VA Middle School Students Assigned to Do Research for Obama Campaign

Should we expect anything less? I mean really, is there anything this President wont do?

Did Obama assign this work to the students?

Doesn't appear so, but that won't stop his staff from pouring over their homework to see if they can use any of it. Creepy.

That teacher should be fired. She is not teaching them anything, merely training them to let others do their thinking for them. She's a brainwasher, not a teacher. The message she's sending is that Republicans are bad amd Obama is good. I wonder if the class sang that disgusting song about Obama as she handed out the assignment. uh uh uh Barack Hussein Obama uh uh uh barf

I had a hippie teacher in the 70s who taught a current events class. One day for illustration purposes about some point I have since forgotten, he used a current candidate for Congress as an example of some kind of evildoing. He stipulated that he did not know if that candidate was actually guilty of the wrongdoing he was saying, but he went on to paint a very negative picture of that candidate.

That candidate was a Republican. And it so happened I was on his campaign staff.

So I gave my teacher both barrels.

:badgrin:

Good for you. Did you receive a failing grade as a result?

The notion that the middle schoolers are doing research "for" the Obama campaign is absurd on its face. There is approximately zero chance that they will uncover previously non-public useful information.

This sounds like a potentially worthwhile class project that Fox News and others have savagely attacked in their attempt to entertain and alarm their audience. Are teachers who try to design engaging curricula on politics and government expected to have to defend their choices from national media machines?

Telling children to uncover dirt on Republicans so she can send it to the Obama campaign isn't teaching. It's complete bullshit.

I recall doing this in school. We were told to watch news and read papers to gather information on the issues. Then we had discussions and debate. Finally, we chose our candidates and held a mock election. This teacher is merely brainwashing them and stopping them from free thinking. She shouldn't be anywhere near children with her tunnel vision and bias.

However, if it is one sided, then it is not right. 50/50 seems fair to me, even if the side assigned is not the side the student would prefer. It's good mental exercise to have to argue for a position you disagree with. I had to do that many times in debates in school.

I'm all for balance, but I just don't think that it is practical or necessary in this context. When I was in elementary school we were required as a class assignment to write our Congressman (who happened to be a Republican). I doubt it occurred to our teacher to find us a Democrat that we could write to if we preferred. There wasn't any need. This kind of Fox News scrutiny wouldn't lead to more balance even if Fox News was itself balanced, it will just discourage teachers from effectively teaching about politics at all.

Writing to a congress person is completely different than stumping for them. In this case, the teacher wanted the children to dig up dirt on Republicans. No choice for the students as to who they wanted to support. It was wrong no matter how you look at it. I suspect there would be more outrage here and in the media had a teacher asked children to find fault with Obama by reading through the health care bill or other things he passed and sent it on to Romney's campaign.

The teacher sucks and needs to be fired. We don't need brainwashers in our schools.

The notion that the middle schoolers are doing research "for" the Obama campaign is absurd on its face. There is approximately zero chance that they will uncover previously non-public useful information.

This sounds like a potentially worthwhile class project that Fox News and others have savagely attacked in their attempt to entertain and alarm their audience. Are teachers who try to design engaging curricula on politics and government expected to have to defend their choices from national media machines?

Telling children to uncover dirt on Republicans so she can send it to the Obama campaign isn't teaching. It's complete bullshit.

I recall doing this in school. We were told to watch news and read papers to gather information on the issues. Then we had discussions and debate. Finally, we chose our candidates and held a mock election. This teacher is merely brainwashing them and stopping them from free thinking. She shouldn't be anywhere near children with her tunnel vision and bias.

It's political activism that doesn't belong in the classroom.

Classrooms are for teaching young ones to be prepared for LIFE...not for becoming weights upon liberty.

Classrooms are for teaching young ones to be prepared for LIFE...not for becoming weights upon liberty.

And certainly not at taxpayer's expense, who should be protesting in the streets...

And certainly not at taxpayer's expense, who should be protesting in the streets...
...against the abridgement of liberty this incarnation of Gubmint presently stands...

Fortunately they are from Virginia and even college grads would probably come up with gems such as:

"He's Morman."

Actually, Fairfax County is one of the most educated and wealthiest areas in the US. Also, the school system is one of the highest performing, if not the highest, and the parents not only know the law, some of them write it. It's no wonder the parents jumped on this assignment. I doubt the teacher intended to do anything with the research, but the content and intent of the lesson was out of line. Not a terminatable offense but he needs a good talking to.

Fortunately they are from Virginia and even college grads would probably come up with gems such as:

"He's Morman."

Actually, Fairfax County is one of the most educated and wealthiest areas in the US. Also, the school system is one of the highest performing, if not the highest, and the parents not only know the law, some of them write it. It's no wonder the parents jumped on this assignment. I doubt the teacher intended to do anything with the research, but the content and intent of the lesson was out of line. Not a terminatable offense but he needs a good talking to.

And needs to be reminded of thier purpose in the classroom...Political Activism isn't one of them.

Next time? Fired.

I remember 8th grade...........

There was no such thing as a politics class........

We had a Civics class, where we did learn about the politics of the country and state. We did so by forming parties and having elections in the class. I do not recall any real politician even being mentioned.........

Mid way through the year I and 3 friends broke off and formed a third party and got one person elected to a position.......

I remember 8th grade...........

There was no such thing as a politics class........

We had a Civics class, where we did learn about the politics of the country and state. We did so by forming parties and having elections in the class. I do not recall any real politician even being mentioned.........

Mid way through the year I and 3 friends broke off and formed a third party and got one person elected to a position.......

Civics...and a decade past you I took 'Americanism Versus Communism' Rather intriguing class.
icon14.gif

Pure Fox/Pubcrappe for the dupes. Corporate media won't give a damn, some LW site will post the truth, the dupes will be on to the next gossip/"outrage"....pfffft!

It appears from FOX sources the school board may get involved. Big news? No, only to those who despise Obama.

Fuck you. Its brain washing 101

I'd have to see the entire class syllabus before I can get butthurt over this. My guess is that the teacher told the students she'd be sending their derp to Obama in order to get them motivated about the assignment. She's trolling the students as well as Fox News lol

It just the dims emulating the Soviets they want to be like.

They were so upset that the USSR fell (in the books) but really didn't. Putin is in charge... ;)

The radical American Communists migrated to the Environmentalist movement as another means to bring us down when the USSR fell.

(And even that isn't working out too well for them)...:eusa_doh::eusa_whistle:

I'd have to see the entire class syllabus before I can get butthurt over this. My guess is that the teacher told the students she'd be sending their derp to Obama in order to get them motivated about the assignment. She's trolling the students as well as Fox News lol

She told the students to do the research to find people on the Obama campaign to send it to themselves, that proves that your theory is wrong.

Forum List

Back