Usmb top chef

My daughter's turkey is the best! She cooks it in a cooking bag breast side down with a bottle of champagne in it. Then when it's done she takes it out of the bag and browns it under the broiler.

I don't make pumpkin pie because I got sick on it once. I much prefer sweet potato pie and have a wonderful recipe. I'll look it up in a bit.

But my rum cake recipe and my barbeque sauce recipes are secrets!

I have a wonderful silk chocolate pie recipe, but it calls for raw eggs, and I no longer trust the eggs we get to be safe, so I haven't made it for years.

If you want to purchase a wonderful cheesecake Junior's Cheesecakes in New York are the best, IMO, especially the lemon coconut! Junior's Most Fabulous Cheesecake and Desserts

Okay, Sunshine, cough up the recipe for the sweet potato pie. Please? :)

I would just use the traditional One Pie recipe and replace the can of pumpkin with 2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes...You could always vary the spices however you see fit. I like brown sugar and I'd even sprinkle in a smidgen of fine black pepper..The ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon...however you like. You can use a traditional crust or go with a graham cracker crust if you prefer...You could top edges with pecans or mini marshmallows...or not. :)

One-Pie New England Pumpkin Pie Recipe
One-Pie New England Pumpkin Pie Recipe from New England Recipes.com - FREE Recipes, Food, Online Shopping, and More The Best in New England!

Ingredients

1 can ONE-PIE Pumpkin Replace with ~2 cups mashed sweet potato.
1 tbsp. Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Salt (Scant)
1/2 tbsp. Butter (Melted)
1 1/2 cups Milk or 1-12 oz. can Evaporated Milk
1 cup Sugar
1/8 cup Molasses
2 Eggs (beaten)

Directions

Sift Sugar, Cornstarch, Salt, Cinnamon, Ginger, & Nutmeg together. Mix this with contents of [one can ONE-PIE Pumpkin] 15-16oz (2cups) mashed sweet potato or squash. Add Eggs, beaten, Melted Butter, Molasses, & Milk. Add a dash of Lemon Juice (if desired). Line a 9-inch pie plate, pour in contents. Preheat oven & bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Then reduce temp. to 350 & continue to bake for 50 minutes.

This is my garlic press:

8_7-cleaver1.gif

I would like to lay claim to the USMB Top Chef. Here is one of my most famous recipes. Please feel free to use it any time you would like.

BBD's Nearly World-famous Corn Flakes

Into a medium-sized bowl pour in corn flakes.
Once corn flakes have settled into the bowl (allow them to settle), pour in enough milk (whole milk) to entirely cover the corn flakes.
If wife is not looking, sprinkle on a large amount of sugar. If wife is looking, use an artificial sweetener.
Carry bowl of corn flakes to recliner in front of tv and set it on the tv table.
Eat cornflakes before they become soggy from the milk.
Slurp up milk and use spoon to eat the sugar that has settled on the bottom of the bowl.
Repeat entire recipe as needed.

Butternut Squash Bisque...

1 Butternut Squash
About 3-4 medium boiling potatoes...not the huge dinner type.
1 medium yellow onion
2 cups or so of Chicken Stock (it is worth it if you use real chicken stock...but if buying store brand..buy one with lower sodium)
1 TB of Paprika
1 celery stalk
1 Lg carrot or 2 smaller ones.
2 cloves of garlic pressed, or about a tsp of minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 sm carton of cream (don't skip this...it won't be the same without it)

Cut the potatoes and butternut squash and boil until soft in water with a little salt in it.
While that is boiling dice the onions, celery and carrots. Stir fry in olive oil until onions are opaque add salt/pepper and garlic and continue to cook until vegetables are soft.
Drain potatoes and squash, put back in pot and mix together with the vegetables and then add the paprika and Chicken stock. Cook for oh...5 minutes or so.
In a blender - liquefy everything into a bisque texture.
Add about half the cream...taste to see if it need more cream.

The secret to getting the texture of the soup right is knowing how much chicken stock to put in...which depends on the size of the squash and potatoes....too much and it will be too soupy, not enough and it will be pasty. But remember you can always thin it a little if too thick, but you can't thicken it if too thin so err on the too thick side.

This soup is spectacular with a roasted rep pepper/mozzarella/basil pesto pannini sammich.
Soup is velvety....FAAAAR more flavorful then potato soup and delicate on the palate.

BTW - I wrote this from memory and pictured cooking it while I wrote it out - so if something doesn't make sense...ask...I might have left something out, but I don't think so.

Thanks Iam. Sound yummy. We're currently without a blender but I think we have enough grocery store stamps to get one now. I'm saving the recipe.

