Vegas murders motive, my guess

Seriously though, it seems to me at this stage that he did what he did because he was mentally ill and an asshole. I'm not sure that trying to assign a motive to it beyond that is really all that productive.

The time and energy the government puts into playing criminal whack-a-mole with gun-control laws should really be put into serious research on the brain and mental health.

I say he was mentally ill no matter what the motivation. I admit to wanting the know that motivation, particularly if it came via an enemy of the United States.

Re research on mental health, I wonder if it should be less research and more of a willingness to put troubled folks, once fully and properly adjudicated, into mental institutions, which need not be the awful places as they sometimes were in the past. This seems to me well within a state's right to legislate. The alternative seems to be to let the jails handle them or they walk into walls homeless. Of course, I doubt that would have stopped the asshole in Vegas. Others, perhaps. Tons of petty crime, absolutely. A tricky civil rights issue to be sure.

The Sheriff says it possibly was "radicalization".

Do we know more than the Sheriff?

That's rather vague of the Sheriff. Any act like this is radical.

Do you know more than the Sheriff?

I am quoting the Sheriff, I agree with the Sheriff.

On the contrary, it seems that many here think they know more than the Sheriff.

This is the meaning of radicalisation and the Sheriff could not have been more clear!

-"Radicalization (or radicalisation) is a process by which an individual, or group comes to adopt increasingly extreme political, social, or religious ideals and aspirations that reject or undermine the status quo or undermine contemporary ideas and expressions of the nation."-

Like I said, vague. What group, what ideals, what aspirations?

The U.S. has serious issues when part of the population is under the belief that mass murders are jihads and MUST be related to Islam. People really are being poisoned by some of the fake news sources.

Regardless of this shooters motives, ISIS has been inspired by his effectiveness.

The battle for Fallujah lasted 47 days and was easily the bloodiest battle of the Iraq war. We lost 95 & had 560 wounded Americans in the Fallujah battle. ISIS lost ~1700.

One crazy dude at a Vegas concert killed 59 & wounded 530 Americans in 10 minutes.

Sometimes ... people just be crazy.
I remember the Texas University tower shooter, a smart white guy, he had a brain tumor that made him prone to shoot his wife and mother, then moved on to murder 14 innocent people. SO, if we can't determine who might be a mass shooter, why not repeal the 2nd Amendment?

Because rational people don't try to punish everyone for the acts of a scant few.
Please. Punish? How so? I am not asking to whip people and put them in a iron maiden.

Seriously though, it seems to me at this stage that he did what he did because he was mentally ill and an asshole. I'm not sure that trying to assign a motive to it beyond that is really all that productive.

The time and energy the government puts into playing criminal whack-a-mole with gun-control laws should really be put into serious research on the brain and mental health.

I say he was mentally ill no matter what the motivation. I admit to wanting the know that motivation, particularly if it came via an enemy of the United States.

Re research on mental health, I wonder if it should be less research and more of a willingness to put troubled folks, once fully and properly adjudicated, into mental institutions, which need not be the awful places as they sometimes were in the past. This seems to me well within a state's right to legislate. The alternative seems to be to let the jails handle them or they walk into walls homeless. Of course, I doubt that would have stopped the asshole in Vegas. Others, perhaps. Tons of petty crime, absolutely. A tricky civil rights issue to be sure.

The Sheriff says it possibly was "radicalization".

Do we know more than the Sheriff?

That's rather vague of the Sheriff. Any act like this is radical.

Do you know more than the Sheriff?

I am quoting the Sheriff, I agree with the Sheriff.

On the contrary, it seems that many here think they know more than the Sheriff.

This is the meaning of radicalisation and the Sheriff could not have been more clear!

-"Radicalization (or radicalisation) is a process by which an individual, or group comes to adopt increasingly extreme political, social, or religious ideals and aspirations that reject or undermine the status quo or undermine contemporary ideas and expressions of the nation."-

Like I said, vague.

Vague?

What else do you need??

A beheading? on a platter??

My God, some are dense!

So it's been nearly a week and the police and media are unable to determine the motive for the murderous carnage.

