Vermont Senate votes to remove slavery from Constitution

Hellbilly

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 2016
Aniyuawiya
MONTPELIER — The state Senate in Vermont — the first state to abolish adult slavery — gave preliminary approval on Wednesday to a proposal to amend the state Constitution to remove references to slavery.

The Vermont Constitution currently says no person 21 or older should serve as a slave unless bound by their own consent or "by law for the payment of debts, damages, fines, costs, or the like."

The Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of the amendment that would remove that language and add that "slavery and indentured servitude in any form are prohibited."

The change is intended to clarify the language so there is no misinterpretation amid the current troubling times, where people are experiencing an increase in hate crimes and attitudes of intolerance, said Democratic Sen. Jeanette White, D-Windham, whose committee took testimony on the proposal.

Once again my state leads the way.
Sorry cons. No slavery.

MONTPELIER — The state Senate in Vermont — the first state to abolish adult slavery — gave preliminary approval on Wednesday to a proposal to amend the state Constitution to remove references to slavery.

The Vermont Constitution currently says no person 21 or older should serve as a slave unless bound by their own consent or "by law for the payment of debts, damages, fines, costs, or the like."

The Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of the amendment that would remove that language and add that "slavery and indentured servitude in any form are prohibited."

The change is intended to clarify the language so there is no misinterpretation amid the current troubling times, where people are experiencing an increase in hate crimes and attitudes of intolerance, said Democratic Sen. Jeanette White, D-Windham, whose committee took testimony on the proposal.

Sorry cons. No slavery.
So the Vermont Senate thinks slavery is one of Vermont's big problems today? Will there be a big party when all of Vermont's slaves are set free?

Sorry cons. No slavery.
The world is now safe!

So proactive!!!

Sorry cons. No slavery.

Hmmm ... indentured servitude in any form is prohibited?

There goes State income taxes....chuckle

Sorry cons. No slavery.
They sure do lead.

Only took them 154 years to catch up to the rest of the nation which passed the 15th amendment in 1865

This would be meaninful only if slavery were an issue. It's not. This has the same meaning as removing the law prohibiting bathing on Sundays.

Okay....no more slaves in Vermont.
One state down, 56 more to go.

LMAO and since there haven't been any slaves for 150 years it should pass in all States.

Looks like folks will have to free their slaves in Vermont.

Sorry cons. No slavery.

Slavery is actually a liberal idea, not a conservative one.

But, in any event, congratulations to the people of Vermont as they release their slaves. Will the state be issuing 40 acres and a mule to all of the newly freed men?

Sorry cons. No slavery.
Leads the way in useless virtue signaling idiocy, perhaps. I didn't know slavery was such a problem in
your blighted tree lined lunatic asylum (me son went to college there, I know a bit about the place).

Maybe now you'll finally set free all those Canucks you've had making your Maple plantations run.
How about that, syrup sucker!

This is the second stupidest thing to come out of Vermont behind Bernie Sanders (and you, of course).

It is good to see Vermont giving up the practice of slavery 154 years after WHITE MEN died to abolish it. I am glad they are spending time doing this. It isn't Progressive Virtue Signaling at all, but real work. They needed to get rid of those slaves. It is good the have the luxury of time to worry about words hurting people. They are so dangerous.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back