Utah bans target shooting over forest fire concerns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShootSpeeders, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,205
    Target shooting has caused 21 fires in Utah this year!!! Plus they cause horrible noise pollution. Target shooting is dangerous and stupid.

Utah Bans Target Shooting

Utah Bans Target Shooting In First-ever Initiative of Its Kind

July 12th, 2012

Utah’s state forester announced a ban Tuesday on target shooting in some rural areas in the first-ever initiative of its kind.

Dick Buehler said the ban will take effect Wednesday for specific target-shooting sites on public or private land in Cache, Davis, Summit and Utah counties.

The forester says much of Utah remains tinder dry and ready to burn. Buehler previously banned the use of exploding targets, fireworks and steel-jacketed bullets on unincorporated private and state lands in Utah. Steel-jacketed bullets can give off sparks when they hit rocks.

Five major wildfires were burning on national forests or range lands in Utah on Tuesday, half as many as a week ago. Fire crews were keeping the active fires largely contained.

Buehler’s order comes as another hot and dry week settles over Utah, raising the fire danger.

With sparks from bullets blamed for 21 of Utah’s wildfires this year, Gov. Gary Herbert and legislative leaders last week empowered Buehler to restrict activities outside of cities and towns, except for on federal lands that make up much of Utah. The U.S. Forest Service says it isn’t prohibiting shooting.

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    Buehler needs a day off.

I can understand the ban considering the circumstances, but target shooting is not "stupid".

3. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Gotta agree with Mr. H...nothing "stupid" about target practice. Stopping it while it is too dangerous to do it is smart.

Of course, with our increasing temperatures across the globe, could be restrictive.

4. ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,205
    Yes it is stupid. I'm a libertarian and i support letting people do what they want when it doesn't harm others but target shooting does harm others. It starts forest fires, and results in stray bullets hitting other people, and makes noise you can hear 5 miles away. Just so a bunch of drunken bums can shoot up the countryside.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    You can still taRget shoot indoors where it is controlled enough to protect everyone.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    those danged anti gun Mormons.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. hilbert

hilbert Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Wow! I'll bet the NRA is going "ape-shit" over this, and are convinced this is a plot by liberals to restrict gun usage!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Borillar

Borillar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I suppose the ban is only temporary and understandable given the extreme dry conditions. I don't know if the outdoor ranges are also closed by this ban. If not, that would probably be the best place for target shooting.

I disagree with the above poster on target shooting. I own several firearms and have taken part in hundreds of rifle matches. It is a terrific sport stressing safety, control, and concentration. Shooters are aware of their surroundings and especially what is downrange. Most hunters and target shooters I have been around are very conscientious about what they are doing, and police their areas and gather and dispose of their trash. If they ever caused a fire, I'm sure they would put it out immediately. I would never shoot after drinking or while drinking, nor would I put myself in danger by staying anywhere near someone who did. I think the stereotype of shooters as a bunch of drunken bums is quite offensive and quite mistaken.

9. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    But Willard shoots VARMINTS.

10. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings: