Used Assault Rifle Wanted

M1's used to only cost 300 then to 600, haven't looked in about 5 years though.

You can thank Clinton for that, he systematically had M1 Garands and m-14's held by the Government destroyed every year while President, even after the NRA offered to arrange selling them at a profit for the Government.

And the carbine has gone sky high because of that stupid assault weapon ban that used to be in effect. even though made in the US during the ban they could not be reimported to the US as countries got rid of them.

Yeah, I imagine they'll start going up again with the threat of another ban looming on the horizon. I'd like to have one a historical purpose.

Yah I agree about the AK-47. my only attraction to it was the 7.62x39mm round and throwing alot of lead.

An M-1 would be great, I'm such a WWII nut that I don't think I'd ever shoot it, I'd display it. I've never heard of a newer model of it, is there one?

I've actually thought about an AR-10. .308 caliber....I'd imagine that would have some knock down to it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECsUQD2a5U&feature=related

I'll have to check out Powderhorn in SA, the next time I'm that way. I think I've heard of that before, can't remember where though.

I actually played (in the store) with a Sig 550/551 the other day and fell in love with it. Expensive but a good looking piece of metal. I'm not up to date on it's specs and performance though. But then we're starting to get into extreme tactical rifles. I shouldn't need that for a stupid old hog. lol.

The M-1s I believe were surplus. Springfield Armory was making and selling replica's of the M1A1. That is chambered in .308 (7.62 mm NATO).

The M-1s I believe were surplus. Springfield Armory was making and selling replica's of the M1A1. That is chambered in .308 (7.62 mm NATO).

Most M1's and M1 Carbines were obtained in bulk from foreign militaries that finally sold off their inventories. As I reported earlier M1's from OUR surplus were ordered destroyed by Clinton, not sold. Before Clinton I am not sure M1's in surplus from the Military were sold either. I do know that NRA matches could allow you to buy one for completing a match.

Got my M-1 through the civilian marksmanship program:

http://www.odcmp.com/

That's cool. I checked the site, unfortunately it's out of my budget. I'm a newly wed...you know how that goes. I would love to get my hands on an M-1 for a decent price. Even if it's inoperable...I'd like it for historical reasons. If I found one that was in operating condition (at a good price) I'd bite on it.

Most M1's and M1 Carbines were obtained in bulk from foreign militaries that finally sold off their inventories. As I reported earlier M1's from OUR surplus were ordered destroyed by Clinton, not sold. Before Clinton I am not sure M1's in surplus from the Military were sold either. I do know that NRA matches could allow you to buy one for completing a match.

I actually have it on good authority that many were sold to the Phillipine govt. for two dollars a piece, under the Clinton Admnistration. The "authority" helped box them up at Redstone Arsenal. 40,00 rifles I believe and a few are makng their way back to the US. You are correct, most were destroyed, but not all. Also, several "did not make to the Phillipines." According to my guy.

That's cool. I checked the site, unfortunately it's out of my budget. I'm a newly wed...you know how that goes. I would love to get my hands on an M-1 for a decent price. Even if it's inoperable...I'd like it for historical reasons. If I found one that was in operating condition (at a good price) I'd bite on it.

www.budsgunshop.com

Check here. It's out of state, but as long as you can find an FFL to recieve it is no problem. They will help you find an FFL holder close to you as well. Prices are usually pretty good too.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534955

11510.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_135/products_id/11510

This would be fun to hunt hogs with. 30-30 usually did it for, when I was in school at BAMA, but I would like to try a .50 BMG on hogs.

11510.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_135/products_id/11510

This would be fun to hunt hogs with. 30-30 usually did it for, when I was in school at BAMA, but I would like to try a .50 BMG on hogs.

LOL good lord. That would be great. There'd almost be no fun in that. I'd be blast hogs at 700 yards.

The way I do it now, we sit in the truck next to a canal. THe hogs will travel next to it (usually on the other side), So with the right wind, we just wait, and they'll walk right by us, maybe 10-15 yards away. I beleive we'd have the cops called on us, firing a .50. LOL.

LOL good lord. That would be great. There'd almost be no fun in that. I'd be blast hogs at 700 yards.

The way I do it now, we sit in the truck next to a canal. THe hogs will travel next to it (usually on the other side), So with the right wind, we just wait, and they'll walk right by us, maybe 10-15 yards away. I beleive we'd have the cops called on us, firing a .50. LOL.

At the gunshop I mentioned in SA you can get an AK-47 for about $450. You can get an M-1A for about $800 and change.

