Veteran suicides

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
Every day, 22 veterans take their own lives. That's a suicide every 65 minutes. Veterans are killing themselves at more than double the rate of the civilian population. Records from 48 states show the annual suicide rate among veterans is about 30 for every 100,000 of the population, compared to a civilian rate of about 14 per 100,000.
162068_600.jpg

The biggest battle after they come home...

What comes from realizing you were duped into joining up in the first place then became the private thugs for some corporation protecting their interests somewhere.

What comes from realizing you were duped into joining up in the first place then became the private thugs for some corporation protecting their interests somewhere.
If everyone had your cockeyed point of view there would be no one in the military to protect our way of life and from the looks of it you would be wearing a burka.

My heart goes out to the vets and their families. They give so much and our society pretty much turns away from them. And those vets who saw any degree of fighting have it much worse.

IMO, no vet should ever have to worry about a job, housing or health care.

The answer to the VA mess is to issue an ID card to every single vet that gives them free health care, any place they go, any doctor, any hospital, for the rest of their lives. And yes we can afford it.

If everyone had your cockeyed point of view there would be no one in the military to protect our way of life and from the looks of it you would be wearing a burka.

Ask combat deployed US Marines if they agree or disagree. If you haven't served you really have nothing to say here.

Ask combat deployed US Marines if they agree or disagree. If you haven't served you really have nothing to say here.
I have and it is a calling to give back to this country that has given so much to others. There are those who may not feel that way, that is one of the privileges of being in the US having the ability to put down those whp protect your right to speak your mind.

Last edited:
228,875 - number of U.S. troops who’ve served in either Iraq or Afghanistan with PTSD. 7 % of American population who are vets. But they account for 20 % of suicides in America.
A price paid to spread democracy and keep the oil and contracts flowing.

Shut the FUCK UP Dumbass.

Suicide is rampant today because of two things:

First and foremost, the separation of the individual from God. Thus rendering the individual ALONE... therefore setting the individual into HOPELESSNESS!

Second, the litany of addled, irrational notions common to the Ideological Left wherein everyone is entitled to everything and that whatever it is one wants must be acquired NOW or if it's not, then it's not FAIR, which is supplemented by an endless train of drugs, which drive the individual farther from viability, thus closer to catastrophe.

The United States have always shown honor to veterans, but only created the appearance. In fact, the U.S. is a country where you have to pay for everything, regardless of what you previously did for this countr

It is because they have done so many combat tours. In Vietnam, most combat troops served one tour. Today, our volunteers are doing four, five, six tours. A ridiculous amount of exposure to combat.

I think one of the best scenes on film that captured the feeling we vets feel when we come home was that scene near the end of The Hurt Locker when he is standing in the grocery store.

No dialog, but I guarantee every vet watching that part of the movie understood it 100 percent. Whoever wrote that scene is a genius.

Then he starts telling his wife about a guy detonating a bomb and killing a bunch of kids, and it is obvious she doesn't want to hear that shit.

So you stop talking about it.

And that's how it begins.

To this day, I don't like going to hospitals even if something is literally killing me, because when they dope me up, there's a chance I'm going to start babbling about shit I don't want to talk about.

Last edited:
Too many suicides...

4 Veterans From One Indiana Guard Unit Have Committed Suicide
Oct 26, 2015 | April James spent hours at Justin's grave. In Iraq, the two National Guard soldiers needed each other to survive. That continued, in a different way, after they came home. Overwhelmed and grieving, they leaned on each other.
But it wasn't enough. In November 2013 Sgt. Justin Williams killed himself. He was 25. On a warm spring day 18 months later, April spent a laughter-filled evening with friends, then curled up with her three dogs to watch TV. Around 3 a.m., she walked to her backyard with a pistol and shot herself. With that, Sgt. April Lynn James, 32, became the fourth Evansville veteran from the Indiana Army National Guard's 163rd unit to commit suicide since returning from their 2008 tour in Iraq. Ronald Zeller was the first. He died on March 18, 2011. Then William Waller, July 5, 2013; Justin Williams, Nov. 3, 2013; and April James on May 24, 2015. "They were all the same," said Justin's father, John Williams. "All of them. Why? Why is there four from one platoon?" To the families, the suicides seemed to come with little warning. Now they see there were subtle signs all along.

indiana-national-guard-804-ts600.jpg

Indiana National Guard Soldiers of the 76th Infantry Brigade Combat Team's 163rd Field Artillery unit travel on a fire truck headed to the Evansville National Guard armory, where thousands of family and friends await their arrival​

A GOOD MEMORY

April joined the National Guard right out of high school. It surprised her family, but her friends said it was a natural fit. She was adventurous and brave -- kind of a tomboy. And the Army would pay for college. "She was one of the first people I met at the armory here in Evansville," said Shanna Rodenburg. "She was just so sweet. She really stepped in and tried to make me feel like part of the group." Shanna and April became fast friends. At that time, they were enlisted in Indiana's 113th Battalion -- the first local unit that would deploy to Afghanistan. Arriving in that war-torn country was like stepping into a different world, Shanna said.

In their first days, the friends could only linger in the tent city that would be their home that year. "We got there, and everyone was standing around, and we realized: There was no place to sit!" Shanna said. April watched in amazement as Shanna marched into the engineer's tent and built them a wooden bench. "She was so cute," Shanna said, grinning. "She said, 'We have the only place to sit here in this camp. Somebody's going to steal it. We need to put our names on this.'" Shanna carved their nicknames atop the bench. "We had that bench the whole time we were over there," Shanna said. "Everyone was so jealous of that bench." Sitting alone now on the Evansville riverfront, Shanna smiled. From a year full of pain and trauma, it's a good memory.

