the amt of mass murders we have here & the lack of mass killings in other countries is the ease of availability of the instrument to carry them out.

I believe the popularity of those games is an indicator of a deeply-rooted social pathology that should be closely examined. I wonder if these games are as popular in other countries as they are here in the U.S. And if so, which countries?

I believe the popularity of those games is an indicator of a deeply-rooted social pathology that should be closely examined. I wonder if these games are as popular in other countries as they are here in the U.S. And if so, which countries?

Video games are universally popular.

It's not the culture; it's the guns.

ummm, japan is king when it comes to actually making the games.

ummm, japan is king when it comes to actually making the games.

Yes, Japan is king --- I thought it was just me that saw that. :)

I don't know the numbers. I do know PUBG, a very violent online game in which 99 out of 100 people have to be killed some way for the one person left to win, is so popular worldwide that the game is divided into five world regions currently, and they make matches based on ability of the 100 within seconds. Twitch and Mixer, the online game streaming sites, are completely language independent, so there are hundreds of gamers streaming their play in all imaginable languages mixed together and a number I had no idea existed --- remarkable to see, what a Tower of Babel. Thousands of people watch the more popular players streaming their play and give them money and join the "channel" as members. Some of these guys (and a few women) make their living this way. It's worldwide: talk about globalization.

Forum List

Back