US Senate Report Officially Blames Top Bush Officials for Torture

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Epsilon Delta, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Epsilon Delta

Epsilon Delta Jedi Master

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Senators accuse Rumsfeld over abuse of detainees | World news | The Guardian

U.S. report blames Rumsfeld for detainee abuses - International Herald Tribune

Senate torture report confirms Bush, top officials guilty of war crimes

A copy of the summary can be found here:

http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/supporting/2008/Detainees.121108.pdf

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Meh, not surprising. They are all at fault but since he's about to leave may as well dump it all on just one.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    soon the us will use the tactics of israel....holding people with no charges, no attorneys...simply being held unable to notifiy their people or any of that...odd how great democracy work isnt it?

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    As I said many times, the terrorists won, they have even recruited a ton of US citizens to their tactics.

Oh, and Strolling, your sig is a bit wrong, satanists celebrate christmas to, the pagans celebrate Yule to which the only difference between christmas and Yule is Yule doesn't have to leave babies in the cold.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    While I do not doubt that the Bush II administration set the tenor of Abu Ghraib, and I certainly feel that the leaders in the chain of command should be called to account for that, but I want to say something about personal responsibility and the absolution from guilt that we do often give those who are merely obeying orders.

I really do object to the "I was only ordering the trucks" defence of underlings when it comes to crimes against humanity.

This is what I would say to anyone who used the "good soldier defence"

No, I think, you bear a full measure of responsibility, too. You did the monster's dirty work.

No dictator works alone. The monsters you willingly followed cannot be monsters at the top unless people LIKE YOU are willing participants in their crimes.

The henchmen are just as responsible for their carrying out orders as the monsters who gave them.

I point this out because, if we often do NOT hold the minions responsible for their actions.

If we did, it might be somewhat harder for the next monster to find minions to do their dirty work.

I have to tell you in editecotopia, if a criminal regime takes power and commits crimes against humanity, everybody who carried out those crimes, from generals to privates would be held to account for their part in the crime.

The "good soldier" defence just doesn't wash with me.

It takes an army of "good soldiers" and functionaries to make a tyrannical government work.

AFAIC, the whole chain of command involved in this sort of crime needs to answer for the crimes it committed.

Saddam wasn't shit without his supporters, know what I mean?

The supporters of tyrants should NOT get a pass.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    the satanist was a hard call...could you imagine the hell i would catch for wishing the satanists a merry christmas....come on kitten you been typing here too long to expect me to do that....i had two options..merry christmas or happy yule....or merry yule...

it is their high holy days they will work themselves in a rage without any imput from pagans lol...you have seen them already...war on christmas etc.

o you will love this..man and i go shopping for christmas cards..he asks why we buy christmas cards when i am a witch..i reply...cause there arent any winter solstice cards at hallmark....(my bad for waiting so long i should order them off the net) so he goes and ask the clerk where they are...she looks at him like he is from another planet and takes us to the end of the row where all the ...no one buys this shit...cards are....still no solstice cards..then as we leave he wishes the clerk a happy winter solstice....she just smiles that ...i am really dumb but kinda hot look...and replies...happy winter solstice to you...at which...i ask her if she even knows when it is....she doesnt....so why poke them with a stick when you dont have to...okay sometimes its fun...i will give you that....but i am trying to be respectful...to all...i will admit the mormon guy is getting to me...lol...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    omg i am slow this morning.....it just hit me...leave babies in the cold...man is wondering what suddenly make me burst out laughing...hard....good one...i think you will catch hell for that but i got your back on that one....

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Make your own.

With the internet's enormous library of images, and cheap printers, its probably cheaper than buying Hallmark cards, anyway.

9. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    I agree with you 100%, but that was the most broken up ans scattered post I have read yet, and mine aren't all that coherent either.

10. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Torture in and of it's self is not a evil act. Just as the validation or condemnation of the act is not a black or white issue.