US Ranks 41st worldwide in infant mortality, 42nd in life expectancy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DeadCanDance, Aug 12, 2007.

1. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Disgraceful. Richest nation on the planet, and our infant mortality and life expectancy is on a par with developing countries:

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    That's must be because America is full of bad people.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,922
    Actually it has a lot to do with the fact people like former Senator Edwards sue doctors that deliver babies and drive them out of buisness with frivilous law suits.

There are places in the US with no doctors of that specialty for hundreds of miles, and in some cases nearly whole states are devoid of the specialty because lawyers convince Juries that downs syndrome and other birth defects were somehow caused by doctor malpractice.

4. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I'd like to see a case where down syndrome was blamed on medical malpractice considering its cause is purely genetic. Got a link there RGS?

5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    its the all you can eat buffet of crap mentality of the USA

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    So 5 and a half years separates the 42nd ranked country from the 1st? :doubt: The life expectancy ranking is no big deal in my eyes. I'd rather live 78 years in the US rather than 83 in bumfuck Andorra. So ze Germans (79.0) and the Brits (78.7) pay a significant amount of taxes for socialized healthcare but only outlive us by a few months in the long run? Pffft, I'd rather die a few months earlier than give 10% more of my wages to the government for 70 years.
    http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/idbagg

The infant mortality rate is actually the only figure worth noting in the article. I think the article is over reactive. We're still on par with the rest of the developed Western world as far as the numbers go, but I will agree that we can do better. I don't support socialized medicine but I would support a uniformed, national health insurance that covers all working Americans. The current system has so much fraud, waste, and abuse as a result of being in the pockets of big pharma and insurance companies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Alpha1

Alpha1 NAVY

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Over-reactive is an understatement....and only the moron hacks like DCD see it as some kind of disgrace....
    Dirt said it best...."I'd rather live 78 years in the US rather than 83 in bumfuck Andorra." (with dumfuck dcd as a neighbor)
    Eating fuckin' steak and lobster with a cool brew is my problem, and one that I can't wait to enjoy again and again....
    DCD is some is such a hack shes beginning to sound demented .....

Americans might be killing themselves with the good life....but thats our choice.....when I go...it will be with a smoke in one hand and a lager in the other, hopefully with a bloody New York strip in front of me ....and fuck your anti-American propaganda.....:badgrin:

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,922
    Ohh DARN, it wasn't Downs, it was Cerebral palsy. Edwards potentially drove doctors out of buisness and created a false need for cesearian sections for fear of frivilous lawsuits that idiotic Juries would buy into.

The Judge in his landmark case even called it ridiculous.

Horrible source I am sure, but here is a quick eye opener....

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edwards#Legal_career

9. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I wonder about the statistics that go into the infant mortality rate.

Does the fact that our nation is giving birth to an increasingly large number of multiples (twins, triplets, quads, quints, etc.) that often are premature and come with serious health difficulties adding to this rate?

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    So now instead of driving them out of business its "potentially drove them out of business"? And where did the judge call it ridiculous? If the judge truly thought it was ridiculous the judge could have overturned the verdict, which he did not.

Besides the fact...here is an actually decent article on why there is a shortage of physicians...not the partisan bullshit you like to post. http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/print.cfm?content_id=59315&parent=103

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1