USMB
topcheflogo.jpg

Some great recipes have been posted all over the board from the Coffee Shop to political threads to international threads to one in a religion thread. With the holidays coming up, this seemed like a good time to initiate a central location to trade recipes, discuss methods and handling of varius foods, use of various spices and seasonings, and our culinary expertise (or lack thereof) in general.

So I hope lots of folks will check in and help us out here. I love to cook, I think I'm pretty good at it, but I'm always looking for new ideas, techniques, and recipes.

Real chefs don't use garlic presses. You mince your garlic with a knife or do huge batches in the food processor. For single cloves you can press them out with the flat of your knife with a bit of salt.

Pitch the garlic press, it only takes up space in the draw.

Pecan Cake

1 pound graham crackers crushed
1 pound white raisins
1 quart pecans cut up (about 1 pound)
1 cup milk
1 pound marshmallows

In a double boiler melt the marshmallows in the milk. Pour on the crushed crackers and stir. Add raisins and pecans. Grease pan and put wax paper on the bottom. (Loaf pan works, but you can use whatever.) Press the mixture into the pan. Refrigerate over night. Slice thin to serve.

Instant Spiced Tea

2 cups Tang
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant tea
1 envelope lemonade mix (I use Country Time)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves

Mix all together. For delicious spiced tea use 3 - 4 teaspoons of the mixture dissolved in 1 cup hot water. (I mix mine a tad bit stronger than that.)

So many things handed down from generation to generation don't have a written recipe. Example: I make southern cornbread dressing to go with turkey or chicken, but I don't use a recipe. I just make some homemade cornbread, crumble it up, put in some sliced up celery, chopped onion, chopped boiled egg, salt, pepper, and sage. I soak it all with broth, stuff the turkey with some, and bake the rest. You can kick it up with a little fresh rosemary, but this year the herb garden fell by the wayside. You can also make oyster dressing by adding cut up oysters. I always used canned oysters for this.

USMB
topcheflogo.jpg

Some great recipes have been posted all over the board from the Coffee Shop to political threads to international threads to one in a religion thread. With the holidays coming up, this seemed like a good time to initiate a central location to trade recipes, discuss methods and handling of varius foods, use of various spices and seasonings, and our culinary expertise (or lack thereof) in general.

So I hope lots of folks will check in and help us out here. I love to cook, I think I'm pretty good at it, but I'm always looking for new ideas, techniques, and recipes.

Real chefs don't use garlic presses. You mince your garlic with a knife or do huge batches in the food processor. For single cloves you can press them out with the flat of your knife with a bit of salt.

Most of the time, they break.

USMB
topcheflogo.jpg

This is true...a good heavy knife does the job better...besides...when cooking Italian dishes with red sauces - the garlic needs to be razor thin so it completely melts in the hot oil.

Well I'm happy to report I've been doing it right all this time then. I have always chopped, minced, and mashed my own garlic, but figured that they wouldn't be selling all those garlic presses if "real" chefs didn't need them. :)

An easy basic Italian red sauce....you will stop buying Ragu after this.

2 cans tomato sauce
1 can crushed tomatoes (I prefer crushed, but if you like your sauce with chunks of tomatoes by all means use chopped)
1 med. sweet onion
2 cloves garlic...cut into as thin as slices as you can manage, if you don't have a quality knife - use a razor blade. Or use about a TB of minced garlic if you must.
1 carrot (that's right - a carrot)
small palm of basil
small palm of Italian seasoning (or about half oregano and thyme)
salt and pepper to taste.

Chop the onion and use a shredder to shred the carrots fine.
heat a heavy pot, when hot add a TB or so I guess of olive oil (using another oil will affect the taste and olive oil is good for you) - when the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onions, salt and pepper. Cook the onions until clear, add the garlic and carrots and cook another couple minutes or until the garlic is browned. Add the tomatoes. Cook another few minutes until the tomatoes have broken down...add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then simmer for at minimum 20 minutes...the longer it cooks the more concentrated the flavor.

If you like your sauce thicker, use a "boat motor" ...one of those miniature little blender wand things.
If the sauce taste to acidic for your preference you may add a toss of sugar into the sauce shortly before serving - but not very much - Italian red sauce is not supposed to be sweet for God's sake!

Last edited:
Well I'm happy to report I've been doing it right all this time then. I have always chopped, minced, and mashed my own garlic, but figured that they wouldn't be selling all those garlic presses if "real" chefs didn't need them. :)

Real chefs don't need them

But its a good sell to people who don't know what to do and ...think they need it.

Real chefs don't need them

But its a good sell to people who don't know what to do and ...think they need it.

It's a convenient way to crush an entire glove of garlic in two seconds flat without having to peel it or use a knife at all. I love it! :thup:

Forum List

Back