'ALWAYS SCANNING'

Every day, 22 veterans take their own lives. That's a suicide every 65 minutes. Veterans are killing themselves at more than double the rate of the civilian population. Records from 48 states show the annual suicide rate among veterans is about 30 for every 100,000 of the population, compared to a civilian rate of about 14 per 100,000.
162068_600.jpg

Some suicides occur for medical , social , economic and a host of other reasons .

Some people like me ...... Have been pushed and shoved into commuting suicide; as I strongly believe.

Me being under excessive Psychological pressure , being told suicide is painless , significant troubles at work , social problems and troubles with family , and being retaliated against.

My logical and rightful complaining and arguing in my defense at work and nothing being done about it.

For me it was quite evident.

Shadow 355

Too many suicides...

4 Veterans From One Indiana Guard Unit Have Committed Suicide
Oct 26, 2015 | April James spent hours at Justin's grave. In Iraq, the two National Guard soldiers needed each other to survive. That continued, in a different way, after they came home. Overwhelmed and grieving, they leaned on each other.
But it wasn't enough. In November 2013 Sgt. Justin Williams killed himself. He was 25. On a warm spring day 18 months later, April spent a laughter-filled evening with friends, then curled up with her three dogs to watch TV. Around 3 a.m., she walked to her backyard with a pistol and shot herself. With that, Sgt. April Lynn James, 32, became the fourth Evansville veteran from the Indiana Army National Guard's 163rd unit to commit suicide since returning from their 2008 tour in Iraq. Ronald Zeller was the first. He died on March 18, 2011. Then William Waller, July 5, 2013; Justin Williams, Nov. 3, 2013; and April James on May 24, 2015. "They were all the same," said Justin's father, John Williams. "All of them. Why? Why is there four from one platoon?" To the families, the suicides seemed to come with little warning. Now they see there were subtle signs all along.

indiana-national-guard-804-ts600.jpg

Indiana National Guard Soldiers of the 76th Infantry Brigade Combat Team's 163rd Field Artillery unit travel on a fire truck headed to the Evansville National Guard armory, where thousands of family and friends await their arrival​

A GOOD MEMORY

April joined the National Guard right out of high school. It surprised her family, but her friends said it was a natural fit. She was adventurous and brave -- kind of a tomboy. And the Army would pay for college. "She was one of the first people I met at the armory here in Evansville," said Shanna Rodenburg. "She was just so sweet. She really stepped in and tried to make me feel like part of the group." Shanna and April became fast friends. At that time, they were enlisted in Indiana's 113th Battalion -- the first local unit that would deploy to Afghanistan. Arriving in that war-torn country was like stepping into a different world, Shanna said.

In their first days, the friends could only linger in the tent city that would be their home that year. "We got there, and everyone was standing around, and we realized: There was no place to sit!" Shanna said. April watched in amazement as Shanna marched into the engineer's tent and built them a wooden bench. "She was so cute," Shanna said, grinning. "She said, 'We have the only place to sit here in this camp. Somebody's going to steal it. We need to put our names on this.'" Shanna carved their nicknames atop the bench. "We had that bench the whole time we were over there," Shanna said. "Everyone was so jealous of that bench." Sitting alone now on the Evansville riverfront, Shanna smiled. From a year full of pain and trauma, it's a good memory.

'ALWAYS SCANNING'

Just to make a point - those Soldiers from one guard unit committing suicide.

What was the underlying cause ?

Medical professionals need to find out!

Shadow 355

162068_600.jpg

While veteran suicide is high and definitely needs to be addressed your 22 a day is an oft misquoted (out of context) number. The rate (again still far, far too high) is roughly one per day. Also the highest number of suicides are not from the returning combat veterans but from those who never saw combat.

http://taskandpurpose.com/truth-22-veteran-suicides-day/

Shut the FUCK UP Dumbass.

Suicide is rampant today because of two things:

First and foremost, the separation of the individual from God. Thus rendering the individual ALONE... therefore setting the individual into HOPELESSNESS!

Second, the litany of addled, irrational notions common to the Ideological Left wherein everyone is entitled to everything and that whatever it is one wants must be acquired NOW or if it's not, then it's not FAIR, which is supplemented by an endless train of drugs, which drive the individual farther from viability, thus closer to catastrophe.

First of all, how do you know the faith of the veteran who commits suicide?

Second, rather than rant about the Left, why not address the actual topic of the epidemic of suicides by veterans.

I certainly felt duped, but not as a private thug for some corporations. That part is bullshit.

I still feel very proud for having served, and get very emotional when the flag passes in a parade.

What pisses me off is the politicians who say we cannot afford to take care of returning veterans.
Me, too. I have been fighting with them for six years.

I was able to get basic healthcare coverage. And I have to say, the Atlanta VA is better than I expected.

But the fact that so many vets suffering from PTSD cannot get the care they need is an embarrassment to this nation.

If we can't afford to take care of the returning vets, we can't afford to go to war.

What pisses me off is the politicians who say we cannot afford to take care of returning veterans.
Me, too. I have been fighting with them for six years.

I was able to get basic healthcare coverage. And I have to say, the Atlanta VA is better than I expected.

But the fact that so many vets suffering from PTSD cannot get the care they need is an embarrassment to this nation.

If we can't afford to take care of the returning vets, we can't afford to go to war.
It's not just PTSD vets who are being neglected. So are vets with TBIs.

Forum List

Back