USAir flight redirected

cbi0090

Feb 8, 2008
A passenger was alarmed by the phylacteries, religious items which observant Jews strap around their arms and heads as part of morning prayers, on the flight from New York's La Guardia airport heading to Louisville.

These are black square boxes they wear stapped to their heads and arms!!! I want to know how they got through security with these things???

does this really look like a bomb? really? i guess the HEBREW letters are a dead give-away. :cuckoo:

Tefillin1.jpg

As a 200+ pounder, the airlines themselves convinced me not to fly long before terrorism was even an issue. As far as I'm concerned, the nutjobs can do as they please with the airways. If something can even remotely be considered a security issue, the most extreme position will win the day anyways.

does this really look like a bomb? really? i guess the HEBREW letters are a dead give-away. :cuckoo:

Tefillin1.jpg
But Jillian, really, how much contact, acquaintance with or knowledge of orthodox practices does the average American have? If someone happens to catch something about Hannukah at the time of a Mennorah lighting, it would be unusual, most are watching MTV, the I need a husband harpies, or Idol.... Heck, most of them haven't seen a Christian pray, in person...

On the other hand, who was it that killed Rabin, Yigal Amir, face to face, and the controversies related to that one still go on.

The Case Of Yigal Amir - November 6, 2007 - The New York Sun

_39478676_amir_238.jpg
Yigal Amir

busriders.jpg
The guy on the left is NOT Amir...

pope_scarf.jpg

And the guy on the left as well as the other two are Catholic.

Catholic Friends of Israel: The Pope dons a Keffiyeh.

and there are likely Americans who would NOT recognise the guy on the left.....

We are an insular country.... No matter what we tell ourselves and anything not "ordinary" is totally suspect..

And yes, sometimes one who is one thing will dress up as something else, fake ID, no problem!

And honestly, how many actually know that Hebrew is not Arabic in a squared font!

show_thumb.php
ArabeyesAAHS__Arabic.gif

Arabic

CourierNew__Hebrew.gif
Kur2siv__Hebrew.gif
HindsightUnicode__Hebrew.gif

Hebrew
and the third one looks Cyrillic​

Tefillin1.jpg

Most people wouldnt know what that is plus if you can fit explosives into your underwear you can fit them in a box that size.

Was it necessary to wear it on a plane? Give me a break. I don't have a problem with religious practices or customs, done out of tradition or respect for the past, etc. but keep them to yourselves when they are not appropriate. It drives me nuts when people think they "have" to conduct themselves in public in some manner they know to be suspicious or, as in this case, odd and expect the rest of us to be sympathetic or understanding. It's irritatingly inconsiderate and selfish. I'm not particularly interested in why you think you "have" to do it but if you insist on setting next to my daughter on a plane with a box on your head don't be surprised if I insist on seeing what's inside the damn thing first.

Tefillin1.jpg

Most people wouldnt know what that is plus if you can fit explosives into your underwear you can fit them in a box that size.

But the flight attendents aren't "most people" and should have training for this kind of thing.
It is hardly unusual. I have prayed in airports with phylacteries myself when I had to take an early flight or whatever.
If staff isn't trained to distinguish a religious practice from a threat then I'd suggest better training.

Tefillin1.jpg

But the flight attendents aren't "most people" and should have training for this kind of thing.
It is hardly unusual. I have prayed in airports with phylacteries myself when I had to take an early flight or whatever.
If staff isn't trained to distinguish a religious practice from a threat then I'd suggest better training.

And when that Kentucky CHRISTIAN snake kisser wants to bring his stuff along??????????????????????????????????

I don't know about others, but I don't think anyone, ANYONE, need to go through the "OOOO, LOOK AT ME, SEE HOW WONDERFUL AND PIOUS AND SPECIAL I AM, I PRAY IN PUBLIC, AND I AM BETTER THAN THE REST OF YOU!"

Pompous, holier than thou, self-righteous, and other words come to mind.

As for flying, time the flight, before or after prayer time, so the whole world does not have to be inconvenienced and cater to this sort of thing.

And when that Kentucky CHRISTIAN snake kisser wants to bring his stuff along??????????????????????????????????

I don't know about others, but I don't think anyone, ANYONE, need to go through the "OOOO, LOOK AT ME, SEE HOW WONDERFUL AND PIOUS AND SPECIAL I AM, I PRAY IN PUBLIC, AND I AM BETTER THAN THE REST OF YOU!"

As for flying, time the flight, before or after prayer time, so the whole world does not have to be inconvenienced and cater to this sort of thing.

What an idiot you are. You have no respect for other people. And the only inconvenience came from the stupid airline, not from the kid in quesiton. He would have been more than happy to be left alone.

What an idiot you are. You have no respect for other people. And the only inconvenience came from the stupid airline, not from the kid in quesiton. He would have been more than happy to be left alone.

