Veterans and Children: NOT Just Homeless at the Holidays

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
Republican Gov. Rick Scott claimed, “I care completely” about Homelessness following his proposal to cut ALL funding for Homeless Programs in Florida.

Scott was also photographed passing out Thanksgiving dinners in a Naples, Florida shelter, which fed 7,000 families during that holiday week.

Scott said “I care completely about all these programs,” but reality is that his budget cuts “slashed funding to some veteran and farm surplus programs that helped the homeless.” [1]

One Jacksonville homeless shelter official stated that Scott “zeroed out all homeless funding” which totaled $7 million that helped sustain programs dedicated to homelessness prevention, housing initiatives, and programs that “re-house” people once they’re on the street. The official added, “Not only that, he took out the line items so it can never be funded again.” [Ibid]

Scott also vetoed $12 million in funding that the state legislature had passed to support the 17,000 homeless veterans in Florida.

When I learned of the homeless situation in my backyard in Central Florida, I began volunteering with NEW BEGINNINGS New Beginnings the only homeless recovery program in south Lake County [a once thriving citrus community], but I had already committed to doing something about homelessness in my District:

read more Veterans and Children: NOT Just Homeless at the Holidays | Veterans Today

Lake County Schools report the following number of homeless students:

2005-06: 122
2006-07: 195
2007-08: 324
2008-09: 775
2009-10: 2,162

Steve Smith’s “biggest concern is that we cannot keep up with the growing demand and provide the necessary recovery resources. The schools do a monthly headcount and state the rate is growing at an alarming rate!”

Last edited:
Florida gonna dump its homeless on other states...
:mad:
Fort Lauderdale will buy one-way tickets for homeless to leave city
Wednesday, 12.21.11 - Commissioners approved the $25,000 program Tuesday
Fort Lauderdale commissioners approved a $25,000 program Tuesday to buy one-way bus tickets for homeless people who have family willing to care for them in other parts of the country.Commissioners voted 4-1 for the program, which will be paid for through the Florida Law Enforcement Trust Fund, which is money confiscated from criminals.

Vice Mayor Bobby DuBose opposed the program, saying he thought there were better ways to use dollars to help the homeless. He was concerned some homeless people may abuse the program and use it as a cheap means for a vacation.

Under the program, a homeless participant would have to have a family member willing to take them in at their destination. Any participant would only be able to use the program once. Palm Beach and Broward counties have similar programs.

Read more here: Fort Lauderdale will buy one-way tickets for homeless to leave city - Fort Lauderdale - MiamiHerald.com

Forum List

Back