At the gunshop I mentioned in SA you can get an AK-47 for about $450. You can get an M-1A for about $800 and change.

800 isn't bad for a nd M-1A. That's about what an AR-15 runs, and you're shooting a larger round. I may have to check that out next time I'm that way. I actually messed up a while back and bought two hand-guns and ticked my wife off. :redface: I could have put about 350 bucks towards one of those. Lesson learned I guess. My next big purchase will be an assualt rifle of some time. There's actually a pawn shop (of all places) where I live that actually specializes in selling some new assault rifles. They've got alot of the tactical rifles carried by Swat and special forces units. He has a Sig 556...and some others---I can't remember what they are...but they are certainly something you'd see on Rainbow 6, lol. But they're really expensive there. I'll find something eventually.

800 isn't bad for a nd M-1A. That's about what an AR-15 runs, and you're shooting a larger round. I may have to check that out next time I'm that way. I actually messed up a while back and bought two hand-guns and ticked my wife off. :redface: I could have put about 350 bucks towards one of those. Lesson learned I guess. My next big purchase will be an assualt rifle of some time. There's actually a pawn shop (of all places) where I live that actually specializes in selling some new assault rifles. They've got alot of the tactical rifles carried by Swat and special forces units. He has a Sig 556...and some others---I can't remember what they are...but they are certainly something you'd see on Rainbow 6, lol. But they're really expensive there. I'll find something eventually.

DUDE !!! You're supposed to tell the wife the guns are for HER! :badgrin:

I'm looking to buy a used assault rifle to use on the hogs. We've got loads of them, and I hate to wear my deer rifle out on them.

I'm looking for someone, or someplace that has really good deals on used guns, particularly assault rifles.

I'm looking between a mini-14, Ak-47, SKS, or an AR15.....I would perfer that it be somewhere in Texas (if you know of a place). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Forget the Mini-14 and the AR-15 - .223/5.56 is too small.

If an M1 Garand or an M14 variant isn't within your budget, get a cheap-O AK variant like a WASR-10. Ask your local FFL. I'll bet he has one in stock.

And never, ever, refer to a semiautomatic rifle designed for civilian use as an "assault rifle." Ever.

If an M1 Garand or an M14 variant isn't within your budget, get a cheap-O AK variant like a WASR-10. Ask your local FFL. I'll bet he has one in stock.

And never, ever, refer to a semiautomatic rifle designed for civilian use as an "assault rifle." Ever.

Seeing as how no such beast actually exists never refer to them that way ever, that is a term coined by the anti gun nuts to justify outlawing weapons.

Oh come on :rolleyes: ...that's what it is. A rifle designed for the military. It was designed as an assault rifle. Granted if it is for civilian use, its inentions are not for "assaulting" purposes, but it still is an "assault-style rifle." I will not, however, refer to such things as "weapons" seeing as though a weapon is defined as something used against someone else. It's a firearm until it's used to kill someone or protect yourself. My favorite anti-gun slogan that is seen plastered all over a violent crime story is "High Powered Rifle" lol. IMO, piece of led being projected over 1000 fps is high powered.... I agree with your sentiment, but do not really care if an anti-gun nut calls it a "death-causing killing-machine" a "blood-spilling destroyifier", or a "kick-the-bucket helper", it's still an assault rifle. Am I using it as an assault rifle??? Yes.....on HOGS....lol.:cool:

We used to hunt pigs down in Florida with a pistol. I used my Inter Arms Virginia Dragoon, .44 mag. Did an outstanding job, even at fifty, sixty yards.

We used to hunt pigs down in Florida with a pistol. I used my Inter Arms Virginia Dragoon, .44 mag. Did an outstanding job, even at fifty, sixty yards.

Yeah, .44 mag will reach out there. I have a Taurus PT 24/7 9 mm.
I know it's a smaller caliber compared to the .40 , .44, and .45, but the ammo is cheaper-- I do pretty good with it. I've killed two hogs with it, but they were only at about 15 yards...walked right by me both times. If you're a pistol person, Google "Nite Siters" and there is a guy that sells these tiny little glow in the dark dots that have adhesives on the back...you place them on your sites...they fit perfect into the recessed sites of my Taurus. You just hit them with a little lite for about 20 seconds each and they'll glow for 30 minutes. Perfect for night time hog hunting. I also bought a streamlight rail mounted LED light for it and it work great. The little glow in the dark dots are only 10$ for 8 of them. If you like that kind of thing, they're worth the money and very useful. I think he's from Arizona or something.

Forum List

Back