I personally think they should charge him $ for the inconvenience to the other passengers.

As far as being left alone, SUPPOSEDLY, the Hot Pants Bomber was acting based on religious concept, too. Are you up for "fair for one, fair for all" treatment?

It is not up to airlines to cater to religious practices that have NOT BEEN BROUGHT TO THEIR ATTENTION AHEAD OF TIME!

One can, on a flight with food, request Kosher, Halal, Vegetarian, and so on, or other considerations. However, arrangements are made up front, when booking, BEFORE BOARDING.

The kid could have explained, and if necessary, provided documentation. Instead, he inconvenienced others.

I can only imagine how the other passengers would have taken it had even one Muslim taken to the aisle to perform Salat in the middle of the flight.

Why do you think the kid should have accorded special privileges?????

Perhaps a better option would have been for him to have taken the train, and paid for the private room!

And Yup, the kid could have been dark, and OMG, Middle Eastern looking, might even have had an accent!

You mean like the old school highjackers?

1970: Palestinian gunmen force three planes with a total of 400 people on board to fly to the Jordanian desert, where the hijackers blow up the aircraft - from the United Kingdom, United States and Switzerland - after releasing most of the hostages; after 24 days of talks, the final hostages are freed in exchange for seven Palestinian prisoners

1976: The week-long hijack of an Air France airliner in 1976 is brought to an abrupt end at Entebbe Airport, Uganda, by Israeli commandos; they kill all the Palestinian hijackers and free 105 mostly Israeli hostages, but three passengers and one commando die in the raid

1977: German commandos storm a Lufthansa airliner in Mogadishu, Somalia, after a five-day stand-off during which Palestinian guerrillas have killed the plane's pilot; three hijackers die in the raid, while 86 hostages are freed

1981: A Pakistan International Airlines jet is hijacked and taken to the Afghan capital, Kabul, where one passenger is killed before the plane flies on to Damascus; the hostages are finally released after 13 days when the Pakistani Government agrees to free more than 50 political prisoners

1984: Two American passengers are killed after Shi'a gunmen divert a Kuwait Airways flight to Tehran; the stand-off ends after six days when Iranian security forces disguised as cleaners storm the plane

1985: One American is killed and 39 are held for 17 days when Lebanese Shi'a gunmen divert a TWA flight from Athens to Beirut with 153 people on board; the stand-off ends after Israel frees 31 mostly Shi'a Lebanese prisoners

1985: Fifty-nine people die when Egyptian commandos storm an EgyptAir plane seized by Palestinians and flown to Malta

1986: Twenty-two people die when Pakistani security forces storm a Pan Am flight carrying 400 passengers and crew after a 16-hour siege

1988: Two Kuwaitis are killed in 1988 when Shi'a gunmen hijack a Kuwait Airways flight from Thailand and force it to fly to Algiers with more than 110 people on board; the hijack ends after 16 days when the hijackers free the remaining hostages and are allowed to leave Algiers

1991: Singaporean commandos shoot dead all four hijackers who seized a Singapore Airlines flight

1993: Two hijackers and a woman passenger die when security forces storm a hijacked Ethiopian Airlines plane in eastern Ethiopia

1998: Pakistani commandos overpower and arrest three hijackers of a Pakistan International Airlines plane at Hyderabad airport; all 29 hostages are freed

1999: Kashmiri militants hijack an Indian Airlines aircraft and force it to divert to Kandahar in Afghanistan; one passenger is killed and a week-long stand-off ensues before India agrees to release three jailed Kashmiri militants in exchange for the safe release of the remaining hostages

February 2000: Afghans seeking to escape the Taleban regime hijack an internal Ariana flight with 164 people on board and force it to divert to Stansted airport near London; a three-day stand-off takes place before the hijackers give themselves up without harming any of the hostages

October 2000: Two Saudis seeking to highlight alleged human rights abuses in their country divert a Saudi Arabian Airlines plane to Baghdad before surrendering to the Iraqi authorities

March 2001: Saudi Arabian security forces storm a Vnukovo Airlines plane at Medina airport after it is taken over by Chechen separatists during a flight from Istanbul to Moscow; more than 100 passengers and crew are freed, but three people - one of the hijackers, a Russian air stewardess and a Turkish passenger - are killed

Or like the 9/11 guys, or the shoe bomber, or the eunuch bomber and don't even get me started on Canadian geese. :razz:

And Yup, the kid could have been dark, and OMG, Middle Eastern looking, might even have had an accent!