I wondered about the ISIS claim, but with no sign of jihad, I too was stumped.

Then, this morning, I heard a story on an NPR station (I'm not finding a link) about a branch of radical jihadists in Catalonia, near Barcelona, Spain. The Imam encouraged followers to embrace a western lifestyle in order to blend in, including drinking alcohol and eating bacon. I got the impression of a more clandestine version of Islamic terrorism. Leave 'em baffled for Allah? They were thought to be responsible for attacks in Europe before their mosque was shut down.

This May, 2017 NPR article states outright that when ISIS claims responsibility for a connection to terrorism in the West, they're telling the truth: What Does It Mean When ISIS Claims Responsibility For An Attack?

My best guess with what I know at this point is he turn radical jihadist, inspired by the teachings of that Imam.
Hell we haven't heard anything medical as of yet, hell for all we know he could have developed a brain tumor or had long term undiagnosed syphilis which will affect the brain.

He was eating prescription Diazapam with an alcohol chaser.

Yes, and deaths due to Valium/alcohol overdoes are soaring. I've not seen evidence it leads to mass murder, though I'm sure it did help either.

It can in rare cases lead to thoughts of suicide, delusional thinking and the un-inhibiting of pre-existing violent tendencies.

Let's hope extremely rare.

Yeah, 'cuz a 64 year old is inclined to mass murder when he's getting unlimited Pinay sex.

Bullshit!

I remember the Texas University tower shooter, a smart white guy, he had a brain tumor that made him prone to shoot his wife and mother, then moved on to murder 14 innocent people. SO, if we can't determine who might be a mass shooter, why not repeal the 2nd Amendment?

Because rational people don't try to punish everyone for the acts of a scant few.
Please. Punish? How so? I am not asking to whip people and put them in a iron maiden.

No, but you are asking for a removal of a natural right from 300,000,000+ American citizens over the behavior of a few crazies.

The U.S. has serious issues when part of the population is under the belief that mass murders are jihads and MUST be related to Islam. People really are being poisoned by some of the fake news sources.

No one said all mass murders are jihadists. Relax.

You know, I don't know why this dude did what he did, I hope that they find something to explain this soon, because right now it's kind of a mystery.

However..............................

Dunno if the ISIL connection is so far fetched. Why? His girlfriend who is an Australian citizen was born in the PI, and she was back in the PI when the attack happened.

Currently, the fastest growing territory for radical Islamic terrorists seems to be in the PI.

Wonder if his old lady put him up to this?

50 - 10mg Valium/XANAX? With booze? ah.....not much. Still got up/down to his room, gambled for many hours. That would have "mellowed" him out IMVHO. Only one prescription noted June 2017? yawn.

I have known Engineering Managers who eat 10mg pain pills (Tramadol) like candy and go home to get into the really good stuff (Vicodin/Demoral). They still show for work. Back pain, Migraines, any excuse to hurt.

Paddock is not even on the radar of REAL USA pill users. IMVHO of course. edit: if reports are true (only Xanax). If it was heavy anti-depressants ..... and he stopped. Whole other story.

Regardless of this shooters motives, ISIS has been inspired by his effectiveness.

The battle for Fallujah lasted 47 days and was easily the bloodiest battle of the Iraq war. We lost 95 & had 560 wounded Americans in the Fallujah battle.

One crazy dude at a Vegas concert killed 59 & wounded 530 Americans in 10 minutes.

Technically I think he killed 58 (so far). He was #59. I suppose he killed that one too? you are correct (at least that is what they are telling us, for now).

Fox News is working overtime to try to paint this guy other than what he is. Their core audience. A 65 year old white man with some money. "There HAS to be some motive that paints him as something other than our audience."

Maybe his motive is he is a 64 year old man that doesn't like country music. Nobody knows at this point.

Last edited:

No, but you are asking for a removal of a natural right from 300,000,000+ American citizens over the behavior of a few crazies.
Please lay off the pejoratives. I may be crazy, but I won't hurt you, I just want to make our nation great (and safe) again.

Forum List

Back