Used Assault Rifle Wanted

BrianH

Mar 10, 2008
Texas
I'm looking to buy a used assault rifle to use on the hogs. We've got loads of them, and I hate to wear my deer rifle out on them.

I'm looking for someone, or someplace that has really good deals on used guns, particularly assault rifles.

I'm looking between a mini-14, Ak-47, SKS, or an AR15.....I would perfer that it be somewhere in Texas (if you know of a place). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

I'm looking to buy a used assault rifle to use on the hogs. We've got loads of them, and I hate to wear my deer rifle out on them.

I'm looking for someone, or someplace that has really good deals on used guns, particularly assault rifles.

I'm looking between a mini-14, Ak-47, SKS, or an AR15.....I would perfer that it be somewhere in Texas (if you know of a place). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Where in Texas?

your going to mow down hogs with a AK-47?......is that standard operating procedure ?

I remember when daddy let me kill my first hog...he handed me the AK-47 and said...this next bastards yours son..
i selected my prey a.. particular ornery hog we called Mohammad..I took aim.. then let go a few well placed burst and it was done ..not one usable bit of meat left on the beast..

Buy an M1 Garand. 30.06 will take down anything. And it should be accurate. The AK 47's sold a lot in the US are Chinese made and are crap. They couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. The AR-15 is a small round and may not kill a big pig with one shot. Same with the mini 14.

Check out local gun shows and local dealers. If you have to buy out of State you will need a dealer to ship it to and buy from anyway. You are aware it is illegal to buy a weapon out of your home State? The process for that is you get the weapon sent to a local dealer that you buy from.

your going to mow down hogs with a AK-47?......is that standard operating procedure ?

I remember when daddy let me kill my first hog...he handed me the AK-47 and said...this next bastards yours son..
i selected my prey a.. particular ornery hog we called Mohammad..I took aim.. then let go a few well placed burst and it was done ..not one usable bit of meat left on the beast..

It's all part of the government plot. Of course, you knew that!

It's all part of the government plot. Of course, you knew that!

government plot?...I don't think so or I would know about it..no I think its just the classic boy and his hog story...unless you have any links to show other wise...all though....the hog story could be a bit of a ruse..given BHs
fear of the government thinking hes a terrorist ...it could be he is afraid to say he wants a assault rifle to exercise and protect his constitutional rights...but would be just a speculative theory....

dude.. just line the hogs in a row like at a monster truck show and see how many you can kill in one shot!

Or, find some teens in the local black metal scene and promise them all the blood they want if they bring their own knives.

or an assault rifle. that sounds like fun too.

Where in Texas?

WEll...preferablly central, south, or the coast. I'd be willing to drive if I found someone that had a good price on one. I'm kind of half looking right now. I don't have the cash in my hand, and still have to convince the wife. I'm just pricing right now.

There's not really a standard operating procedure for getting rid of hogs in Texas. There are many procedures used.

1.) Hit with your pick-up...make sure it hits the grille-gaurd.

2.)Trap

3.)Chase with dogs and stick with knife (not particularly my favorite, too much running and way to much blood)

4.)Feed them till you have their routine down to a science and annihalate them.

5.( My personal favorite) Keep an eye on the fields, when you see something torn up that wasn't there the day before. Take a few beers, roll down the windows in the 4x4 and just chill til they show up....then you annihalate them.

Note to reader: it is difficult to annihalate numerous hogs without semi-auto---given the terrain and lack of sunlight. :)

Buy an M1 Garand. 30.06 will take down anything. And it should be accurate. The AK 47's sold a lot in the US are Chinese made and are crap. They couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door. The AR-15 is a small round and may not kill a big pig with one shot. Same with the mini 14.

Check out local gun shows and local dealers. If you have to buy out of State you will need a dealer to ship it to and buy from anyway. You are aware it is illegal to buy a weapon out of your home State? The process for that is you get the weapon sent to a local dealer that you buy from.

Oh I agree, I would love an M1 Garand, unfortunately I don't have a few grand to pay out for one of those. And I am aware of buying out of state. Thanks for the heads up though.

I've heard about the AKs, as well as the SKS,s not very accurate indeed.
I'm more so looking to just get a lot of lead going one direction. Just to slow them up a bit, then I can knock them down with my .308.

People have actually had very good luck with AR-15 and mini-14 down here. I've had luck myself. It may not drop them in one shot, but it certainly allows for a second one most of the time. And usually if I'm faced with a mammoth, I'll bring out the .308.

I'm really looking for a semi-auto where I don't have to pay 20 for a box of ammo. Unfortunately .223 ammo has gone up (can't imagine why :rolleyes: ).

There's not really a standard operating procedure for getting rid of hogs in Texas. There are many procedures used.

1.) Hit with your pick-up...make sure it hits the grille-gaurd.

2.)Trap

3.)Chase with dogs and stick with knife (not particularly my favorite, too much running and way to much blood)

4.)Feed them till you have their routine down to a science and annihalate them.

5.( My personal favorite) Keep an eye on the fields, when you see something torn up that wasn't there the day before. Take a few beers, roll down the windows in the 4x4 and just chill til they show up....then you annihalate them.