1970: Palestinian gunmen force three planes with a total of 400 people on board to fly to the Jordanian desert, where the hijackers blow up the aircraft - from the United Kingdom, United States and Switzerland - after releasing most of the hostages; after 24 days of talks, the final hostages are freed in exchange for seven Palestinian prisoners

1976: The week-long hijack of an Air France airliner in 1976 is brought to an abrupt end at Entebbe Airport, Uganda, by Israeli commandos; they kill all the Palestinian hijackers and free 105 mostly Israeli hostages, but three passengers and one commando die in the raid

1977: German commandos storm a Lufthansa airliner in Mogadishu, Somalia, after a five-day stand-off during which Palestinian guerrillas have killed the plane's pilot; three hijackers die in the raid, while 86 hostages are freed

1981: A Pakistan International Airlines jet is hijacked and taken to the Afghan capital, Kabul, where one passenger is killed before the plane flies on to Damascus; the hostages are finally released after 13 days when the Pakistani Government agrees to free more than 50 political prisoners

1984: Two American passengers are killed after Shi'a gunmen divert a Kuwait Airways flight to Tehran; the stand-off ends after six days when Iranian security forces disguised as cleaners storm the plane

1985: One American is killed and 39 are held for 17 days when Lebanese Shi'a gunmen divert a TWA flight from Athens to Beirut with 153 people on board; the stand-off ends after Israel frees 31 mostly Shi'a Lebanese prisoners

1985: Fifty-nine people die when Egyptian commandos storm an EgyptAir plane seized by Palestinians and flown to Malta

1986: Twenty-two people die when Pakistani security forces storm a Pan Am flight carrying 400 passengers and crew after a 16-hour siege

1988: Two Kuwaitis are killed in 1988 when Shi'a gunmen hijack a Kuwait Airways flight from Thailand and force it to fly to Algiers with more than 110 people on board; the hijack ends after 16 days when the hijackers free the remaining hostages and are allowed to leave Algiers

1991: Singaporean commandos shoot dead all four hijackers who seized a Singapore Airlines flight

1993: Two hijackers and a woman passenger die when security forces storm a hijacked Ethiopian Airlines plane in eastern Ethiopia

1998: Pakistani commandos overpower and arrest three hijackers of a Pakistan International Airlines plane at Hyderabad airport; all 29 hostages are freed

1999: Kashmiri militants hijack an Indian Airlines aircraft and force it to divert to Kandahar in Afghanistan; one passenger is killed and a week-long stand-off ensues before India agrees to release three jailed Kashmiri militants in exchange for the safe release of the remaining hostages

February 2000: Afghans seeking to escape the Taleban regime hijack an internal Ariana flight with 164 people on board and force it to divert to Stansted airport near London; a three-day stand-off takes place before the hijackers give themselves up without harming any of the hostages

October 2000: Two Saudis seeking to highlight alleged human rights abuses in their country divert a Saudi Arabian Airlines plane to Baghdad before surrendering to the Iraqi authorities

March 2001: Saudi Arabian security forces storm a Vnukovo Airlines plane at Medina airport after it is taken over by Chechen separatists during a flight from Istanbul to Moscow; more than 100 passengers and crew are freed, but three people - one of the hijackers, a Russian air stewardess and a Turkish passenger - are killed

Or like the 9/11 guys, or the shoe bomber, or the eunuch bomber and don't even get me started on Canadian geese. :razz:

All profiled geese should end up cooked and plated, and with nice gravy, and some baked apples on the side!

As for the others, historically speaking, there have been some who pretended to be one thing but were something else, while committing terrorist acts.

Right now, who knows?

All profiled geese should end up cooked and plated, and with nice gravy, and some baked apples on the side!

As for the others, historically speaking, there have been some who pretended to be one thing but were something else, while committing terrorist acts.

Right now, who knows?

I'm hungry!

UPDATE: (btw)

I wanted to note that i lacked the post numbers to post a link before so here it is...

BBC News | WORLD | History of airliner hijackings

Second note the above link refers to highjackings but did not include, nor did I (I think) the Pan Am flight blown up over Lockerbie(sp?) Scottland in the 80's. (thanks Libya... a**holes)

Last edited:

The world wants to know. I've heard rumors that terrorist are almost as smart as Canadian geese. Can you confirm or deny?

The world wants to know. I've heard rumors that terrorist are almost as smart as Canadian geese. Can you confirm or deny?

No way to tell. The only wild goose I have had personal acquaintance with, don't know if it was Canadian, was silent. It was a Christmas gift from a hunter friend. That was by far the most marvelous Christmas meal I ever cooked, wild goose tastes wonderful!

Well before my little joke runs away from me, I do want to be clear that my point was, geeese aside, every terror act listed above was undertaken by a very narrow slice of the human experiance here on earth. And as dumb a gaffe as was noted in the OP, it would be beyond foolish to treat all 6 billion humans on the planet as if they were an equal threat to airline security. In no small part because the rest of the world has not declared themselves at war with us.

But MS tells the tale better than I.... (Oh, Canada!)
99-year-old Granny isn?t the problem - Mark Steyn, Opinion - Macleans.ca

Forum List

Back