Using Condemned Killers for Medical Research????

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
I wonder....

How would you feel if there was a program funded by the National Institutes of Health that would do the following...

Survey those on Death Row as well as prisoners doing life sentences...to see if they would take part in a program to where we can test potentially life saving vaccines and other drugs on them.

The CDC reports that 12-56,000 people die of flue every year in the US and over 700,000 are made sick enough to hospitalize. This was reported in the Smithsonian Magazine 11/17 edition. The article goes on to mention that a researcher named Peter Palese has essentially created a vaccine that has produced an "immune response" in lab animals. He wants to test it on humans.

I am of the opinion that if suitable subjects can be found on Death Row or in the lifers in prison, we should allow them to volunteer to become subjects in these trials.

I am not sure how I feel about their being able to volunteer for more radical experiments though. I think with proper psychological testing to make sure they are mentally fit and are making the decision rationally...perhaps.

What are you gonna reward them with? You can't exactly shorten their sentences.
You can reduce the sentences to life, which is pretty much what many of these people are serving given how long it takes to execute some of them.

I think with proper psychological testing to make sure they are mentally fit and are making the decision rationally...perhaps.
Oh yeah, I'm sure most of those convicted murderers on death row are mentally fit and capable of making rational decisions. LMAO!!!

I think with proper psychological testing to make sure they are mentally fit and are making the decision rationally...perhaps.
Oh yeah, I'm sure most of those convicted murderers on death row are mentally fit and capable of making rational decisions. LMAO!!!

Well, that is why you have the testing. Now do you have anything constructive to add?

Not sure all would need a reward. I'm open to the reward being commensurate with the risk they are taking. At no point do I put them back on the street or anything like that. But I can see a monetary stipend to their family in the form of a one time payment or free college for their kids at a state college, etc... But it would have to be for a very risky type of experiment or very experimental vaccine.

It’s still medically unethical, the notion of those on death row ‘volunteering’ is questionable.

Is it ethical to not try every means available to cure cancer, prevent illnesses, etc. I'm not suggesting we see what would happen if someone swallows paint or whatever but for legitimate medical research in a controlled environment under FDA and (my preference) WHO supervision... I'm open to it.

I understand the point you are trying to make candycorn, but there is just something too creepy about doing that.

There are plenty of rewards. Better food, more time outside, transfer to a less violent prison, a television in their cell, in some cases, a couple of hours of darkness during sleeping hours, an extra shower, powdered cream and sugar for coffee. Rewards are no problem.

It’s still medically unethical, the notion of those on death row ‘volunteering’ is questionable.

Is it ethical to not try every means available to cure cancer, prevent illnesses, etc. I'm not suggesting we see what would happen if someone swallows paint or whatever but for legitimate medical research in a controlled environment under FDA and (my preference) WHO supervision... I'm open to it.
Should the person who cures cancer be allowed to get away with being a Rapist?
Cures cancer, goes to jail for tax evasion doesn't sound like we appreciated him properly for his accomplishment.

Cures cancer, goes to jail for tax evasion doesn't sound like we appreciated him properly for his accomplishment.

Different topic.

Different topic.
If we test a cure for cancer on a death row inmate and he shows it works should we reward him with his freedom for curing cancer?

Different topic.
If we test a cure for cancer on a death row inmate and he shows it works should we reward him with his freedom for curing cancer?

No. At no point would I dangle freedom as an incentive and that would be mentioned on day one, minute one. Other accouterments for them or financial incentives for their family? Sure. Not sure if you saw it but full scholarships for their family or someone they designate? Sure.

I would think that prisoners who have cancer would be quite willing to sign up for experimental chemotherapy for example.
Prisoners who suffer from diabetes or heart disease, HIV or even epilepsy could be candidates for trials. The value of real life human testing for existing diseases seems to be an untapped gold mine. In corrections facilities, you can also control factors that are usually left to the patient/subject’s discretion like diet, exercise, avoiding smoking and measuring the output and regularity of bowel movements.

Sounds like it could lead to trouble to me. Probably lawsuits by family members, maybe abuse by those in charge, if they do get sick from the experimentation, then having to provide them with potentially expensive medical care when they were previously healthy? This seems as if it could lead to more problems than solutions actually.

Forum List

Back