Note to reader: it is difficult to annihalate numerous hogs without semi-auto---given the terrain and lack of sunlight. :)

I understand now your talking wild critters..in my hood when one speaks of offing hogs they mean farm pigs...and you said you had a lot of them ,so I was picturing hundreds of pigs ready for market and you in There like Sgt slaughter with a AK.....a completely different picture than chillin in your truck with a beer and a AK on a warm spring eve..waiting to send mohamad to the 7 virgins...that's a little more civilised...how are the beast for eating ?

Oh I agree, I would love an M1 Garand, unfortunately I don't have a few grand to pay out for one of those. And I am aware of buying out of state. Thanks for the heads up though.

I've heard about the AKs, as well as the SKS,s not very accurate indeed.
I'm more so looking to just get a lot of lead going one direction. Just to slow them up a bit, then I can knock them down with my .308.

People have actually had very good luck with AR-15 and mini-14 down here. I've had luck myself. It may not drop them in one shot, but it certainly allows for a second one most of the time. And usually if I'm faced with a mammoth, I'll bring out the .308.

I'm really looking for a semi-auto where I don't have to pay 20 for a box of ammo. Unfortunately .223 ammo has gone up (can't imagine why :rolleyes: ).

LOL, you do know that the US Government had to buy ammo from Israel?

I understand now your talking wild critters..in my hood when one speaks of offing hogs they mean farm pigs...and you said you had a lot of them ,so I was picturing hundreds of pigs ready for market and you in There like Sgt slaughter with a AK.....a completely different picture than chillin in your truck with a beer and a AK on a warm spring eve..waiting to send mohamad to the 7 virgins...that's a little more civilised...how are the beast for eating ?

LOL...I can see where offin farm-raised pigs with an AK would seem pretty onorthodox.

The one's we're after come out of dried up canals into open fields, and once you shoot, they high-tail it back to the canal. Once they get down in to them, it's really difficult to find them or keep up, unless you're on a four-wheeler, which brings up the danger factor a little bit. This is where the semi-auto. Your long range rifles come in handy when they get mixed up and high-tail it out into the middle of a field. Then they're screwed.

The small ones 50lbs. are the best to eat by themselves. They're tender and don't have so much of that 'wild' taste. The 50-about 250 lb. females can be eaten by themselves, but typically people mix them with beef to make P&B sausage. THe backstraps are good by themselves. Out of the females, the worst to eat are those over about 250, they have a pretty wild taste and alot of fat usually. You can mix it up for pan sausage or link sausage and it's not to bad if you mix it with beef or deer. The absolute worse to eat are your large boars. Their meat is really tough and extremely 'wild' tasting. But they're the best to take a picture with...usually pretty big and scary looking. Especially when they charge you....not fun.:redface:

LOL, you do know that the US Government had to buy ammo from Israel?

No I hadn't heard that. I'm not suprised. When I was working at Academy, I noticed that the .223 ammo shot up from a bout 2 to 3 dollars a box to about 10 dollars a box, I'm sure it's higher now.

I don't mind, as long as our soldiers have ammo to shoot, I don't mind taking a cut. :)

WEll...preferablly central, south, or the coast. I'd be willing to drive if I found someone that had a good price on one. I'm kind of half looking right now. I don't have the cash in my hand, and still have to convince the wife. I'm just pricing right now.

The Powderhorn in San Antonio is where I've always done business. Owned by a couple of brothers who inhereited the business when dad kicked off. They usually have a pretty good selection of military rifles.

I also would go for the M-1 Garand first. M-14 second. M-16 third. Winchester Model 94 .30-30 next.

I wouldn't go for a commercial grade AK-47, stamped-metal piece of shit unless I was REALLY hurting for a bullet thrower.

The Powderhorn in San Antonio is where I've always done business. Owned by a couple of brothers who inhereited the business when dad kicked off. They usually have a pretty good selection of military rifles.

I also would go for the M-1 Garand first. M-14 second. M-16 third. Winchester Model 94 .30-30 next.

I wouldn't go for a commercial grade AK-47, stamped-metal piece of shit unless I was REALLY hurting for a bullet thrower.

Yah I agree about the AK-47. my only attraction to it was the 7.62x39mm round and throwing alot of lead.

An M-1 would be great, I'm such a WWII nut that I don't think I'd ever shoot it, I'd display it. I've never heard of a newer model of it, is there one?

I've actually thought about an AR-10. .308 caliber....I'd imagine that would have some knock down to it
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECsUQD2a5U&feature=related[/ame]

I'll have to check out Powderhorn in SA, the next time I'm that way. I think I've heard of that before, can't remember where though.

I actually played (in the store) with a Sig 550/551 the other day and fell in love with it. Expensive but a good looking piece of metal. I'm not up to date on it's specs and performance though. But then we're starting to get into extreme tactical rifles. I shouldn't need that for a stupid old hog. lol.

M1's used to only cost 300 then to 600, haven't looked in about 5 years though.

You can thank Clinton for that, he systematically had M1 Garands and m-14's held by the Government destroyed every year while President, even after the NRA offered to arrange selling them at a profit for the Government.

And the carbine has gone sky high because of that stupid assault weapon ban that used to be in effect. even though made in the US during the ban they could not be reimported to the US as countries got rid of them.

Forum List

Back